Thread: Long life food tips.

Default Long life food tips.

Hello everyone I have just bought a van and I was thinking of food/drink to carry that requires no special storage etc and has a long shelf life I will have a small stove with me anybody have any tips apart from Pot Noodles I am struggling for ideas ,thanks .

We use "Look what we found" www.lookwhatwefound.co.uk that we get from Waitrose, but have seen it in other shops. They do lovely meals such as Fellside Beef Casserole etc. Real food with 100% natural ingreients. They just need heating in a pan til piping hot. Storage is in a cool dry place, no refridgeration and best before date is over 1 year. Very tasty and filling!

We also have a dehydrator that we use to dry chilli etc, just needs soaking in boiling water for a few minutes to rehydrate while I sort the rice. I use "Uncle Bens" express rice. This is meant to be microwaved, but you can do it in a pan with just a couple of spoons of water and boil for 3 minutes!!
    Last edited by kharga; 10th-November-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: more info

My van always has some pasta and pesto sauce in the cupboard.

The are loads of other options for healthy stuff. A jar of anchovies, pastrami, beef jerky....

Pre-cooked chilli lasts a good few days in a cool box... Especially if its frozen first, it will defrost over a day or so, keeping everything else cool as it does!

These new, Uncle Bens Express Rice in a bag are very good. You can warm them in about a minute, using hardly any gas!

You don't have to go with packet stuff though..... Veg, meat and carbs will last for ages if it's stored in a cool dark place...

Of course, if you are winter camping you can take perishables anyway, as you will be camping in a fridge :-)

What a cool thread...it has great potential me thinks!!

This may be of interest to you - http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...per-Conversion

What van have you bought??

Eggs will last for weeks stored in a cupboard with pointed end down...bacon will last a long time as well stored in a dark cool cupboard.

Skimmed longlife milk/powdered milk......

Thanks for the replys Kharga &Wavecloud will have a look about at the weekend,I have bought a VW T4 panel van nowt exciting.I am terrible at remembering things even its just for a day trip the idea of having a stocked larder in the van so a brew and some food is available takes away that problem.Tried a few coffee whiteners /powdered milk and non have been that good anybody know where to buy those little pots of milk you get in service stations etc.Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by chjo View Post
    Thanks for the replys Kharga &Wavecloud will have a look about at the weekend,I have bought a VW T4 panel van nowt exciting.I am terrible at remembering things even its just for a day trip the idea of having a stocked larder in the van so a brew and some food is available takes away that problem.Tried a few coffee whiteners /powdered milk and non have been that good anybody know where to buy those little pots of milk you get in service stations etc.Cheers.
    Of course real Milk will always be nicer than powdered, but not many people seem to realise that powdered milk should not be used with boiling water. It just scalds and seals it into little lumps. Mix it in a small amount of cold water and you get a much better result I find. Also powdered milk does eventually seem to go off after a few months and no longer mixes properly.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Stuttieboy gets milk sachets in bulk but not sure where??

I'm sure he'll come in soon...........? :-)

Powdered milk is best as Matto described for sure!

Instant coffee one-cup sachets, with or without milk & Sugar, Dairystix for milk, (From Amazon), Though I prefer condensed milk in squeezy tubes, though it's very sweet so not to everyones taste.
    Favourite de-hydrated food to have in reserve is Vesta chow mein, Bit of a faff to cook the crispy noodles but I love it !

Quote Originally Posted by Matto View Post
    Of course real Milk will always be nicer than powdered, but not many people seem to realise that powdered milk should not be used with boiling water. It just scalds and seals it into little lumps. Mix it in a small amount of cold water and you get a much better result I find. Also powdered milk does eventually seem to go off after a few months and no longer mixes properly.
    I totally agree. While working in Egypt, fresh milk was not available, so I took powdered milk. I would put a measured amount into a 500 ml plastics bottle, add cold water, shake well and then it would be ready for my breakfast cuppa and muesli (got utterly sick of hard boiled eggs and cheese triangles after the first season out there)

Rat packs are available on Fleabay. If they keep our soldiers fed, must be good enough for us mere mortals. Subsidises the lads' pay too.

On camping trips I take sterilised skimmed milk, 0.5l cartons, one per day and throw away any not used. In the boat, I do as Matto says with powdered milk, I keep a little pot in with the tea bags.

Starbucks now do instant coffee with added real coffee microgranuals. It really is very good although quite expensive. You have to have a little luxury especially if you are teetotal.

As to proper food, tinned curry you really can't go wrong with if you have a stove. And you ought to be able to rustle up a flat-bread with some flour and water.

Anything tinned should last for years. When we go camping ... we arrive, pitch the tent(s), fire up the Primus, boil a kettle ... tea/coffee/whatever ... then add into a single pan .. 1 tin chopped tomatoes, 1 tin new potatoes (discard the water in the tin) and one tin of stewing steak ... bring to the boil & tuck in.
    Why does food, even really basic food, always taste sooooo much better when you're camping?
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

Thanks everyone some good tips/ideas keep them coming,cheers.

Several years ago I had a similar dilemma, I tried all sorts of dried mixes, pot noodles in a packet type things but realised that all these things require water and water storage in a small van or camper is at a premium, especially on long trips through mainland europe ( if you don't know where to get free potable water then bottled water gets costly) so opted for a lot of canned goods. Being in a vehicle makes weight less of an issue. Canned new potatoes and other veg or beans (black eyed and such) can be cooked in their 'juices', tinned tomatoes are so versatile and the juice is enough to cook a small amount of pasta. When water is not an issue stock cubes, rice, pasta and dried mushrooms are great long term ingredients. Many hot chocolate drinks need no milk additives nor does black coffee (my main beverage).

Rob.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

As well as all the suggestions above, chopped tomatoes come in cardboard cartons as an alternative to tins. Chorizo sausage / pepperami keep for ages in a cool dark place, and can be added to pasta or rice sauces. Tinned or plastic cartons/jars of fruit salad or peaches plus packet of instant custard make a cosy pudding.

For breakfasts 'Oats so simple' or the own brand equivalent - single portion sachets of porridge oats - tear open and tip into pan together with a couple of tablespoons of powdered milk. Fill sachet with water, add to the pan - bring to the boil - simmer for 2 minutes (stirring all the while) then eat out of the pan. Yummy. Or variety breakfast cereal packs.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    Stuttieboy gets milk sachets in bulk but not sure where??

I'm sure he'll come in soon...........? :-)

Powdered milk is best as Matto described for sure!
    The milk i've been using recently for fishing and canoeing is dairystix. They are really robust ,with minimal rubbish to worry about . I get them from one of my contacts who has them at wotk

The pasta 'n' sauce things are not too bad. Very easy to do in the pot cozy,as are noodles.

Just googled Dairystix 1.50 for 20 at Tesco or 5.50 for 200 online will buy 200 shud last a while,just like to say how helpful and friendly you lot on here are thanks again.

Jumbo Porridge Oats..... No milk necessary, goes really well with tinned prunes or honey!

Smash!

Biscuits, a good little filler to dunk in your tea/coffee,
    and Yes my with says Im common for doing it.
    and Yes I'm proud to be common
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    Jumbo Porridge Oats..... No milk necessary, goes really well with tinned prunes or honey!
    Yep get plenty of porridge.. If you are out in the van then you are probably 'out amongst it' and will need slow release carbs. Hot porridge with a banana and honey added was my ultimate surf breakfast. Ive gone all day on it, keeping me warm and surf fit..I'd out last the fry-up boys. For general meals Whole Earth dry veggy burger mix is nice with baked beans and a fried egg or two or three. Packets of Knorr pasta sauce mixes..ie all you do is add water and boil up add some kethchup..bingo. Or you could gather or catch wild foods!!! Oh BEER I forgot beer.
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 20th-November-2011 at 09:19 AM.

I like Morissons home brand "smash",comes in a variety of flavours(roast onion,garlic and rosemary,etc) I then stir in a tin of smoked mackeral (John Wests is best) or tuna..mmmmmm.

I agree with ratty,and dunk a good "hob-nob"aswell.
    "What is this life,if full of care,we have no time to stand and stare......"