Thread: Twisted bridal issues

Default Twisted bridal issues

My bridal keeps getting twisted when sailing, I can't quite figure out why, but it seems to ens up with three or four turns on it. A simple small 20 or 30 mm swivel block tied to the end of the sheet should be able to stop it twisting, would it be strong enough for a 4m Bermuda rig?

Bridle! Please! Otherwise you'll get us banned! What twists and turns happen in the bridal area are no concern of ours!
    Juvanile delinkwit, vaguely faffing around with a pair of pliers. Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end mig!

Whoops!
    Good job I didn't ask about why I keep tying my bridal up in knots!!!!

I'm struggling to visualise how this is possible without the rig coming out.

What kind of line is it made from? Do you flake it out carefully when rigging it? That is run thro your hands into a "tidy pile" in the bottom of the boat at least once? You might have inadvertently left twists in it from when it was coiled.

I think it will because you bridle will be made from twisted rope, rather than sheathed, or braided. I do not see this as a problem as the windward leg of the bridal (sorry- bridle) will still be taking the strain. Changing the bridle to an untwisted rope should cure the problem though if it annoys you.

Quote Originally Posted by windorpaddle View Post
    What kind of line is it made from? Do you flake it out carefully when rigging it? That is run thro your hands into a "tidy pile" in the bottom of the boat at least once? You might have inadvertently left twists in it from when it was coiled.
    I've tried untwisting the sheet but it still ends up twisting the bridle, it just annoying more then anything else.
    The block would run on the bridle, with the sheet tied onto the swivel.
    I'm guessing the loading through the swivel block wouldn't be too great.

I think I understand what you mean now, I'd been trying to work out how the whole bridle could twist on itself without the rig coming out and rotating, doh! I have a shackle on my bridle which slides a little bit from side to side when I tack, I just thread the end of the sheet through the shackle and tie a stopper knot in it. I know some frown upon this as it prevents close hauling the rig really tight but with the lugsail it's not a problem as it doesn't sail as well when oversheeted anyway. It's like a crude traveller arrangement I suppose and simpler and cheaper than using a block. Might not be such a good idea with your bermudan though.