Thread: How to stow an anchor in a canoe

Default How to stow an anchor in a canoe

I have puzzled over the safest way to stow my anchor in my sailing canoe. Safest not only for the canoe floor but also for the safety of the crew should the canoe overturn. I don't want the boat or the crew damaged by a stray anchor.

The only way I have come up with is to stow it in an old drybag, sit it on the floor and secure it to the front thwart. The bitter end runs through a rope loop at the bow and back the the thwart where it is tied so that the anchor can be deployed easily in just a few moments.

Does anyone have any really good way of stowing their anchor that they'd like to share? - I keep thinking there must be a better way than I'm doing it.

By the way - I have a 2kg plough anchor with 5 metres of chain and 30 metres of rope.

Steve C

Well, I suppose the simplest way would be to cut a hawse hole in the bow, then cat it in place.

I usually keep mine in an open topped plastic box at the front of the cockpit, to make it quick and easy to put out and put back in the canoe. I have never thought about the safety of myself in a capsize getting caught in the anchor (although i will give it some thought now). I have seen other people who keep it in a bag secured in the cockpit and that may be more secure, but can be a bit messy if the anchor is muddy or weedy which it usually is.
    I dont feed the anchor rope through a bow fitting because it can make it difficult to retrieve it on the water. I have a continuous loop of line that goes though two fairleads, one on the bow and one by the cockpit. The loop has a metal ring tied into it and the anchor rope goes through the ring and the bitter end is tied off in the cockpit. When the anchor is deployed over the side, i can pull the ring to the end of the canoe so that the anchor is off the bow. If i pull the ring back to the cockpit i can retrieve the anchor back into the cockpit..

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    I usually keep mine in an open topped plastic box at the front of the cockpit, to make it quick and easy to put out and put back in the canoe. I have never thought about the safety of myself in a capsize getting caught in the anchor (although i will give it some thought now).
    My real dread is that the anchor deploys itself when the boat is capsized. In the Severn where the tide can reach several knots it could be disastrous.

Steve

Point taken. Watching your boat disappear at 7 knots would be quite

Default A very useful tip

I have a continuous loop of line that goes though two fairleads, one on the bow and one by the cockpit. The loop has a metal ring tied into it and the anchor rope goes through the ring and the bitter end is tied off in the cockpit. When the anchor is deployed over the side, i can pull the ring to the end of the canoe so that the anchor is off the bow. If i pull the ring back to the cockpit i can retrieve the anchor back into the cockpit..[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing

MODS -please remove this post if possible.I made a mess up of the quote.
    Last edited by andre; 7th-November-2011 at 11:09 PM.

I have a continuous loop of line that goes though two fairleads, one on the bow and one by the cockpit. The loop has a metal ring tied into it and the anchor rope goes through the ring and the bitter end is tied off in the cockpit. When the anchor is deployed over the side, i can pull the ring to the end of the canoe so that the anchor is off the bow. If i pull the ring back to the cockpit i can retrieve the anchor back into the cockpit..
    A very useful tip.Thanks for sharing.

I use a continuous loop system, similar to what Dave S has described, but with a stainless snap clip that can also double for attaching a jib or gennaker. The anchor is stowed in a tough zip-top canvas bag (came with a professional cordless drill) that is strapped in within reach. Mine is a 2kg danforth pattern for ease of stowing.

As your boat is ply could you make an anchor locker in the front of the boat with a secured lid, even if it just held the chain/rope with the anchor held on the top with shock cord it would stop it falling out in a capsize..

Journal Entries

My anchor is a four prong fold up anchor.

So Ive been looking for 2 ft of orange builders plastic pipe and two ends...

I dont feed the anchor rope through a bow fitting because it can make it difficult to retrieve it on the water. I have a continuous loop of line that goes though two fairleads, one on the bow and one by the cockpit. The loop has a metal ring tied into it and the anchor rope goes through the ring and the bitter end is tied off in the cockpit. When the anchor is deployed over the side, i can pull the ring to the end of the canoe so that the anchor is off the bow. If i pull the ring back to the cockpit i can retrieve the anchor back into the cockpit..
    That's a neat idea Dave. I might try that.

Thanks

Steve