Thread: Ray Mears on the River Wensum

Default Ray Mears on the River Wensum

8pm ITV1 Friday.
    Ray's paddling the Wensum on friday. What's the access situation on this river. Does he get special 'celebrity' privilages.
    Paul.
    Just goin with the flow

Details here. Doesn't sound like there'll be much on the Wensum access situation.

Edit: click on to the Friday tab.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsmith View Post
    8pm ITV1 Friday.
    Ray's paddling the Wensum on friday. What's the access situation on this river. Does he get special 'celebrity' privilages.
    Paul.

Nice little programme, nonetheless. And nice canoe!

Wonder if there's an opportunity here to highlight that some think the general population should be denied the opportunity to paddle such places responsibly? I'll keep an eye on the ITV site in case there's any comments thread or similar. Only on mobile web tonight, so might not be able to check until later.

Default P,f,l,o,p

Very pretty film, but that call he did was nothing like the Kingfishers you get on this side of the country, also, he did

not light a fire, nil point's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    ...also, he did not light a fire, nil point's.
    Indeed, very disappointing. Bear Grylls would have lit a fire by rubbing two kingfishers together, and then cooked them on it.

Personally I was very unimpressed. He did a few minutes in a canoe and then took to walking in the river - and we're told paddles on the bottom are doing damage. Rolls eyes.

They had the poor native crayfish out in the air for bloody ages before returning it to the water. Can they breath air?

He seemed more interested in talking about the flowers and plants and spotting a water vole than access to the river or canoeing on it. Gone are the days when seeing Ray on TV meant I'd enjoy watching him make something or teach me something about bushcraft. He has some brilliant videos on YouTube, but those days seem to be behind him now. Very sad for me.

I'm off to watch one of his great YouTube videos I think.

Didn't think much of his paddling technique either!
    Kazbunny
    Don't dream it... DO IT!

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Indeed, very disappointing. Bear Grylls would have lit a fire by rubbing two kingfishers together, and then cooked them on it.
    And would probably give you the impression that was how it should be done! BG is dangerous to listen to most of the time, RM = factual most of the time( I say most due to not having all the detailed knowledge of a couple or so things mentioned in the programmes) and less likely to cause harm. I thought the programme was interesting and enjoyed it, the fact he did not get all political about access etc is not to the detriment of the show, if anything he showed that canoeing this river is not detrimental to the flora and fauna but enhances all paddlers lives by allowing us access to nature in a non destructive manner.
    His part about native and introduced Crayfish, builds awareness of the plight of our native species and the problems that arise by the introduction of species to our rivers/countryside that are not indigenous, rest assured that native crayfish was returned unharmed in any way.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kazbunny View Post
    Didn't think much of his paddling technique either!
    Me neither, but at least he's a step in the right direction after Griff Rhys Jones

Once the canoeing was over, I though the programme improved considerably

Getting a bit lardy though

11. Default

Quite watchable despite the 'tales of the riverbank' direction which could give a false impression of what is really going on with river access. Would have liked to see him start a fire and boil up a pot full of those nasty signal crayfish. I agree with the comments about the fat lad stumbling around the riverbed in wellies, not very bushcraft was it!

Well I for one respect his knowledge and his attitude to wildlife.
    If he paddles as bad as I do, then what does it matter as long as he gets to his destination eventually.
    Give the man a break
    If he doesnt want to get involved in the the river access campaign, then respect his decision.
    Personally I would like to see him on that born survivor programme.
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by GregandGinaS View Post
    Me neither, but at least he's a step in the right direction after Griff Rhys Jones

Once the canoeing was over, I though the programme improved considerably
    You had to mention 'the Griff Rhys Jones' thing.. it took me months of therapy to stop shouting at the tele.. KIN 'J' STROKE YOU IF YOU CHANGE SIDES ONCE MORE... Tablets , where's me tablets.
    ps I missed the Ray Mears thing.