Thread: River Ternoise

Default River Ternoise

RIVER TERNOISE SCOUTING.

I’m creating this thread because I bothered to go and do some research on this river and it seems like a good place to keep it. I don’t expect much comment particularly.

The River Ternoise

The River Ternoise is in the Pas-de-Calais department of Northern France in the region of Picardy. It is a tributary of the River Canche, which it joins just below the town of Hesdin and not far above Guisy, a regular Canche put-in. The locale is called the Sept Vallees (Seven Valleys) and is a recognised tourism area and I can vouch for its hilly, rural beauty.

As the River Canche is regularly paddled and I often find myself in this part of France, I frequently find myself looking for ways of extending the paddling options. The Ternoise is a very pretty river and has a few features that might add a little entertainment to a trip. The challenge is access.

The French rivers in this region do not seem to have much history of navigation, and since the industrial revolution have been mostly blocked by mills. Little thought has been given to allowing boats to access the rivers during this time, and French canoeists in the region, to not seem much interested in doing so, preferring to concentrate on slalom at a few specific places.

It’s not that anyone really objects to you being on the rivers - they don’t and there is an assumed right of access. It’s just that it is frequently physically difficult to get to the water and the mills can be very hard to portage around in some places.

So whilst visiting last weekend I did some scouting to look at some options on the Ternoise.

LOCATION 1 - HESDIN / HUBY-ST.LUE - D928 - RUE DE ST.OMER - Link

This is an inspection point only as the road is a long way above the river with zero acess.

Looking East upstream

Looking East focussing on a small weir and bridge rapid

Looking west downstream

LOCATION 2 - HESDIN - RUE DU MOULIN - Link

This is a potential access point just above a sloping weir approx 3km above Guisy.

Looking north to the weir - you can get into the river form where I’m standing

LOCATION 3 - GRIGNY - RUE DE L’USINE - Link

There is no access here, and a mill is pretty much blocking the river. At the levels in the photo, it is possible to shoot through the sluice gate, but at higher levels these can be closed off and the water runs over the fish ladder on river right. It does not seem to be possible to either get out of the river except possible to climb down the fish ladder which looks pretty hairy. River left is a death trap into the mill intake. Private gardens either side of the river.

River Left - Mill Intake

River Centre - Main Sluice Gates, open at current levels but river is quite low.

River Right - Fish Ladder currently dry but opens up at higher levels.

Weir Pool below main sluice - note the second drop.

Looking east - approach to the bridge

Above the bridge - height could be difficult in higher water

Below the bridge but above the sluice

LOCATION 4 - GRIGNY - RUE DU MARAIS / RUE DU PONT DE CHATEAU - Link

A pathway leads down from the Rue Du Marais to a footbridge on Rue Du Pont De Chateau, below the Mill at Grigny. Access is not great but is possible with a bit of a scramble down the bank next to the footbridge. Land upstream and downstream is private and fenced off.

Looking west

Looking east

LOCATION 5 - AUCHY LES HESDIN - RUE JEAN-BAPTISTE SAY - Link

There is a huge mill at Auchy. Virtually impossible to pass around. At some levels the sluices do open and the suicidal could give it a shot but it’s a stepped drop and not very friendly. Interestingly there is recent work to add a modern fish ladder to the sluice, but nothing else to improve access. There is no access to land either side of the mill or the bridge.

Looking west - very pretty but about 20ft below the bridge.

Looking east - ouch!

LOCATION 6 - AUCHY LES HESDIN - RUE DU PONT SIXTE - Link

A very strange location next to some sort of garden of remembrance or something. There is a footpath to the east and access looks possible although a bit of a scramble. Access is also possible literally just below the bridge looking west.

Looking west

Access below the bridge over the fence

Looking east - Access from the right of the picture along the footpath

So, in conclusion it is possible to access the river in a few places, but not easy. There are some dangers that are not completely possible to assess form the road, and there are few footpaths that lead to the river.

At the right levels (like in these photos) it will go. In high flows it could be very dangerous. I would recommend scouting all these locations before paddling.

Option 1 - put in at Location 2 and add 3Km above Guisy

Option 2 - put in at Location 4 and add 5km above Guisy

Option 3 - put in at Location 5 and add 8km above Guisy incurring the risk of shooting the mill at Grigny
    Last edited by Matto; 27th-October-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.