Thread: BCU Membership Fees

Default BCU Membership Fees

From UK Rivers Guide Book

Full Canoe England membership- 37
    Full Scottish Canoe Association membership- 30
    Full Welsh Canoe Association membership- 35

It is suggested there that the difference in cost is because only the CE membership gives access to EA rivers and BW canals.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

The worst case is that 7.00 of our fee goes to pay for access licenses and the other 30 yields very little or no benefit to the average recreational paddler. Certainly no tangible benefit because they have not obtained any new access in the last ten years.

Maybe I am being too harsh. I feel a Facebook question coming on... and another question for the AGM
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

The Scottish Canoe Association has more than one membership category. The Recreational member category for which the fee is 20 covers most of the usual benefits except coaching and competition aspects and no licence for EA and BW waters.

Also according to info on the SCA site " ... the British Canoe Union spends over 100,000 on annual licences on behalf of members (50,000)."

So by my calculation that is 2 per member!!!.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post

Maybe I am being too harsh. I feel a Facebook question coming on... and another question for the AGM
    Fingers crossed there will be more than the ususal croud at this years event, and I hope that questions are answered timeously at this event.

I do wonder why we pay so much more for what appears to be the lowest returns. I'm shocked at the recent life membership price rise, and wonder why the ratio to yearshas changed.

I hope the BCU clearly advertise the opening and cut off dates for motions. Just waiting to see how any annoucements on access policy tie into those dates, or perhaps I'm just being cynical.

I'm a BCU member purely because I'm a coach. If I wasn't a coach I would never join.

I resent the fact that part of my membership fee goes towards access to EA canals, I don't pay to ride a bicycle on the road so why should I pay to paddle a my canoe on a canal? Like a bicycle my canoe is powered by muscle only and does no environmental damage.
    Paul.

Canoeing is a series of brews seperated by stretches of water...

Used to pay it, certainly don't any more. I reckon if I pull a bag or two of rubbish out of the water each time I paddle I'll do far more for my local waterways than does the paltry share of that 37 that actually ends up being spent on doing something worthwhile.

BCU Fees what are they, you mean you pay to some organization that does nothing for you Never have never will.