Thread: Canoeing by Ray Goodwin

Default Canoeing by Ray Goodwin

I got Ray Goodwins book this week,and for a relative newbie to paddlin like myself I found it very useful.lots and lots of clear photos on technique and explains canoes inside out,which i found really helpful.Outside of doing course, and this forum of course ,this book has really opened up canoe techniques to me,now im dying to get out and try some of them,but the rain wont let up!!

Default I know the feeling

We had Ray's book a few weeks before our canoe arrived it is packed full of great info and some funny bits too! It saved me from an inpromtu swim last weekend when I remembered something he wrote, it's in my blogg "Ally611DR" , but all that is little solace when you have a boat outside, book in hand and the weather playing less than nice! Hope you get a break in the weather soon.
    Rob.

I got the book about 3 weeks a go and have found it really useful! From rigging my boat to paddle strokes which it helped me out for my 3* assessment!!

Really recommend this book!

Enjoy!!

Got my copy at paddle 2011 on sunday, looks like I am going to be busy

Default 'Canoeing' by Ray Goodwin - Review

Magikelly kindly passed me a copy of Ray Goodwin’s CANOEING to read and review. Having read a fair few canoeing books over the years, some better than others, I was hoping that Ray’s newest book would live up to its author’s reputation – glad to say I wasn’t disappointed.

In the nine chapters of Ray’s book he takes the reader on a journey starting with the origins of canoeing, through the construction of a canoe – ideal guidance for those considering a first or subsequent boat purchase – through how and where to paddle and onto the important second-order skills of safety, rescue, lining, poling etc. The final chapter examines expedition skills for the more adventurous paddler.

If I’m honest, my first impressions of the book were a bit underwhelming. It seemed broadly similar in content and style to many other paddling books. For a canoeist of a few years’ experience with a few canoe books already on the shelf, I initially reckoned that it was of only moderate value. I was however, to be proved wrong.

Over the couple of months that I’ve had the book, I found that I was regularly referring to it in preference to my other books. Ray’s writing style is warm and welcoming – clear, concise and not patronising. Every query I had seemed to have an answer, sometimes not the one I expected. The advice seemed appropriate for a British paddler with everyday information needs.

So, what is the final judgment? I think the value of this book is as a primary reference book. It may be a wee bit too involved for a beginner, and complex problems may need complex answers that go beyond what Ray has written. However, as the first book you reach for in any given situation, I think it is bang on the mark, so credit to Ray for providing what can justifiably be regarded as a handy bible for the British paddler. If you’ve Book Tokens to spend in the New Year, you could do a lot worse than to use them to add Ray’s book to your shelf.
    Robbie & Steph

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger-Paddlers View Post
    It may be a wee bit too involved for a beginner, and complex problems may need complex answers that go beyond what Ray has written. However, as the first book you reach for in any given situation, I think it is bang on the mark
    Ray Goodwin's book certainly isn't a US style “primer” like Gary and Joanie McGuffin's Paddle your own Canoe. That's a visually stunning “illustrated guide to the art of canoeing” which stands out first and foremost as a preliminary training course offering a really admirable but very North American “grounding” in the basics - a foundation for going out to learn and build experience under the watchful eyes of a coach or more experienced or peers.

Ray's book seems to reflect a more British “try first, ask questions later” mentality. In short, it is more like a companion to be consistently revisited on the journey through experiential learning. The structure and content all reflect this “handbook” rather than “user manual” mentality: Canoeing reads like a book to be dipped into and mined for hints and tips on how to think for oneself as one seeks to develop as a paddler.

Typically, the text of Ray's book is littered with digressions into other people's experiences: he uses narrative accounts which will give up additional insights to the reader as he or she progresses rather than seeking, in the manner of the McGuffin's, to present a schematic guide overview that is clear even on a first pass.

One distinctive aspect is the mention of “movement and grace” and “the dance”: of “what it is to be at one with the movement of canoe and current”. Many of us would agree that “handled well, the canoe takes on a life of its own and shows a willingness to do the moves”, but that's not easy to convey to someone who's not already "got it". On the other hand, anyone starting to "get it" could read and re-read entire chapters in that light to good effect.

Another distinctive aspect is the focus on his own nirvana of co-ordination of two people in a single boat,“effortlessly reading each other's minds and body movements” with understanding being shared to allow perfect control of “a beautiful ballet”. This strikes me as a quite bold vision to articulate in the UK, where "advanced" paddling tends to be solo... but by giving equal weighting to solo and tandem paddling, including in the chapters on more "advanced" paddling, he challenges this mindset most effectively.

Combining these two themes, the book triumphs in showcasing what canoeing can offer to those willing to work their way into the sport as currently practised in the UK. As such, I suspect the book will go down as a classic: as embodying a moment in British Canoeing even when everything has moved on.
    Last edited by GregandGinaS; 30th-December-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger-Paddlers View Post
    Magikelly kindly passed me a copy of Ray Goodwin’s CANOEING to read and review. Having read a fair few canoeing books over the years, some better than others, I was hoping that Ray’s newest book would live up to its author’s reputation – glad to say I wasn’t disappointed.

In the nine chapters of Ray’s book he takes the reader on a journey starting with the origins of canoeing, through the construction of a canoe – ideal guidance for those considering a first or subsequent boat purchase – through how and where to paddle and onto the important second-order skills of safety, rescue, lining, poling etc. The final chapter examines expedition skills for the more adventurous paddler.

If I’m honest, my first impressions of the book were a bit underwhelming. It seemed broadly similar in content and style to many other paddling books. For a canoeist of a few years’ experience with a few canoe books already on the shelf, I initially reckoned that it was of only moderate value. I was however, to be proved wrong.

Over the couple of months that I’ve had the book, I found that I was regularly referring to it in preference to my other books. Ray’s writing style is warm and welcoming – clear, concise and not patronising. Every query I had seemed to have an answer, sometimes not the one I expected. The advice seemed appropriate for a British paddler with everyday information needs.

So, what is the final judgment? I think the value of this book is as a primary reference book. It may be a wee bit too involved for a beginner, and complex problems may need complex answers that go beyond what Ray has written. However, as the first book you reach for in any given situation, I think it is bang on the mark, so credit to Ray for providing what can justifiably be regarded as a handy bible for the British paddler. If you’ve Book Tokens to spend in the New Year, you could do a lot worse than to use them to add Ray’s book to your shelf.
    What a great summery of RG's book, I am sure it will have people clicking onto amazon I just have

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    What a great summery of RG's book, I am sure it will have people clicking onto amazon I just have
    or go directly and let Ray have more of the profit

Just to let folk know that Pesda Press have just ordered a reprint of the book. Six months in and sales have been fantastic. Thank you for the reviews and comments. All have been noted.

There are still copies available both direct from myself, Amazon, canoe shops, etc.

Thanks all

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

Quote Originally Posted by RayGoodwin View Post
    Just to let folk know that Pesda Press have just ordered a reprint of the book. Six months in and sales have been fantastic. Thank you for the reviews and comments. All have been noted.

There are still copies available both direct from myself, Amazon, canoe shops, etc.

Thanks all

Ray
    Ray is there anychance i can buy a signed copy please ?

No problem. Email me on GoodwinRay@aol.com and I will send you details.

Kind regards

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

email sent and thanks

My wife bought me Ray's book a couple of weeks ago, and its great!

I like the style of writing, clear concise, not patronising, great photos and photo sequences, and covers a wide range of aspects of canoeing. I started canoeing last year and know the basics, but this book has helped me to understand more perhaps why I do what I do, and has opened up new strokes / techniques etc - which Ive not really had the chance to try yet, I have to admit!

But a really nice book to own, helpful, informative and a pleasure to read.