Thread: Working with Anglers

Default Working with Anglers

Here is a quote from Dorado on the Anglers Afloat forum

"I couldn't agree more about the litter and I know it was raised on the Whitby forum a year or so ago - I think it was a shore angler who raised the subject and so many people were in agreement about it being a problem.

However, on the inland waters it IS the angling clubs that left to do all the work on riverbank conservation, flood dam removal etc. People who pay an annual lease to fish the river (an annual lease for access), do the work and then see canoists enjoying the water without paying a penny or turning to to help with the work on working party days.

"SO, a suggestion. Why don't angling clubs contact canoe clubs who use the same water and get them to send a few bods (some bods volunter) along to help. That would be one way to forge a joint relationship. I bet a day spent with sleeves rolled up together on the riverbank, hacking nettles and pruning alders would give both sides the chance to see that the other side isn't so bad after all."

This is an excellent idea... conversely, why don't canoe clubs contact angling clubs and offer their help? Alternatively individuals could approach their local angling club and offer to help.

This could be an initiative of the BCU... Liasion between BCU and AT, flowing down through the Angling and Canoe clubs... working together to help our precious environment. If this didn't work, then the BCU could organise river clean up days across the country though our own club network... publicised in Canoe Focus and on-line...

Maybe this already happens?
    Last edited by dougdew99; 18th-October-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    Here is a quote from Dorado on the Anglers Afloat forum

"SO, a suggestion. Why don't angling clubs contact canoe clubs who use the same water and get them to send a few bods (some bods volunter) along to help. That would be one way to forge a joint relationship. I bet a day spent with sleeves rolled up together on the riverbank, hacking nettles and pruning alders would give both sides the chance to see that the other side isn't so bad after all."

This is an excellent idea... conversely, why don't canoe clubs contact angling clubs and offer their help? Alternatively individuals could approach their local angling club and offer to help.

This could be an initiative of the BCU... Liasion between BCU and AT, flowing down through the Angling and Canoe clubs... working together to help our precious environment. If this didn't work, then the BCU could organise river clean up days across the country though our own club network... publicised in Canoe Focus and on-line...

Maybe this already happens?

Hi Doug

This does happen. I recently moved back to blighty after a long military career in Northern Ireland. While there I was one of many "Volunteer Canoe Rangers" organised by CAAN (Countryside Access and Activities Network). There was a similar venture for hillwalkers called "Volunteer Rangers".

http://www.countrysiderecreation.com...ger-programme/

You can read for yoursef the good work that they do, but clean up days were part of the voluntary package. It did, and continues to, work very well.
    Keltoi and associates - The sick and the wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    ...This could be an initiative of the BCU...
    "Initiative"? "BCU"? In the same sentence? Has the world gone mad?

Damn good idea though, I'd be up for it.

Default A Response from the BCU on Facebook

Doug - Canoe England has for a long time encouraged and supported river clear ups ..many of which have been reported on the website and in Canoe Focus. The vast majority of canoeists in addition collect rubbish each time they go out to dis...pose of appropriately or report the pollution to the appropriate agency (see our You, Your Canoe leaflet http://www.canoe-england.org.uk/media/pdf/youyourenv0206_lr.pdf). We have also organised clear ups in conjunction with ITT, one of our sponsors.
    Some canoe clubs have worked with British Waterways and the Environment Agency to assist in their waterways clear ups as well as initiating their own.

Canoe England has approached the Angling Trust to undertake joint working on many initiatives but have been turned down each time so clubs now occasionally work with their local angling club rather than try and get involved with the Angling Trust.
    Kind regards
    See More
    17 minutes ago LikeUnlike

I wonder what Mark at AT's response to that is? Maybe Dorado could post response on Anglers Afloat and ask a member of AT to pose the question to Mark about why they refuse to co-operate with the BCU? There are always two sides to every story
    Last edited by dougdew99; 18th-October-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

When I lived near Bedford the club that I belonged to, Viking, took part in river clean up days orgainised by the Bedford Borough Council. We all volunteered for a few hours on a Saturday alongside other clubs and groups, for example the local diving club and sea scouts, and anyone else who fancied getting involved. I'm not sure if any anglers ever became involved.
    Perhaps the best way for something like this to happen is to get a third party, like the local council, to organise a clean up and therefore keep a lid on any angler/canoeist politics.
    There is something very satisfying about cleaning up a stretch of water that you use!
    Paul.

Canoeing is a series of brews seperated by stretches of water...

Default working with anglers (river clean ups)

If your in Wales just contact Keep Wales Tidy 02920 256767 and they will provide you with equipment and liase with the local authority to have any waste you have collected disposed of.

This Sunday (23rd October) KWT are working with the Brecon Beacons National Park on a river clean between Glasbury and Hay on Wye and would welcome assistance.

Is there an alternative representative organisation other than the Angling Trust. Through their spokesperson, I think they have proved themselves to be beligerent and untrustworthy. I, personally, wouldn't want to have anything to do with them. Anglers generally I do not have a problem with.