Thread: Severn Estuary - Beachley slipway under threat

Default Severn Estuary - Beachley slipway under threat

Some of you may have done the long haul down the Severn or the Wye and pulled out at Beachley slip beneath the old Severn Bridge. It seems that this slipway access is under threat with the local council looking to offload the asset. My boat club is involved in discussions with the council to try and stop this and there is some positive progress. This Thursday there is a formal FoD council meeting to discuss the matter where we are keen to demonstrate a high level of past and ongoing usage by local people and visitors. To help do this an online petition has been created at http://www.beachleyslipway.co.uk/index.html

If you have used this facility in the past (or might like to in the future) please consider signing the petition. If you have any photographs of you at the spot they would be most useful as would any comments indicating how using this asset has brought money into the area from visitors. Basically the council is not really aware that this slipway is the last exit point for two of the countries longest navigable canoe routes.

Thankyou

Petition signed

and me

Me too.

...and me.
    Keith

Default River Severn and Wye access at Beachley slipway Threat!

Thanks for all who have signed the Petition!
    You need to help keep the pressure on the bodies that manage these Public Assetts.
    Write or email the Cllr for the Forest of Dean who is in charge of overseeing these public areas.
    Cllr Brian Robinson

council@fdean.gov.uk

FOD offices,
    High Street,
    Coleford,
    Glos,
    GL16 8HG

Local MP is Mark Harper

mark.harper.mp@parliament.uk

His office has already advised that a reply will be forthcoming as soon as he receives a reply from Cllr Robinson.

The Forest of Dean panel is not operating in a transparent manner and private individuals requesting information are being stonewalled insomuch that they have to use the Freedom of information act to try and prise detail of what deals are being offered behind closed doors.

Thanks for looking and keep the pressure on, once its gone, its GONE for good!

To give you an idea what the site could look likelook at Bullo Pill at Newnham on Severn,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,An untidy scrap yard.

and me

Petition signed. Find it here.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Quote Originally Posted by John Saunders View Post
    Petition signed. Find it here.
    I've signed it too.
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Default slipway

signed

Me too

Steve C

and me
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Quote Originally Posted by quimby View Post
    private individuals requesting information are being stonewalled insomuch that they have to use the Freedom of information act to try and prise detail of what deals are being offered behind closed doors.
    They have a duty to respond to FOI requests within a certain time - if they fail to do so then you should report the failure to comply to the information comisssioners office (ICO).

Brevan
    Brevan,
    The truth (about Rights of Navigation) is out there
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

Mark Harper`s office have stated they will reply to my letter when they receive a reply from the FOD Cllr Brian Robinson, heading the panel, that is dealing with the application to purchase by a (fronted) consortium that has a hidden agenda!

Slipway
    Forest of Dean District Council will retain ownership of Beachley Slipway following concerns from local people that they will lose the access to it they have enjoyed for decades.

The council’s cabinet made the decision when they met yesterday evening.

A number of parties who use the slipway and local residents were worried they may be charged to use the slipway if it was leased to another party.

Cllr Brian Robinson, Deputy Leader of the council and cabinet member for Efficient Council and Planning Policy said: “We made this decision as a result of the community’s concerns that residents would no longer have free access to use the slipway if it was leased to someone else.

“People who use the slipway feel it is an important asset for the community and we are very pleased to be able to make this decision and keep it open for public use.”

The slipway will now remain in the ownership and control of the council.

ENDSIssued