Thread: Loch Doon?

Question Loch Doon?

Anyone any experience here? I'm looking for somewhere to rough camp with two 9 yr olds to give them an adventure away fom the sound of traffic.
    We travel from Lancashire and the Lakes are handier but I always imagined rough camping was frowned upon in the National Park- does anyone know any different?

Been there twice. Does "away fom the sound of traffic" include quad-bikes? Despite what it says in the SCA book, Loch Doon is, imho, a rather unattractive spot. It's clearly well used in warmer weather from the amount of old fires, bottles (lots!) and cans left there. It's quite exposed and bleak too. There is some lovely countryside around that area, but I think there are bound to be better spots to take youngsters.

I'm sure someone here will be able to suggest some pleasant alternatives. I don't like to be negative, but I don't think Loch Doon is what you're looking for.

Jim

+1 with BlueCanoe, most definately!!

Thanks for this John, it certainly is food for thought- The SCA book makes it sound quite attractive.

Rough camping is frowned upon in the National Parks, especially if thinking of cooking over an open fire.

I'm sure that anyone on SOTP and anyone else with a conscience would, as they say, leave nothing but footprints, but Blue canoe mentioned about the quantity of bottles and cans, left laying around; there-in lies the reason that rough camping is frowned upon.

The few knackering things up for the rest

We did a 2 day trip there last April taking in Loch Doon, Loch Macaterick, Loch Fannie, Loch Riecaw, Loch Brandan, over Doon of Waterhead to Loch Derclach Loch and into Loch Finlas and so back to Loch Doon.

Before you get too excited have a look at the map! The second day we were moving for 11 hours.

There was litter along Loch Doon (we collected a lot the last day) but the rest was pristine.

Maybe not a family trip though.

I'm sure I Blogged it at the time?
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    I'm sure I Blogged it at the time?
    You did

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...read.php?t=600

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCanoe View Post
    See that blog for my comments as well - would still like to give it another try, especially now the boats are lighter & trolleys better. Great poling area along the 'Lanes' as well.

Alastair

Default Loch Awe to Etive?

Thanks to all who answered re: Loch Doon-I think I'll give it A miss for now. We have a week booked on the shore of Loch Awe at Easter and intend having a few days there with the kids followed by a Dads do overnight on Loch Etive. This got me thinking-Never a good thing- Is it possible to get from Awe to Etive by the River Awe? We have little experience of rivers so anything too scary is a no no. Also I have noticed the Hydro Electric station in the way -does anyone know how long/dificult the portage is?

Quote Originally Posted by nigrac View Post
    Thanks to all who answered re: Loch Doon-I think I'll give it A miss for now. We have a week booked on the shore of Loch Awe at Easter and intend having a few days there with the kids followed by a Dads do overnight on Loch Etive. This got me thinking-Never a good thing- Is it possible to get from Awe to Etive by the River Awe? We have little experience of rivers so anything too scary is a no no. Also I have noticed the Hydro Electric station in the way -does anyone know how long/dificult the portage is?

The River Awe is a great paddling river but probably not for you on this visit. It is given Gd 2-3 but the level varies depending on the dam release. The first time I went to do it I was too scared to put on the water . (my excuse was I was solo/solo (ie on my own) and had the dog. But even so, it was really tanking down).

I have done it many times, the last time I snubbed with my pole for most of it when the water was low.

The portage is okayish.

You could put in at the guidebook take out and then pootle down to the loch but it would be a lot of effort for little gain.

Loch Awe is superb, but there may be issues with anglers. The last time I was there a group of very drunken very noisy anglers made the whole affair very familiy un-friendly. We had VERY loud banging, swearing and general verbal abuse all night. And we were half a mile away on an island!

Drop Rhod from this forum a PM. He is the local contact for the loch.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Default Its not all bad

Just get off the side with road access as fast as humanly possible, and stay as far from it as you can, and loch doons actually quite nice.

Of course, if Loch Doon is anywhere near to Brigadoon, you and your kids could be in for a very interesting time.

The Troughing Dormouse