Thread: Sailing At Ferry Meadows - Oct 2011

Default Sailing At Ferry Meadows - Oct 2011

A few photos of taken by my wife today sailing at Ferry Meadows country park.
    6-hours of sailing flew by.

Steady F3 winds (8-12 mph) with occasional F4 gusts, normally during a jibe!!
    These photos were taken at around 4:30pm as the wind was starting to die down!

There was a sailing race going on as I arrived. While it would have been nice to take part, it had already begun. Instead I tried to keep up with the pack, but alas my sail was just too small and I crossed the line around 5-minutes after the last Wayfarer sounded the horn, which wasn't terrible I guess.

Bumped into a couple of other canoeists today also. One was practicing re-entry drills using the short rope idea with a toe loop, which offered some success, but only into a totally submerged canoe. He had no buoyancy bags or wedges! Later I leant him my bailer and he tried the bucket of water idea, but got the same result, in the canoe but it was still below the gunwales! Nice guy though. Think one was called Kev, but I forget the other guys name. Both read the SOP, but not the sailing section.

Looks good, Chris. I'll have to try and join you there one of these days. Sorry I couldn't make today. Annoyingly I'll be working tomorrow as well, so while I might get out Tuesday, the best weather will have gone by then. Another time. Ian

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    I'll have to try and join you there one of these days.
    Ferry Meadows is alright Ian. Okay, it's less than 20% of the size of Rutland Water, but it's plenty big enough for canoe sailing, plus unlike Rutland Water, it's really good for a bit of paddling too.

At the end of the day, when the wind died down, I dropped the sailing rig and associated parts and my wife and I went for a long paddle under the low pontoon bridge to the next lake and out to the river Nene. When we go back, my son and his three mates (All 12-year olds) were waiting for us, so I took them out for quarter of an hour too!

It's a great place to practice capsize drills too as the water warms up fairly quickly in the summer, it's only 6.50 to launch a canoe or sailing canoe for the day and it's only a couple of miles from the A1M so easy to get to.

The sailing club allows good visibility over the whole lake and has good facilities for any friends and family just wanting to watch.

Tip. Arrive before 10am at weekends else they hit you with a parking charge of 3.50 at the park gates!

Default 4 in a boat

Some low-res photos taken on a camera-phone of the kids & I going for a paddle.

This is why I wanted a clip-on rudder assembly, so at the end of a day's sailing, I can convert it back into it's original design, except of course the mast thwart & the mast foot, which still remains.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamerpoint View Post
    ...One was practicing re-entry drills using the short rope idea with a toe loop, which offered some success, but only into a totally submerged canoe.
    Tried this myself the other day doing some capsize recovery practice and found it to be an excellent way back into a canoe. My OT disco has a big mast 15 foot and 44 square foot of sail and on my first attempt with stirrup it just popped straight up out of the water. Bit of a revelation actually after my last recovery attempt without the stirrup. Today I will be fitting a stirrup rope to each gunnel along with a stowage point. The other very useful tip I got from this site was to have on board a BIG baler. Mine is a 25 litre one, made it loads quicker to bale out.

Great pics Chris. I'm running similar setup to you. Different sail but similar detachable rudder that clips to stern and a pivoting leeboard.

Quote Originally Posted by fredster View Post
    Tried this myself the other day doing some capsize recovery practice and found it to be an excellent way back into a canoe. My OT disco has a big mast 15 foot and 44 square foot of sail and on my first attempt with stirrup it just popped straight up out of the water. Bit of a revelation actually after my last recovery attempt without the stirrup. Today I will be fitting a stirrup rope to each gunnel along with a stowage point. The other very useful tip I got from this site was to have on board a BIG baler. Mine is a 25 litre one, made it loads quicker to bale out.

Great pics Chris. I'm running similar setup to you. Different sail but similar detachable rudder that clips to stern and a pivoting leeboard.
    Nice one, don't suppose you have any photos of your setup, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Steamerpoint View Post
    Nice one, don't suppose you have any photos of your setup, do you?
    will look later
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Found some short video clips on my wife's camera and knocked up a little video of the day as I had a spare hour to play about with it.

Very nice.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Ian