Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiot on the Severn.

Default Idiot on the Severn.

I've just come back from what I was hoping to be a really nice bit of flat water practice on the Severn near Worcester at Pixham Ferry. I try to go there as many days as I can when I can't get onto moving water. For those not familiar, Pixham Ferry is common land, is a picnic spot, and was for many years the launch point for the Ferry it is name after (the "ferry" in fact being merely a rowing boat). It is apparently a popular launch point for Cadets and Scouts with canoes, though I haven't come across anyone myself all over the Summer I have been going there.

Either side of Pixham ferry are fields. There is no official footpath through them, so technically someone could take issue with me if I went into them to launch my boat. though I believe that the local angling association members go there to fish. Bear this in mind for what I am about to say.

I have encountered people sitting fishing on the rocks that I need to be able to launch my boat from before. Without exception, until now all of them have been really friendly. Many have asked about canoeing and kayaking, and some have asked me to show them my roll (not a good idea because it usually fails!) Many of them have even helped me get my boat down to the water, and they have never had a problem moving the odd bit of gear to allow me through.

Until now. When I pulled up in the carpark area I could see that there was a large gentleman sat fishing in the spot I needed to get through to 'legally' get to the water. Somehow I just had a feeling that he was going to be awkward, and I was right. I dragged my boat near to where he was. He was sat on his seat thing with a multitude of gear strewn all over the place blocking the way. His son (late teens) was also with him.

I did as I always did and asked politely if it was okay if I came past to launch my boat, and that I wouldn't take much time to do it. The response took me aback. His exact words were "Not a f***ing chance!"

He didn't even afford me the courtesy of appending "mate" to the end of his sentence

Now, I am usually very calm when it comes to confrontation. It is very rare for me to lose it with anyone. I've had people right in my face threatening me with physical violence before (not fishing related) and I can still stay calm about it, and can usually talk people down.

I am afraid though that this guy really did get my back up and the situation devolved somewhat. Well, to be truthful, I told him that I would be making my way down to the river regardless of his 'permission'. He then said that if I wanted to sort this out we could sort it out in the carpark, which I took to mean that in his tiny little deranged mind that he thought that he was somehow going to sort things out 'the old way'. He very clearly had a chip on his shoulder about canoes and kayaks since he later went off on a rant about licenses (he was a bit flumoxed when I pointed out that I had a valid British Waterways license for the river), as well as trying to tell me that a ferry wasn't a boat and therefore the Pixham Ferry launch point was not a traditional boat launching spot! I refrained from telling him that the wood and brick structure right next to us was an old boat storage shed since he was gradually taking the argument down to the level of a two year old, while I strongly pointed out the flaws in what he was saying.

Thing is, if he had simply said to me "Well, we've quite a bit of kit here, would you mind walking through the field to see if you can launch from there?" or "We've got quite a bit of kit to move here, would you be okay waiting a few minutes?" I wouldn't have taken issue. Instead he just told me "Not a f***ing chance!" (although not long afterwards he tried to convince me that he had politely asked me to wait!!)

So, the moral of the story is, try not to lose it with people like this like I did, but also that some fishermen think that they own the river even when it is an undisputed navigation and you are launching from public land!

Best of it was that he tried to tell me that I'd come there to ruin his 'swim'. All of this while countless cruisers and canal boats powered past!

What a... oh what do you call call that thing you do to a pancake? He obviously makes lots of them!

Default P,f,l,o,p

Blimey, a what cheeky f####r, !
    Last edited by Hyperion; 28th-September-2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: grammer

I would have said if I can't canoe i'll sit here throwing stones in the water
    We no nah fink

Pixham Ferry is mentioned on quite a few fishing forums and some mention it as being a free fishing peg.
    I cant find and angling club that have this spot on their books. So I wonder if fishing is allowed from this spot.
    Did the angler offer to show his licence as he was interested in yours?
    This stretch is well known for large barbel, which explains alot as fanatical barbel anglers tend not to like canoeists.

A link to a site that shows a couple of old pictures of the ferry as well as a rowing boat or punt, which means the use of unpowered craft on that section and also a well established place for access.
    http://worcestervista.com/ferries-in-worcester/

A link to what I think is the view of the put in taken from the water.
    http://www2.mihalis.net/canal/cgi-bi...;comment=write

I fish for barbel and i will admit I wouldnt of been excited at the prospect of having to move my fishing gear, but I would of let you pass.
    I just wouldnt of let you get back out of the water. yea I would errrr maybe ok ok I would

But what happens if you get on the water then an angler arrives while your off for a paddle and wont let you off the water. might need thinking about, just in case.

Might be worth taking a note of any car plate numbers when you arrive as well, just incase anyone takes an interest in your car.
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

So I wonder if fishing is allowed from this spot.
    Did the angler offer to show his licence as he was interested in yours?
    As far as i am aware fishing is allowed as long as they have an EA rod license. It is common land and is maintained by the Parish Council. After many a stern word he did offer to show me his license after the argument went down that route. But I wasn't interested. I'm not an EA officer and it is not my business what license he holds or to inspect it, as it is not really any of his concern about my license (though I could show him my BCU card if I so felt the need to).

which means the use of unpowered craft on that section and also a well established place for access.
    It is. The entire reason that the entry point is there is purely because of the old ferry. As far as I am aware Scout groups and Cadet groups also use this as a point of access for trips.

I fish for barbel and i will admit I wouldnt of been excited at the prospect of having to move my fishing gear, but I would of let you pass.
    I just wouldnt of let you get back out of the water. yea I would errrr maybe ok ok I would

But what happens if you get on the water then an angler arrives while your off for a paddle and wont let you off the water. might need thinking about, just in case
    All of the other fishermen I have encountered there have voluntarily moved their gear (which usually isn't much, the effort involved seems to be related to how organised they are). Some of them have even helped me with the boat. Like I said though, what really irked me wasn't merely a reluctance to move gear, but the fact that he basically told me to F off at the mere suggestion that he might do this. If he is going to sit on a public area like that, he can't exactly complain if someone else wants to access the river there. I think, aside from being nice people generally, that is also the reason why the other fishermen have not had any issues with me.

Also I do not see how I could possibly ruin his 'swim' given the number of cruisers that were about today with the warm weather. I'm not just talking about canal boats, but great big things with radar domes on them and quite a substantial wave wash as they go past.

Might be worth taking a note of any car plate numbers when you arrive as well, just incase anyone takes an interest in your car.
    Yes, that did worry me somewhat.

Wonder if the angling people by Hanley Swan 4 miles downstream would take issue if I used the specially built public boat launching ramp that is right bang next to their sign that says "private waters, no access"!?

Incidentally I can't wait to see if he posts anything about the incident on a forum. Given that he constantly had a selective memory about what he said to me I'd imagine that a tall yarn may be spun.

It doubt very much that it would ruin the swim, its more of a psychological thing. what he really meant was I am not catching and i am going to blame you.

Do you fish at all, or speak to the anglers you do usally see at that spot about what is being caught, when and on what and what method.
    Passing on this info to other anglers is always an ice breaker. That is if they give you chance to speak before greeting you so warmly.

Just keep going there, it was only one angler out of many and tell the other anglers what happened, this person may be known on the circuit.
    He more than likely is localish, if not a forum member to know of that spot. People will not usally travel far if there is only one peg to fish from.
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

Simon, I dont think you lost it fella, It sounded like you debated the issue with him rather well and admirably kept your calm. Where did you launch from in the end?

Do you fish at all, or speak to the anglers you do usally see at that spot about what is being caught, when and on what and what method.
    Passing on this info to other anglers is always an ice breaker. That is if they give you chance to speak before greeting you so warmly.
    Usually when I meet them I ask them how things are going, whether they have caught anything etc. This guy had no intention of making conversation. It was clear he absolutely hated canoeists and kayakers from the very outset.

Simon, I dont think you lost it fella, It sounded like you debated the issue with him rather well and admirably kept your calm. Where did you launch from in the end?
    Oh I definitely lost it, having to raise my voice to almost shouting in order to counteract his lunacy.

Sounds like he was a bit of a pleb, put it down to experience and don't let it ruin your day

Chances are you won't meet him again, but even if you he's likely to move out of the way this time.

Did you get to paddle in the end?
    Rich

hope it did not ruin your paddle

Had a very similar experience today with parking (totally in the right) really is a sad world we live in the gap between the normal and the scum relay is widening

happy paddling folks

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
    Wonder if the angling people by Hanley Swan 4 miles downstream would take issue if I used the specially built public boat launching ramp that is right bang next to their sign that says "private waters, no access"!?
    It's Hanley Castle (unless you were thinking of paddling on the duck pond)

Well I've certainly parked in "their" little car parking area and got on there numerous times (or was that not a serious query?) - though admittedly only on a weekday lunchtime, so I've never seen any anglers there. Then again it doesn't say anything about no access (was fairly sure it didn't so went and checked: "Hanley Castle Angling Club, Private Waters, No Day Tickets, No Litter" http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hanl...,44.79,,2,3.24 )

I've also got on several times at Pixham Ferry without any trouble - including once when somebody was angling there, though another time when somebody was angling I drove off and got on at Clevelode instead http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...6874&A=Y&Z=115 - not entirely sure of the legality of getting on there - it is access land up to the bank, but I don't think that gives you a right to launch a boat.

Sadly this is the state of things everywhere every Idot with a fishing rod belive they have right to be there over many other river users and they don't have to move its also sad that its theses same so called fisherman who are the same people who have fires and leave old lines and little about the place for everyone else to pick up,

It's only the few who spoil it for the rest although if they are asked for a fishing licence and they haven't got one they are the first to start ranting and being abusive all I can sudjest is you contact the river or lake management officer in person!.
    In Paddle we trust

Is he legally bound to move ? No I dont think he is,no different to some awkward bugger not moving aside on a pavement ! Live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    Is he legally bound to move ? No I dont think he is,no different to some awkward bugger not moving aside on a pavement ! Live with it.
    so you agree that its ok to physically threaten and intimidate to get your own way? if said awquard bugger was sitting across the pavement not allowing anyone to pass i think i would have had to make him see the error of his ways. why should we have to live with such unreasonable behaviour? i wouldnt ever dream of doing such a thing to someone else, and wouldnt permit anyone to attempt it with me.
    sod work, im off for a paddle.

And where exactly have I said it's ok to threaten somebody ?

Is he legally bound to move ? No I dont think he is,no different to some awkward bugger not moving aside on a pavement !
    If he was blocking the pavement to the point where nobody could pass without going onto the road, and he refused to move, he could be charged with causing an obstruction. So yes, he would be legally obliged to move. The fisherman is different. He wasn't on a pavement. However what would it have cost him to be courteous and polite?

Is he legally bound to move ? No I dont think he is,no different to some awkward bugger not moving aside on a pavement !
    The silly thing is I was thinking "castle" as I wrote "swan"! Too many pints at the Three Kings!

I drove off and got on at Clevelode instead http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...6874&A=Y&Z=115 - not entirely sure of the legality of getting on there - it is access land up to the bank, but I don't think that gives you a right to launch a boat.
    It is a grey area. I was wondering if it was unclaimed land? In which case it should be perfectly okay to go on the water. Clevelode would actually be better for me as it is even closer to where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
    If he was blocking the pavement to the point where nobody could pass without going onto the road, and he refused to move, he could be charged with causing an obstruction. So yes, he would be legally obliged to move. The fisherman is different. He wasn't on a pavement. However what would it have cost him to be courteous and polite?

And quite right too manners costeth nothing.Personally I would'nt have bothered getting shitty with the twat and just gone somewhere else.My day would be spoilt from a tear up in the carpark and I could do with out the hassle to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus2 View Post
    And where exactly have I said it's ok to threaten somebody ?
    the op said that the guy was agressive and threatening and was saying that they should 'go sort it out in the car park' or suchlike. id regard that as threatening. your reply was 'live with it' which, and forgive me if i misinterpret you, to me means, put up with it and accept that it happens. in that situation, i wouldnt think i would want to 'live with it' had i encountered such behaviour i would have reacted in what i think is a perfectly reasonable manner. unfortunately, the world is full of bullys and people who think they should have their own way all the time just because they are capable of obnoxious or boorish behaviour. i wouldnt accept being spoken to like that in the pub or the street, and so wouldnt allow someone to do it on the riverbank.
    sod work, im off for a paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by johnr View Post
    the op said that the guy was agressive and threatening and was saying that they should 'go sort it out in the car park' or suchlike. id regard that as threatening. your reply was 'live with it' which, and forgive me if i misinterpret you, to me means, put up with it and accept that it happens. in that situation, i wouldnt think i would want to 'live with it' had i encountered such behaviour i would have reacted in what i think is a perfectly reasonable manner. unfortunately, the world is full of bullys and people who think they should have their own way all the time just because they are capable of obnoxious or boorish behaviour. i wouldnt accept being spoken to like that in the pub or the street, and so wouldnt allow someone to do it on the riverbank.
    Whether because I'm a wimp, I don't like hassle, or the fact that a sore head would certainly spoil my day, I'd be with Marcus2. Take the moral highground. Let him think he's got the best of you but KNOW that he hasn't. Years in education have taught me (but I think I already knew) that stooping to the level of bullies makes you no better than them. Always stay polite, if you feel threatened phone 999 or walk away, but don't give them the satisfaction of joining them for fisticuffs and namecalling in the playground. Letting people think they have their own way only makes you lose face if you let it. What you think is a perfectly reasonable reaction is probably different from what I think!

But then it's a free country and we can think what we want. - Wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all liked the same things!

Sam

Good for you

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    Sadly this is the state of things everywhere every Idot with a fishing rod belive they have right to be there over many other river users and they don't have to move its also sad that its theses same so called fisherman who are the same people who have fires and leave old lines and little about the place for everyone else to pick up,

It's only the few who spoil it for the rest although if they are asked for a fishing licence and they haven't got one they are the first to start ranting and being abusive all I can sudjest is you contact the river or lake management officer in person!.
    Lets get a few things less distorted, you can not group all anglers under the same umbrella because of an odd few, Posts like this can be copied onto angling forums and that would just enhance bad feeling. We want things to improve and not escalate into more bad feeling.

I am not an idiot and most anglers are not either,
    I do not believe I have the right over anyone else, and most don't,
    I do not have to move, this does not mean i wouldnt,
    I do not light fire's while I fish and I have never seen any angler light a fire(all types and places) they are to busy fishing,
    I do not leave old line anywhere, I wrap it up and burn it with my lighter, I then put that little budle in my tackle box, a few anglers do leave line,
    I do not leave litter and most anglers dont, some do,

There are some bad anglers, no sport or leisure can claim to have the perfect participants.
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

It would n't happen in scotland (should n't), we all have equal rights , its our country . As in all of us . I canoe and fish so i always do what i can to not mess with fishers day out but i feel free to canoe just about anywhere. I would nt stand for bullying but sometimes if im walking home i meet a bunch of neds i hold my tongue ... its just good sense ... but well not always ...

I certainly don't want to create the impression that all anglers are like this. I should stress again that all of the other anglers I have encountered there have been the epitome of politeness.

Journal Entries

This island is getting small, eh?

There are idiots among all comunities (although driving seems to concentrate the most of them), including canoeing, angling, shooting, skydiving etc.... The fact is that there are educated people and idiots everywhere! Crossing path with an idiot is quite a nightmare for an educated person, as there is not much to do about.... Go down to the idiot level?? No. Try to educate the idiot in 5 minutes?? Impossible. Kill the idiot?? Not educated and not worth after all (jails are filled with worse idiots!).

Not easy to just let it go, but SamB is right when he says that the best way to reply is turning back and leaving the idiot alone. They live in a sub-level that we are not used to, so confrontation won´t take you any further, just back....

"hey honey, take the .45 from my car.... I´m quite calm tonight!"
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

Ratty try reading my post again but slowly Im sure it says " Its only the few who spoil it for the rest" and I wouldn't say thats pointing the finger at you or anyone else but Im sure you know there are some folk out there who claim to be fisherman and think they know what they are doing! like all people there are good and bad on both sides.

A recent river trip with some friends on the upper part of the tees shows Im right although the river is open to all users the only people to stand there ranting and raving climing the river is theres and canoes aren't allowed where the so called fisherman who were sat in there camo gear hinding in the tall grass and behind falled tree's firing food pellets into the river to attrack fish to there line, Although we asked where do you want us to the so called fishermen most replyed kindly either towards them and away from the line or in the middle but It's was the few whos rude and agressive attitude to us was to get out of there river.

As for litter and fires well I can only speak from what Ive seen when Ive been out on river trips and it's next to always where those so called fisherman have been sitting!.

Although this debate is going a little of track from the first post I'll stop there because it might end up getting a little bit overly heated!.
    In Paddle we trust

Please make sure you have read the post correctly before posting otherwise this just turns into another kayaker V fisherman thread.

River access has nothing to do with the and is about access for all. This thread was about one incident that happened. NOT branding every fisherman the same.

Default Trouble with fishermen

Puzzling species anglers!
    I was on the Severn above Shrewsbury a few days ago with my wife in our two man inflatable paddling the section from Montford Bridge to Shrewsbury. We encountered a few anglers, giving them a wide berth and they were all friendly and chatty including one particular chap. As we approached we passsed the time of day in a cheerful way when suddenly my wife, who was in the front was hit by his line at head hight which unbeknown to us was stretched virtually across the river. She managed to untangle it from her head but because of our speed and the current I was immediately in its way and it became tangled round my paddle which was nearly ripped from my hands. We eventually freed ourselves from the line and carried on OK. I couldn't work out why he was so friendly yet failed to warn us of his line, he appeared to be ledgering on the other side of the river and despite giving him a very wide berth the line was still at head height where we were running down the river, perhaps he simply had a blonde moment given that he was so friendly but it was a worrying moment for us.

I read several times Dave before I replyed. I think we should leave it at that.

I used to fish around Shrewsbury and use a ledger like you mention, using this method it is normal to have the rod up high in the same way a beachcaster angler does. This is to keep as much line out of the water as possible and this way the lead can hold bottom. I am guessing that the angler was after barbel which lay up in the undercut banks or tree cover.
    If you try to pass without the lines been brought in it will be very difficult. Lines nowadays can be very low diameter for there strength.
    If you pass right up against the far bank you will be directly over the anglers swim, and he may not be to pleased.
    If you pass mid river you will paddle streight into the lines.
    If you paddle nearside, you have may safe path. but then it maybe the inside of a bend and be very shallow.

I dont know why this angler did not tell you that his lines where still out. either very bad behaviour or stupidity.
    I wouldnt fancy getting tangled up in 8+ line. It must of been a very bad experience.
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

Default With apologies to 'Fisherman'

Simon, this is what you were dealing with -
    http://primatology.net/2008/04/29/or...spear-to-fish/
    'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis

Some people just can't handle sharing their personal world. Your fisherman was probably the yard bully and hasn't worked out yet, that what used to go in the yard, just isn't the way one conducts oneself in the real world. I have come across many such people over the years and most do not take kindly, to anyone who can stand-up for themselves. It's as if they expect everyone to just hand over their lunch-money with a smile. I suspect he and maybe his son, will be awkward with all they come in contact with throughout their lives. I feel sorry for the mother of the son.

Also, I have come across many such people, for whom a supposed higher position in front of their progeny, is something always to strive for; and they tend to be the first ones to lose it, if the other does not immediately kow-tow.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

well done on taking the correct approach - and succeeding and more than likely be-littling the neaderthal. well thought through

I have been past there many times on our families narrowboat and I have to say, its not somewhere I would like to moor for lunch or over night....

Does look very good for getting on and off the water though

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
    I read several times Dave before I replyed. I think we should leave it at that.

I used to fish around Shrewsbury and use a ledger like you mention, using this method it is normal to have the rod up high in the same way a beachcaster angler does. This is to keep as much line out of the water as possible and this way the lead can hold bottom. I am guessing that the angler was after barbel which lay up in the undercut banks or tree cover.
    If you try to pass without the lines been brought in it will be very difficult. Lines nowadays can be very low diameter for there strength.
    If you pass right up against the far bank you will be directly over the anglers swim, and he may not be to pleased.
    If you pass mid river you will paddle streight into the lines.
    If you paddle nearside, you have may safe path. but then it maybe the inside of a bend and be very shallow.

I dont know why this angler did not tell you that his lines where still out. either very bad behaviour or stupidity.
    I wouldnt fancy getting tangled up in 8+ line. It must of been a very bad experience.
    Wouldn't a skilled angler use Back leads?

I bet he doesn't even know what they are

Quote Originally Posted by nigelphoto View Post
    Simon, this is what you were dealing with -
    http://primatology.net/2008/04/29/or...spear-to-fish/

This bloke has some intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    Wouldn't a skilled angler use Back leads?

I bet he doesn't even know what they are
    Back leads are good for still water to keep the lines out of the wind and to avoid line bites (fish bumping into the line) but on moving water it would put alot more line in the water and the current would drag the lead and bait out of position.
    Back leads are more the bivvy boys domain.

On another note I was looking at some fishing forums and its suprising how many have canoe sections in them, and there alot of fishermen that would like to try fishing from a canoe. Never done this myself as yet, but i can see some advantages and disadvantages.
    Maybe we should have a canoe fishing section.
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    This bloke has some intelligence
    Yea i agree, that stick he is using is as streight as a snooker cue. I bet he uses it as a blow pipe as well as a fishing rod.
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

Back leads are good for still water to keep the lines out of the wind and to avoid line bites (fish bumping into the line) but on moving water it would put alot more line in the water and the current would drag the lead and bait out of position.
    Back leads are more the bivvy boys domain.

On another note I was looking at some fishing forums and its suprising how many have canoe sections in them, and there alot of fishermen that would like to try fishing from a canoe. Never done this myself as yet, but i can see some advantages and disadvantages.
    Maybe we should have a canoe fishing section.
    On my last paddle of the whole Thames, we saw a few people using them in flowing water to avoid boats including canoes.....

I have fished from my Mega....... Didn't catch though

Have you seen the fishing/shooting SUPs they are using in USA?

oh come on then what is a back lead. I fish occasionally game sea and course but have never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchandglue View Post
    oh come on then what is a back lead. I fish occasionally game sea and course but have never heard of it.
    Ratty explained it in post # 36,I used to use them at carp lakes when it was windy or when I was getting line bites.

Ah I see, but if you have split shot on the line rod side of the ledger how do you reel in without catching them on the rod rings and if they are loose would they not fall to the main weight on casting? I know that my stupidity is equaled by my lack of imagination so be kind

There are loads of diff shape back leads but all serve the same purpose,
    They are bigger than split shot, but you could use a string of swan shot on a loop of line.
    Once you have casted you attach the lead to your line and let it slip down to the water bed.
    The line will run freely through it and it is retrieved when you reel in.

I wont mention flying back leads
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

Ah now i understand.

On another note I was looking at some fishing forums and its suprising how many have canoe sections in them, and there alot of fishermen that would like to try fishing from a canoe. Never done this myself as yet, but i can see some advantages and disadvantages. Maybe we should have a canoe fishing section.
    Ratty, I'm not a fisherman (and not terribly interested in fishing, though I do like eating fish), but I think that is a great idea. Never having personally encountered hostility from fishermen I often find it surprising the mutual hostility that clearly exists in some parts of the country. Wouldn't a canoe fishing section help reinforce good relations among the less noisy, but presumably large section of the community, who recognise shared interests in the river? If one could encourage more people to see the two sports as thoroughly compatible it would help minimise the impact of that strange breed of folk who seem determined to insist that both sports cannot exist on the same river. It would be a pleasant thing if it became as popular and successful as the relatively new canoe sailing section seems to be. Just a thought. All the best, Ian

Getting fishermen onto a canoe or kayak often gives them a new perspective. It is incredible how many I come across that have taken up canoeing or kayaking as a way to fish, and then been ostracised from their fishing club because of it!

I believe it would help some people to see that a canoe and fishing can be combined, many allready do it.
    But there will still be some anglers on the fringes that want the water just for themselves and allways will.
    Its a pitty we couldnt get more fishermen to try canoeing, and more canoeists to try fishing.
    Maybe like exchange students. we need to spend more time together and experiance each others interests.
    Its going to take time and I think its upto the canoeist who also fish to start the ball rolling.
    Im up for it.
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

I believe it would help some people to see that a canoe and fishing can be combined, many allready do it.
    But there will still be some anglers on the fringes that want the water just for themselves and allways will.
    Its a pitty we couldnt get more fishermen to try canoeing, and more canoeists to try fishing.
    Maybe like exchange students. we need to spend more time together and experiance each others interests.
    Its going to take time and I think its upto the canoeist who also fish to start the ball rolling.
    Im up for it.

Woo-Hoo Ratty, great idea but I don't think K*y*kers should be invited yet lol

Yep, great idea and a beer and BBQ after to seal the tryst............then invite the k*y*kers later............much later

Vik.

Now in Warsop, Gold plating acorns for The Sherwood Forest.
    Click on my Mini-Me to visit my Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Stalkperch View Post
    Woo-Hoo Ratty, great idea but I don't think K*y*kers should be invited yet lol

Yep, great idea and a beer and BBQ after to seal the tryst............then invite the k*y*kers later............much later

Vik.

Now in Warsop, Gold plating acorns for The Sherwood Forest.
    Hmm, I somehow don't think Ratty ought to be taking elitist advice from someone who thought he could live in a 12ft canoe with all the amenities of home: Gimballed stove and barbecue, tent, bed, toilet (!!) you name it. It was difficult for you to even get into the empty boat.

Seriously, you're the last person to attempt elitism and pull it off.
    ----------------
    “When one rows, it is not the rowing which moves the ship: rowing is only a magical ceremony by means of which one compels a demon to move the ship.” - Nietzsche

If you feel like insulting each other please do it VIA PM!!!

Can we get back to the topic please
    SF Peterborough 14'
    weighs 7 Stone! 44.5kg
    Bell Yellowstone (so light)

Sorry, I just really, really dislike elitism. Especially when it's founded in a lack of abilities (as it usually is, btw).
    ----------------
    “When one rows, it is not the rowing which moves the ship: rowing is only a magical ceremony by means of which one compels a demon to move the ship.” - Nietzsche

Awwwww........let's cut 'em some slack, Joe. I was quite enjoying that. (Of course, I have no views on the actual topic, coz I don't live over there & I've never encountered that sort of thing... )

Play nicely or you'll be sent to bed with no supper.
    Chris

Journal Entries

Your too soft, I was just setting up a ten day red card..... People that don't play nice, don't play.
    Cheers,

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Play nicely or you'll be sent to bed with no supper.
    I always give people the treatment they deserve
    ----------------

So do I! See you in 10 days.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    So do I! See you in 10 days.
    Cheers! Power hungry mods will be my downfall.
    ----------------

I think this thread suddenly went sour.
    Just for the record Eddie (vik) isnt an elitist, he is a paddler that happens to have a good sense of humour.
    Which is quite often needed.

Now back to the thread.
    Anyone else got any ideas or opions that are relivant ?
    Ratty (Russ)

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    Your too soft, I was just setting up a ten day red card..... People that don't play nice, don't play.
    I was only adding a little bit of levity to a thread that looked like getting a little angry, I also resented being "lumped" in with other anglers not as savy with etiquette and rules as others are.

I retaliated to the off topic comments he made on the thread "Tent on a canoe" I had running last year, I was warned about retaliating then and almost got carded then as I have been threatened with now.

Oarsnpaddle was warned to keep away twice but, he jumps on a post I make and then I get a card threat.

Talk about a law for one and then another for others eh?

For the record though;
    The tent worked on the canoe a treat.
    I had the most beautiful time building the canoes with my brother.
    A fantastic time paddling a custom re-designed, hand built canoe, perhaps not a sleek or expensive as some less tallented people have bought, but it is mine.
    The Gimbaled stoves worked great, and still does.
    The passive cool-box/wanigan works just fine, yes I use it when not canoeing too, even on a red-hot day fishing, it's gets called "The Worlds shortest canoe".
    The water/air tight lockable boot works and keeps my fishing gear etc safensound.
    I didn't have to poop in a hole in the woods either, and still don't with "poop deck" Mk2, yes, it works.
    I have almost sorted the hammock on the canoe problem and the way to stabilise it.

I wont be bother posting photos of these on here for fear of being banned by the mods when I retaliate to someone's unkindly remarks, in fact I probably wont ever bother posting on here again.

Yes, I fell into and out of my canoe on the very second time I ever tried it, but who really cares that much? I obviously don't or I wouldn't have posted the video, but it must be really important to someone that thinks that they can score cheap points at someone else's downfall.

I know I am off topic again for answering the charges brought against me and this post will be deleted by a mod, but like I said, I probably won't bother posting on here again.

It will however be seen by everyone subscribed to this thread via emither, sweet :-)

Vik.......................see you in 10 days or never?

I think this thread suddenly went sour.
    Just for the record Eddie (vik) isnt an elitist, he is a paddler that happens to have a good sense of humour.
    Which is quite often needed.

Now back to the thread.
    Anyone else got any ideas or opions that are relivant ?
    Cheers Ratty, you forgot I also fish too.

Vik

Er, There is absolutely no reason to play the persecution card - there are no different rules to different people. I got carded too and received an infraction for this. Same rules, Eddie.

Edit: Btw, does the infraction mean I'm not supposed to post at all or what? The infraction and PM doesn't say, so please tell me.
    ----------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast