Thread: You know you're getting seriously hooked on sailing your canoe when.......

Default You know you're getting seriously hooked on sailing your canoe when.......

................you end up drilling holes in the bottom of your pride and joy!
    I've been sailing more and more in stronger winds recently and with the addition of rudder, pivoting leeboard and outriggers conditions that I used to find scary and intimidating have become fun.
    I've found myself cruising along relishing the stronger winds and bigger waves that I've been out in but still sometimes wondering what could go wrong. One thing that has been making me a little uneasy is the amount of deflection I can see (and feel through the hull) at the mastfoot. Losing the mast in these sort of conditions doesn't really bear thinking about so I decided to drill through the bottom of my canoe and screw my mastfoot in to supplement the G-Flex epoxy that was already holding it in place. I made the decision to do this a while ago but finally got around to doing it this afternoon and I can only say to anyone who may be considering doing it it's a lot more straightforwards in practice than it sounds in theory. The whole operation was completed in about half an hour including epoxying over the countersunk screw heads and filling the big dent in the bottom of my canoe where it fell off Graham's trolley! Now what else could go wrong?

..... just the worry that the screws might pull through when your epoxy gives way!
    - but it probably won't

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by samB View Post
    ..... just the worry that the screws might pull through when your epoxy gives way!
    - but it probably won't

Sam
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh shut up!

I think you're very brave - drilling holes, not sailing in extreme conditions!
    It's a funny thing but I don't know that I could drill holes in the bottom of my aurora, yet my strip built sea kayak had a big slot cut in the bottom of it when I decided I needed a skeg. Strange!
    Sam

Mine's been done that way if its any consolation. Previous owner did it. When I re-made mast foot (for wider mast) I gave it the g-flex treatment and braced it within an inch of its life. Of course the difference between my canoe and yours is that mine is a beat-up old Old Town Disco 158 that cost 140 so no qualms whatsoever about getting the drill out!

I'm getting used to it now. The first time was drilling two 10mm holes in the end to take the mounts for my rudder! I tried to con Dave S into doing it for me but he made me do it myself on the water's edge at Ullswater Yacht Club (under his expert supervision I should add)! Afterwards I wondered what I'd been worrying about, it was dead easy and the results have been well worthwhile. The holes I drilled this afternoon were tiny by comparison (2mm) but it did seem a bit strange drilling through the bottom of my canoe! I don't think I could have done it when the canoe was new but even though it's not very old and cost me a fair bit it's well battered and scraped from use (and abuse) now so I'm not as precious about it.

It's all gonna end in tears one day mate
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    It's all gonna end in tears one day mate
    At least I'll still be able to use it for draining my pasta!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    At least I'll still be able to use it for draining my pasta!
    Stop the drilling now and I'll lend you a colander
    Rich

2mm? You should worry! I've been contemplating a self-bailer!!

Hi Chris, I drilled mine about 3-months back! Because the mast foot was already glued in place, working out where to drill from the bottom would have been a nightmare, so I drilled four tiny pilot holes through the mastfoot in each corner, from the inside of the canoe. Then I could see the small holes on the underside and drilled them slightly larger and countersunk them before dipping the screws in G-Flex and screwing them in place. I trust you did it the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by Steamerpoint View Post
    Hi Chris, I drilled mine about 3-months back! Because the mast foot was already glued in place, working out where to drill from the bottom would have been a nightmare, so I drilled four tiny pilot holes through the mastfoot in each corner, from the inside of the canoe. Then I could see the small holes on the underside and drilled them slightly larger and countersunk them before dipping the screws in G-Flex and screwing them in place. I trust you did it the same way?
    Similar.

Quote Originally Posted by windorpaddle View Post
    2mm? You should worry! I've been contemplating a self-bailer!!
    I think once you've made the first hole in the bottom there's something strangely liberating about it. It's like overcoming a taboo, you know it's going to work out okay but it goes against all your instincts. It's empowering!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
    I think once you've made the first hole in the bottom there's something strangely liberating about it. It's like overcoming a taboo, you know it's going to work out okay but it goes against all your instincts. It's empowering!
    Arrgh ... when I asked for advice on grab loops, I made 6 holes ... an extra 2 at the back as an extra bit of usefulness, though useful for what I've yet to work out (my bike lock cable won't quite fit through the waterproofed post and I'm loathe to fit a bigger one. Adrian commented ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cooper View Post
    6?!

I was expecting 4 ... Maybe 2 at the bottom to let the water out
    Now folks are actually drilling holes in the bottom of their canoes and I thought drilling the ones at the end was scary enough
    DCUK
    Can't ytpe or roopf read

You know you're getting seriously hooked on sailing your canoe when.......

Your boat needs some TLC and your paddles need dusting

Steve