Thread: Wnion troubles

Dave, I can't seem to input the incident on the Wnion (keep getting a 404 error when I submit it). I have a few more details about it if you PM me.

And the dunce award goes to.... Simon! I meant Keith! Sorry, it was a long day!

I can't identify what the problem was Simon but it's working for me now. Try again, but if you have more problems let me have the extra detail (like precisely where the incident took place) and I'll enter it.

This is exactly what the incident reports were designed for.
    Keith

I live near Forfar, in the county of Angus, Scotland.

Just another instance of someone putting up a sign, and believing that they have written a law. This accompanied by a daft plod that has'nt done his homework presenting himself to enforce it?
    You folks should really have stood your ground, and asked him to clarify which laws you were breaking.
    Regards, WW

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Quote Originally Posted by William Wallace View Post
    Just another instance of someone putting up a sign, and believing that they have written a law. This accompanied by a daft plod that has'nt done his homework presenting himself to enforce it?
    You folks should really have stood your ground, and asked him to clarify which laws you were breaking.
    Regards, WW
    Yes, good point WW, I don't think they have done the rest of the paddling community a favour (even though well intentioned and polite)

"Der Hirsch springt hoch,
    Der Hirsch springt weit.
    Es macht ja nichts........
    Er hat ja Zeit"

I have not seen the letter that is referred to on the rivers guidebook thread before

Has is already been posted and discussed on SotP?

It seems quite jaw-droppingly straightforward compared to so much that we read elsewhere (e.g. BCU!)

"the water itself...is not, at common law, the subject of property or capable of being granted to anybody. Flowing or running water is therefore considered as public or common. [Ownership of the river banks or bed] is separate and distinct from the water that passes above it and any use that is made of it"

Wow!

I almost expected the next paragraph to begin...

"This earth divided
    We will make whole
    So it can be
    A common treasury for all.

The sin of property
    We do disdain
    No one has any right to buy and sell
    The earth for private gain"

We were on tidal water on the Mawddach, in the summer, watching the water rise on a gauge, when someone tried to tell us we couldn't canoe because there was a sign. Not sure what he expected us to do, I ended up ignoring him. Mandy had the sense to ignore him from the start. The Mawddach and wnion are tidal quite far up, especially on a spring tide and can be accessed perfectly legally down stream. I know this doesn't help access further up, but it's probably the same people getting upset by us canoeists. To be fair the only person we encountered that was actually fishing, gave us a friendly wave in reply to ours.

Mark & Mandy.
    Last edited by The Lugg Birds; 26th-September-2011 at 05:14 PM.