Thread: getting your old tent remade / copied

Default getting your old tent remade / copied

Somewhere in the back of my mind, going back a good few years, I seem to recall there was a company who would remake you old tent.

You sent them the old flysheet and they used this as a template to copy, maybe also reusing the old alloy rings/clips etc.

They could also re-tape flysheets.

Maybe. Or was it all just a dream?

Anybody know more?
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

I believe Penny, at http://specialtyoutdoors.com/ will copy tents, or at least try. With tents being relatively inexpensive, though, you may find it more cost effective to just go a shiny new one. Shopping can be fun, if you shop for the right things.

Pringles

Quote Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
    I believe Penny, at http://specialtyoutdoors.com/ will copy tents, or at least try. With tents being relatively inexpensive, though, you may find it more cost effective to just go a shiny new one. Shopping can be fun, if you shop for the right things.

Pringles

My angle here is not to save money, or even to get a new tent, it is to get a new tent like the one I have which is no longer made, and there is nothing as good on the market just now.

I have a couple of beloved tents that I can no longer use, but can't throw away, because they are my (inanimate) friends. I'm fortunate in that I *have* found some other tents that meet my needs, and so have them, too. That's probably why I have ten tents sitting around at my house, and I can't bear the thought of getting rid of any.

Penny, at specialty outdoors, should be able to help revive your old "friend." If you want to try to do it yourself, she may be able to give you help, too. She's US based, though, I think, and you may want to see if someone UK based gets mentioned.

About favorite old equipment--I have a friend whose Nalgene bottle got a little too close to the fire one night, and started to bubble. I thought she was a little goofy when she started talking to her "old friend," the now wounded Nalgene bottle. But now I understand. I hope you find someone who can help you with your tent, whether you think of it as a friend or an object. :-)

Pringles

I'm a bit like that when it comes to my Billingham canvas and leather shoulder bag - it's been everywhere with me in the last 15 years...
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

No help on the subject, but I have a superb single person tent, now broken, that I'd love to see built in better quality materials. It was bought at Argos for 15 but has been discontinued, wish I'd bought a dozen of them.

I would recommend Spike for this job.

You can find his details here:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=1053

Back when I worked in outdoor retail there used to be the 'Tent Repair Service' which were based, I think, in Stirling. They repaired tents, rucksacks etc. but also made things like gaiters and midge nets. Now I may be wrong but I THINK they are the same company as SMG (Scottish Mountain Gear). Perhaps they could help you out.
    All this may be a red herring but it also may be a start from which to do some net-based research!

Matt

I think we now live in a disposable age , everything that is now manufactured is produced so cheap as to be disposable. I have an old book from the seventies that shows you how to repair everything from a lawnmower to a handbag strap. As for tents learn new skills and repair them yourself, I cant use a sewing machine but my hand sewing skills are not to bad .
    We could learn a thing or two from the third world they recycle everything , if it cant be repaired they turn it into something else .
    Harry
    Guy Fawkes
    The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I think we now live in a disposable age , everything that is now manufactured is produced so cheap as to be disposable. I have an old book from the seventies that shows you how to repair everything from a lawnmower to a handbag strap. As for tents learn new skills and repair them yourself, I cant use a sewing machine but my hand sewing skills are not to bad .
    We could learn a thing or two from the third world they recycle everything , if it cant be repaired they turn it into something else .
    Harry

Its a fair point, but not really the case here. Ive had the tent a long time and it has done a lot of nights out. The design and workmanship is top notch, but UV has taken its toll. It still works, but a new one would be nice.

( Phoenix Phreeranger EB )

I have been in contact with SMG (Gordon, he cannot do it, but we have been exchanging emails all morning and he is trying to come up with an alternative. Not bad considering he has already said he cannot take my money. Check out SMG for general repairs etc)
    Last edited by tenboats1; 28th-February-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Duluth Tent and Awning (the folks who make the Duluth pack) used to do this, until about ten years ago, but I think they are strictly packs now. I have a touring tent made by them in the 1920s and they used to make beautiful tents - including the "Snowtrekker" tents. Locally, Proctor Canvas still makes and repairs tents and they do a good job.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    ( Phoenix Phreeranger EB )
    That's funny- I was reading this thread and thinking about my own Phoenix Phreeranger EB- it's a fantastic 1.5 man tent and I dread it's inevitable passing!

Me and a girlfriend spent 30 days hitching round New Zealand with it. It was a bit of a squeeze but she is Mrs travellas now

Fantastic tent, there is nothing like it on the market- someone should remake it.
    (you see the odd one on ebay now and again)

Update: Does this help any?
    Last edited by travellas; 28th-February-2007 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Update added
    All of life is a journey ...

Quote Originally Posted by travellas View Post
    Me and a girlfriend spent 30 days hitching round New Zealand with it. It was a bit of a squeeze but she is Mrs travellas now

Fantastic tent, there is nothing like it on the market- someone should remake it.
    (you see the odd one on ebay now and again)

Update: Does this help any?
    Hey, same thing happened to me.............must be pretty romantic tents eh?

And that link..................good god, that is a pretty close match! The weight seems to be top side though? Must weigh my EB and see how it measures up. Thanks Travellas.

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    And that link..................good god, that is a pretty close match! The weight seems to be top side though? Must weigh my EB and see how it measures up. Thanks Travellas.
    Yeah, I think it looks a little bigger and heavier, but if you read the company history it seems to be the original Phoenix guys!
    All of life is a journey ...

Default tents

Tony

I've also had good experiences of SMG, so sorry to hear they cannot do anything for you.

I bumped into an interesting fella called Andy Woodward in Greenland who makes and repairs tents, this is a link to his web site

http://www.antarcticatents.co.uk/contact.htm

He seemed be able to make or repair anything.

Sorry not been in touch about getting out boating recently and the diary is looking pretty full for the next 3 weekends or so.

Daniel

Plymouth, Plymouth, United Kingdom, 107666599263369, Plymouth

There is a company that make historical tents to order i don't know if they can help try http://www.past-tents.demon.co.uk/

good luck
    JR

was interested enough to google a tent so highly rated - I found this....

I've had the 1+ Phoenix Phreeranger EB for over 10 years now and I'd consider it faultless. East to pitch fly first, ample room inside for a one-man backpack and decent size bell for cooking/storage.

But Karrimor took over and promptly killed em off. However they're back again and making tents under the name of Omega and con be found at (http://www.omegaoutdoor.co.uk/outdoo...catalogue.htm). The Phreeranger is now called the Outland and will cost you less than 200.
    not much help with repair but possibly a good replacement?