Thread: Why do we sail our canoes?

Default Why do we sail our canoes?

It was with some interest that I read the thread on sailing with or without a rudder. It occurred to me that we all seem to be sailing our canoes for a variety of reasons, some preferring a rather more purist approach than others. There's obviously no right or wrong method of sailing and no right or wrong reason for doing so.

I sail my canoe for the following reasons.

1) I already own the canoe and therefore a boat (whatever I do with it)
    2) It's easy to store and transport
    3) Sailing my canoe is far more fun than paddling when on large expanses of open wild and windy water.
    4) I'm a maverick and just do not like following the crowd (yes I admit it!)
    5) Most of all - I built the boat myself and that gives me the greatest satisfaction when I look up at the huge suspension bridges on the Sever Estuary of pass by all the mass produced gin palaces moored up on rivers like the Dart.

My canoe sailing has nothing to do with ideals or traditions. It just suits my needs and my personality.

So come on then - Why do the rest of you sail canoe and not dinghies or other craft?

WHEN I finally get rigged for sailing, it'll be for a few reasons. Here are the most important reasons in order:

1. My local estuary gets far too windy to paddle (I don't really like driving long distance just to paddle).
    2. I like sailing.
    3. My deeds prevent me from having a boat on the drive. Oh, and my bank balance!

If I had it all my way, I'd have a Hobie Wave for windy days, a place to store it, and my canoe for calm days.

I sail a canoe for lots of reasons, but not the least of these is my enthusiasm for the West Coast of Scotland.

We donít have a Canadian Boundary Waters in the UK, but we do have the West Coast of Scotland, itís our wilderness area.

Yachts and kayaks can be used to explore the West Coast, but I just enjoy sailing canoes more.

I Llike to sail my canoes for the sheer joy it gives me when the sail fills and canoe shoots away all that power and not a sound but the water at the bow. Add to that a nice place with lots to see weather alone or with others the feeling of being alive. cheers jay

Quote Originally Posted by canoesailer View Post
    I Llike to sail my canoes for the sheer joy it gives me when the sail fills and canoe shoots away all that power and not a sound but the water at the bow. Add to that a nice place with lots to see weather alone or with others the feeling of being alive. cheers jay
    Spot on. Just sailing in general. Pitting ones skill to harness mother nature. A to B travel for free. Carbon neutral fun. (Except for the diesel getting there of course!) Keeps you fit. Reminds you that your still alive. Canoes are easy to transport & store and when there is no wind, you can just paddle off while other sailors are wagging their tiller's and constantly roll tacking!

Sail when you can, paddle when you must... I sail my canoe, I don't paddle a yacht.
    Anyone can do that with two blades...

Because it's fun!

On more of a sour note: Sold my Klepper sail rig at a rummage sale. I could never get it to tack near as well as the cat rig. Lady came, very interested (who wouldn't want to get $600 worth of rig for $35?). I talked it up, told her all the ins and outs of a gaff rigged main and a fore and aft sailing set up. When I was all done with my spiel and money had exchanged hands - she informed me she wanted it for "lawn art." Then she asked me if I thought it was a good idea for where she lived.

She lives on Park Point, right on Lake Superior. There isn't a windier place around. I told her I thought it was a GREAT idea. If she gets it up today, it should last at least until tomorrow.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

As Kenneth Grahame quotes in his classic Children's Book ,'The Wind in the Willows'. "There is nothing absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."

Default Flexibility

Firstly I don't just sail a canoe....but what I love about sailing a canoe is the flexibility it offers. It is the same boat I paddled down that rapid in France; and the same one I lugged over that bloody awful portage in Scotland and what do you know it is a also a highly functional sailing boat which is well balanced and a joy to sail. It has allowed me to make brillian, unforgettable trips which would not have been remotely possible in the other boats I sail or the other things I paddle.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Charlie.
    It's turned out nice again!