Thread: Hammock camping

Default Hammock camping

Hi

Just a quick post recommending the use of a hammock for camping. My son sometimes takes one of our canoes on a brief canoe camping expedition, and uses a hammock and tarp. Rivers generally have plenty of trees, and a canoeist can camp unobtrusively almost anywhere. I have camped a number of times with hammock and tarp, and can recommend it as a superb way to travel light and sleep well outdoors. My hammock is a "Tenth Wonder", about the cheapest on the market, and fantastic value for money, and my tarp is a "DD" which is cleverly designed to be incredibly versatile.

"Hennessy" hammocks are an upmarket version, said to be brilliant, although I could never afford one. They are insect proof, and entered from below through a velcro entrance, which makes them very easy to use.

Anyone out there tried hammock camping from a canoe ?

John
    If you look for a happy person you will find them building a canoe!

Canoe building courses in my riverside workshop at www.birchcanoes.com

I haven't tried hammock camping from a canoe but that is my plan once I build my self a canoe. At the moment I try to camp out once a month in my hammock. Best nights sleep ever. I have a DD Frontline and DD tarp.
    resnikov

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;"

blog & twitter

99% of my trips are hammock camping, sometimes if we push on over to the coastal lochs I'll pack and bivvy or 1 man tent for the beach camps.
    Rich

My son and I are trying out hammock and tarps for thru-hiking. Usually in a canoe, weight is less of an issue, so a tent is the way to go. However, I'm starting to really like the comfort of being up off the ground.

WFW
    Last edited by Wetfootwilley; 3rd-September-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: add picture
    "When in doubt - play dead!" - Red Green

Yea I Hammock canoe

I have a better view from my video footage but i need to compress it some more. Tarp over the top of my washing line and hammock it had been a very wet night. I love sleeping in the hammock once you get used to it its a great nights sleep. I have a http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tenth-Wond...item5ae22d6260
    Midge proof which I can truley claim as the little buggers were running trying hard to get in I have modifyed it a little with paracord and better zip pulls also in the under section i put the foam kneeling sheets from the canoe to act a thermal break. And of course my Yukon fire box )))

With sargasso tarp best money I ever spent.