Thread: Canoe Sailing Meet - East Midlands

Default Canoe Sailing Meet - East Midlands

With a bank holiday weekend only 5-days away, I wondererd if anyone fancied meeting up on the Sunday or Monday?

I was thinking about going somewhere like Grafham Water, Rutland Water, Ferry Meadows or somewhere else in the Cambridge, Peterborough area.

I know that there won't be a problem canoe sailing at Rutland Water or Ferry Meadows, but I would still need to check with Grafham Water tomorrow (No one in the office today!) as I know that they don't allow canoes without sails unless with an instructor launched from the Grafham Water Centre.

Another venue is Pitsford Reservoir Sailing Club just north of Northampton, though I have never been there!

Anyone up for a day's sailing?

Chris.

Last edited by Steamerpoint; 23rd-August-2011 at 02:06 PM.

I still kick myself regularly for missing out on the chance to go see and question canoe sailors in Devon. I have so many questions and would love to see what people have made themselves, and hear what works and what what to avoid or what I absolutely must do/get.

Quote Originally Posted by bhofmann View Post
    I still kick myself regularly for missing out on the chance to go see and question canoe sailors in Devon. I have so many questions and would love to see what people have made themselves, and hear what works and what what to avoid or what I absolutely must do/get.
    Well your only 4-hours away, set off early and come out for the day. Bring your canoe and go for a paddle while your at it.
    I'm sure it will be possible to have a go sailing something too.

Thanks for the PM Brian. I know that you can canoe at Rutland Water, but only near the North shore sailing club, but Ferry Meadows you can use the whole lake. That said it is a lot smaller in size. I'm good on either the Sunday or Monday and weather looks similar for both days. In fact, I don't mind going out on both days as all the venues are quite close to me.

I'll PM you my phone number so you can call me when you know which day is best for you.

Richard, I know you can't make the weekend of the 3rd and 4th, but you didn't say whether this coming weekend was any good for you?

I am still waiting to hear from Ian, so don't know if he is coming out to play yet!

Can't make it that date, I'm afraid. But well done for organising this. I'll try to come to the next one.
    All the best,
    Ian

Hi Ian, Just read your PM too. Being out of the country is no excuse! Lol .
    No worries mate, just give me a shout when your back and we will meet up another time.

Hi Chris

I could come up on Sunday morning if you are still keen.
    The forcast for that day looks like it being sunny and windy!
    Did you find out about the possibility of canoe sailing on Grafton water?

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes Grafham Water will allow us to sail there no problem. A little pricy on Sunday's though if you are okay with the fees. Normally they charge 8 for the boat and 10 per person (I could have got that the wrong way round) but on Sunday's they charge an extra 7 for non-sailing club members to try and allow more space for club members. I asked about the Bank Holiday Monday and they said it is classed as a normal day. So that's 25 to sail there on Sunday.

If on the other hand, you want to drive a further 17-miles, you can sail at Ferry Meadows (A quarter of the size of Grafham Water) for only around 7 or drive a further 28-miles past Grafham Water and sail at Rutland water for around 15. (Nearly twice as big as Grafham Water)

I once took my Enterprise on Ferry Meadows lake with my electric outboard, without the mast and rigging up and they charged me the higher launch fees because they said I had a sailing dinghy. I now have the last laugh when I take my canoe sailing because they reluctantly allow me to launch on cheaper canoe/ kayak launch fees! They can't have it both ways!!

I'm easy on the choice of venue though, so happy to go with any. I have sailed my Enterprise on Grafham Water before and it is a nice big lake. Rutland is nicer and Ferry Meadows is cheaper and more intimate. In strong winds though, you are quickly going up and down tacking every 3 to 5 minutes.

I'm not worried if it's windy. I haven't got the canoe going fast enough yet anyway as I've only sailed her in a force 3, gusting to force 4 and would like to spend more time out on the gunwales anyway, though I would expect to get wet. If it does get up to force 6, I might just swap my rig for your 25 sqr/ft rig when your not looking.

I'll PM you my phone number and we can chat about it on the phone if you like.
    Last edited by Steamerpoint; 25th-August-2011 at 11:35 PM.

So far, Richard is looking definite for Sunday.
    Brian will join us if he can get away either Sunday or Monday.
    Andy will join us if he can get away either Sunday or Monday.
    Ian can't come because he is on the other side of the planet. (Poor excuse )

Anyone else?

Richard & I will be sailing on Rutland Water this Sunday then and anyone else that feels like joining us.

We will be meeting up at the Whitwell Sailing/ Canoe Club on the North shore at around 10am.

I will leave my mobile number with the staff on reception and have my mobile with me in the canoe, so if anyone else feels like coming at the last minute, they can just call me and we will head back to say hi.

The nice thing about Rutland Water is that there are an area to paddle your canoe for those that don't have sailing rigs so worth coming if you fancy doing some paddleing.

I really need Richard to teach me a few paddle strokes anyway, so doubt I will be spending all my time sailing anyway.

As I have said earlier, I might be sailing in the area on Monday also, if Sunday is no good to others that want to do some sailing/ canoeing on Monday.

Richard & I had an excellent day on Rutland Water yesterday. The winds started off breezy at around 10 to 14 mph, but manageable.

I took our son David out with me who sat on the floor between the yoke & the mast (I had made him an angled back support to lean against), so I needed to be careful today and avoid a capsize.

By midday the winds were picking up and we both got soaked as wave upon wave crashed into the bow and covered us in spray. Each wave was around a meter high as winds picked up to 24 mph (Force 5 touching force 6!)

I was touching the limits of my ability in these conditions and felt that I was spilling air from the sail whenever a big gust hit, but it was fun and we stayed upright, hitting speeds I didn't know were possible in a canoe. Even my son was leaning over the side to help me keep things level. Very exciting.

Richard wasn't making as much progress without a rudder or fixed leeboard, plus he has the smaller 25 sq/ft rig. We circled back a few times to try and stay together. At one point, the wind was so strong it blew his hat off and it was never seen again. Shortly after trying to find it, I huge gust hit and Richard found himself overboard in the water!

Richard found himself in the same situation I found myself in on Hickling Broad, with the canoe full to the gunwales and waves crashing in every 3-seconds, so bailing wasn’t an option. Instead he had a half mile swim to the bank in which to empty the canoe.

The rescue boat came to his assistance, but by this time, Richard was approaching the shallows and continued to sort himself out. I am sure he will offer his thoughts on the subject at some point.

We had a laugh about it later over a coffee, but these events serve to focus the mind about fitting extra buoyancy to sailing canoes, even with the smaller 25 sq/ft rigs.

After lunch, we removed the sailing rigs and went for a paddle in the shelter of the trees and sports centre, where I practiced some new paddle strokes taught by Richard.

It was then back to mine for something to eat & drink and more canoe sailing discussions, before he left for home and the end of a great day.

Below is a photo of Richard, still drying out!

Well after nearly two years of paddling an open canoe without incident. I thought I should practice a capsize, so the middle of Rutland Water in a force five with no immediate help to hand seemed the ideal place!
    The lessons learned for me were, when crossing a large expanse of water, don't carry unnecessary equipment that doesn't provide floatation ie canoe trolleys, have more flotation, don't have numerous items such as waterproof cameras, waterproof glasses cases etc on cords that end out floating out of your pockets and getting tangled up, keep spare paddle and dry bag etc more securely tied down and treat very windy conditions on a large expanse of water with more respect!

Richard

Oh and thanks Chris for organising the day out!

Hi Richard, perhaps fitting those barrels under your thwart would be a good idea for the next time, unless of course you keep this canoe for paddling and fit them into your other canoe and kit that out for sailing with a couple of outriggers as you suggested.

Your photo really does show the calm before the storm! Very inviting in fact. Certainly not the conditions that greated us later on when you went for your swim!

Had a great time though and on the plus side, at least your not a capsize virgin anymore!

Give me a shout when you want to do it again. Maybe there is somewhere near you to do some sailing and I'll make the trip your way for a change.

That picture was taken only shortly before I was blown over! You can actually see the foam forming on the waves.
    After some more thought I think I will sell the other boat and just keep using my Bell Prospector getting at later date the fixed leeboard and rudder.
    I'm going to do a little more work on my barrel staps to make them stronger. I will also constuct some shaped packing out of closed cell foam to stop the barrels moving from side to side as well.
    There is nowhere really near me to go sailing so I may as well travel back up your way to test it out at some time (bringing my dry suit as well!)

Richard