Thread: Lake District Wild Camping

Default Lake District Wild Camping

Sure it's been posted a thousand times, but as I'm new to the forum, maybe I'll get a reprieve. I want to do a few/several days wild camping in the Lake District and I've heard there are restictions under a certain altitude, though not sure exactly what elevation. Has anyone got some ideas on itineraries, lakes or lakes linked by rivers to keep me busy for a while? Cheers for your help.

Default Wild camping

Welcome Heltor Chasca

Wild camping was discussed on this thread.

Not sure about multi day itineraries in the Lakes- its a good question- look forward to hearing ideas.
    All of life is a journey ...

You will need to check this with the LDNPA tourist board but I'm pretty sure that wild camping is allowed above 350m in non-agricultural improves areas (i.e. not a field!). You can camp anywhere above 350m on the open fells only. NO FIRES are allowed under wild camping in England. This includes BBQ's, a stove is tolerated. Dont block gates, stiles etc... Its all common sense really.

This may have changed under right to roam but dont think so.

As for where well there are a lot of fells to choose from but I would really suggest contacting LDNPA (Lake District National Park Aurthority) as to the appropriate fells. They will probaly try to get you into a campsite but argue your point and they will help.

Hope it helps

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Thanks for all the advice. I'll get onto the LDNPA. Sounds like an interesting call to make. Looking forward to hearing comments from others.
    Just add wheat, barley, hops and a boat.

Lakeshore wild camping is generally a problem in the Lake District. As this is not Scotland the law as others have described applies. With common sense and great discretion you can get away with it. Camping on the various islands is a most definite no no but as a visit will show has not stopped some, myself included.

Although it is not the same it is more sensible to use lake shore campsites. These can be found on ullswater [both ends], Windermere, Coniston & Derwentwater [north ends] Ullswater is particularly attractive as you can camp at one end, canoe to the other and camp and even have the possibility of a sneeky wildcamp part way along the east shore [try the silver bay area]

The geography of the area rules out linking trips on the various lakes with the notable exception of Derwentwater & Bassenthwaite, a permit being needed for the later lake.

"LakelandPete" will now describe some great tours with mega portages over the most unlikely terrain. Only joking Pete.

Don't be put off though, it's a great area.

In the event that it is high level wild camping you are interested in let me know and I can suggest a hoste of spots as I used to be an outdoor instructor in the area and seemed to spend most of my time on the hills with groups.
    Last edited by aslan; 21st-February-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: ommission
    Aslan

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    The geography of the area rules out linking trips on the various lakes with the notable exception of Derwentwater & Bassenthwaite, a permit being needed for the later lake.

"LakelandPete" will now describe some great tours with mega portages over the most unlikely terrain. Only joking Pete.

...I'm still sorely tempted by the portage over the Kirkstone Pass....

My ideal 4-day trip could be: -

Day1 - put in at the south end of Windermere and paddle up to Low Wray campsite.
    Day2 - Paddle over to Ambleside and paddle/pole up the Rothay as far as possible, then portage over the Kirkstone and camp at Brothers Water (notwithstanding the fact i've never poled anywhere and don't even have one)
    Day3 - Paddle across Brothers water and down the river into Ullswater. Camp at the campsite on the southern end and have a day fooling around.
    Day4 - Paddle up to Pooley Bridge and get going home...

What a trip!!

Paddle up to Pooley Bridge and get going home
    But don't you want to paddle or pole down the Eamont and Eden to the sea?!

You may have a point there.... OK, i'll add on another day...

Day5 - paddle or pole down the Eamont and Eden to the sea

There! Now just got to get the time off, and more difficultly, get my "pass" signed

I would take more than one day to do all that fine river mileage (and don't forget to arrange the access with the landowners will you?!)

Quote Originally Posted by windorpaddle View Post
    I would take more than one day to do all that fine river mileage (and don't forget to arrange the access with the landowners will you?!)

A very, very good point, my knowledge of that area is very limited; however, Would that i could...................... The chances of me getting a pass signed in the near future for such an adventure are so low that winning the lottery would be more acheivable

Quote Originally Posted by 86inch View Post
    ...I'm still sorely tempted by the portage over the Kirkstone Pass....

My ideal 4-day trip could be: -

Day1 - put in at the south end of Windermere and paddle up to Low Wray campsite.
    Day2 - Paddle over to Ambleside and paddle/pole up the Rothay as far as possible, then portage over the Kirkstone and camp at Brothers Water (notwithstanding the fact i've never poled anywhere and don't even have one)
    Day3 - Paddle across Brothers water and down the river into Ullswater. Camp at the campsite on the southern end and have a day fooling around.
    Day4 - Paddle up to Pooley Bridge and get going home...

What a trip!!
    Walking form Ambleside over Kirkstone and down to Brothers Water takes about 6hrs with a 20lb rucksack (add another 30 minutes for the pint of Bluebird at the Kirkston Pass Inn ).

Only other thing is that paddling down the Eamont and Eden should be OK as as far as I can recal (my guide is not near me at the moment) it is all covered by access agreements because it is quite a popular route. But I have a feeling it is very sepcific and I imagine it probably only has a week or two left to run until next winter. Check though.

This isn't really wild camping but of an interesting note - You can stay overnight in your car at the carpark at the north end of Coniston. The police will roll about 11:45-11:50 at night (like clockwork) and you simply say that you missed getting into a B&B and they let you sleep there but wont you away after 7:00am. You can even ask for an alarm call, but I warn you you may not get a pleasent reply . The only problem I have is that my car has a local reg so I cant do it after night paddling.

And I am ignoring Aslans idea that my reg is from Barrow, much nicer to think Lindale .

86-Inch (is that you real name - does it signify something important ) - You should post dates if your going to this as I am sure many would wait at the pub at the top of the pass to give a few encouraging words .

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Pete View Post
    Walking form Ambleside over Kirkstone and down to Brothers Water takes about 6hrs with a 20lb rucksack (add another 30 minutes for the pint of Bluebird at the Kirkston Pass Inn ).
    Sure that wasn't after a late night at the Salutation in Ambleside Pete
    Aslan

Wink ALL good walks have pubs en-route

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Sure that wasn't after a late night at the Salutation in Ambleside Pete
    The salutation??...certainly not! More like I was in Lucy4s (some wicked wicked european beers) .

Plus I might have spent more time on the Kirkstone Inn that I thought, or remember .

Also to be fair I am trying to calculate leaving out a diversion to The Mortal Man in Towend.

Pete
    Lakeland Pete