Thread: Beavertail paddles

Default Beavertail paddles

Have received a superb paddle from Edenwood - highly recommend these paddles as they are a work of art and beautiful to use. Will be reserving mine strictly for flat water though.

If anyone is looking to obtain a Bending Branches beavertail, I can recommend buying one online from Duluth Pack in the USA. Retailers here in the UK wanted 105, but I got mine for 66 (including p&p) by purchasing it on the net. I use it for river running as it is fairly robust and has a protective shield around the tip. The original withstood a lot of knocks and only broke when mown over by a friends boat whilst it was stuck between two rocks (oops!) - I paddle a lot of grade 2/3 water and had used the paddle regularly for about 4 years.

The paddle maker for Shaw &Tenney, L.L.Bean, & Old Town is selling Ash beavertail paddles on the US version of eBay for around half price.
    Considering you can order them stained or natural, and custom lengths, this is a very good deal. I ordered a pair in natural white ash at 52" over a weekend, and had them in my hand by the following Friday, after an email informing me they didn't have any this size in stock, and would have to re-adjust some machines to do so.
    By counting backwards, I determined someone came in early on a Sunday to make my paddles- totally unexpected service, and the workmanship and finish is beyond reproach.

The seller goes by the name of

Quote Originally Posted by RevDoc View Post
    The paddle maker for Shaw &Tenney, L.L.Bean, & Old Town is selling Ash beavertail paddles on the US version of eBay for around half price.
    Considering you can order them stained or natural, and custom lengths, this is a very good deal. I ordered a pair in natural white ash at 52" over a weekend, and had them in my hand by the following Friday, after an email informing me they didn't have any this size in stock, and would have to re-adjust some machines to do so.
    By counting backwards, I determined someone came in early on a Sunday to make my paddles- totally unexpected service, and the workmanship and finish is beyond reproach.

The seller goes by the name of
    Probably the owner. If you live in Patten Maine http://dri-kiwoodworking.com/ you have to cobble together lots of skills. They refers to the owner and family and friends most likely. That "they" could ship so fast is an indication of excellent customer service. Patten is a tiny town(1100 people) albeit with a small supermarket. Millinocket is a big city in comparison( 5000). There is not much between Patten and Millinocket They are about 60 miles apart.

That Marty Brown paddle looks very interesting.. Lots of times in Maine we have to stand up and scout where the water is and isn't. The paddle looks meant for very shallow water (like the Allagash in Sept) with the variable grip Mainers like for the Northwoods stroke when they finally can sit down.

Dri Ki is what we call dead seasoned timber..Usually its driftwood.
    "Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing." WS-prophecy about internet postings.

Hello all - saw this video on Youtube, did a quick search on Dri-kiwoodworking and this thread was in the search results. The video is interesting - seems like a great deal for a spare paddle - although they look very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dmwnb0FzFk

Chris

Hi Rachel, I am interested in buying a bending branches beavertail paddle and have been in touch with Duluth Pack direct who have quoted me approximately $58.00 postage and packing which will take the price to just under about 90.00 in total. Can you say how you got it delivered for 66.00 please and whether you got hit with any Customs charges. Thanks, Chris

Rachel, just seen the date you posted this, assumed it was this August, doh, apologies and forget responding. Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tariacuri View Post
    Hello all - saw this video on Youtube, did a quick search on Dri-kiwoodworking and this thread was in the search results. The video is interesting - seems like a great deal for a spare paddle - although they look very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dmwnb0FzFk

Chris
    And that guy still has all of his fingers. Amazing.

Thanks Chris for posting the link. . . . Ben