Thread: Chew Valley Lakes - South of Bristol

Question Chew Valley Lakes - South of Bristol

I have scanned the internet for information on canoe access for both lakes. I see that you can sail and dare I say it, go fiing but there is no information about canoe access. Without adding to the current debate , does anyone know if you can paddle either of the lakes?

Cheers
    Alec aka Wayne

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

The nearest thing I've found is this page from the Bristol Water website.
    It's about sailing tho' - which is managed by chew valley lake sailing club so I guess either bluff it, or talk to someone at Bristol Water.

My guess is thanks, but no thanks ...

Good luck tho' - itis quite pretty through there.

OT totally now, but we nearly wrote of a Fiat Punto hire car there, braking to avoid some ducks (happily we all survived intact).

There's a village with very distinctive arectecture there somewhere too - from memory it struck me as looking very Alpine, but I course, I can't remember what it's called ...

Ooo this brings back memories..... I went to Chew Valley School, used to run across the dam at the top end of the lake during cross country races.

The lakes [Chew and Blagdon] are controlled by Bristol Water Plc and can be contacted via:

Bristol Water Plc
    Recreation Dept
    Woodfood Lodge
    Chew Stoke
    Bristol
    BS40 8XH

Tel. 01275 332339

I have never seen a canoe on either lakes, and neither has my father, and he has been fishing them both for over fifty years.

Would like to know how you get on.....

Cheers

Sprout

I used to live just down the road from Chew Valley Lake and I made enquiries through a neighbour who is a sailig club member. I was told the lake is private and only club members were admitted. Seems a shame really, it would be an ideal piece of water.

Chew Valley Lake is the biggest inland waterway in the South-West of England....................Oh I feel another petition coming on

Angry Well I tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    The lakes [Chew and Blagdon] are controlled by Bristol Water Plc and can be contacted via:

Bristol Water Plc
    Recreation Dept
    Woodfood Lodge
    Chew Stoke
    Bristol
    BS40 8XH

Tel. 01275 332339

I have never seen a canoe on either lakes, and neither has my father, and he has been fishing them both for over fifty years.

Would like to know how you get on.....

Cheers

Sprout
    I rang the above number it was answered "hello Chew Valley Fisheries". Good start I thought

The "gentleman" informed me that there was no canoeing allowed, as the Sailing Club had exclusive rights. I mentioned that was a pity, at which point he decided to lecture me on joining the waiting list or bidding for the rights in about 3 years time. Only need 1/2 million pounds.

I gathered from his sarcastic tone that he was a member of the sailing club, who also fished and had a severe disliking for canoeists. I was polite, but he was not It did not strike me that I rang a public service, but more of a private members club.
    Alec aka Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by GL12 View Post
    I rang the above number it was answered "hello Chew Valley Fisheries". Good start I thought

The "gentleman" informed me that there was no canoeing allowed, as the Sailing Club had exclusive rights. I mentioned that was a pity, at which point he decided to lecture me on joining the waiting list or bidding for the rights in about 3 years time. Only need 1/2 million pounds.

I gathered from his sarcastic tone that he was a member of the sailing club, who also fished and had a severe disliking for canoeists. I was polite, but he was not It did not strike me that I rang a public service, but more of a private members club.
    I would sugest a polite enquiry to the sailing club if they have the exclusive rights. If the response isn't polite you could always fly a socking great Jolly Rodger off the canoe and invite them to sue you for damages.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

I have written to Bristol Water to complain about the reception that I received. I have also asked for clarification on canoe access.

It seems that the lake is not exclusive to the sailing club, fishing boats can be hired. http://www.bristolwater.co.uk/pdf/fishing/buzzer07.pdf

They may have an ageement with the sailing club though.
    Alec aka Wayne

I have written to Bristol Water to complain about the reception that I received. I have also asked for clarification on canoe access.
    I think you are right to do so, when the lake was being proposed it was sold to the local community as being something that would become a public amenity not just a reservoir for water. It was a big decision, as good farm land and a local village called Merton now lies at the bottom of Chew.
    Certainly it attracts many visitors to the various picnic sites, You can grab quite a nice meal and a pint at Woodford lodge. There is a huge bird-watching fraternity who descend on the lakes and there are numerous walks around the lakes with all sorts of I&I on the flora and fauna. I really think canoeing should be in keeping.

Perhaps the chap you spoke with, had thoughts of hordes of kayakers coming down, trashing about the lake - sorry not my personal view, just playing devil's advocate

It seems that the lake is not exclusive to the sailing club, fishing boats can be hired. http://www.bristolwater.co.uk/pdf/fishing/buzzer07.pdf
    They may have an agreement with the sailing club though.
    Yes you can hire fishing boats, but for fishing from, not as a casual water craft. [caught my first ever trout from a boat at Butcombe Bay, on Blagdon Lake - yes named after the local village where the brewery is].

Keep us informed as to how you get on.....

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
    Keep us informed as to how you get on.....
    A copy of the e-mail I received-

"Thanks for your e mail. Sorry to have taken a while to reply but our e
    mail systems were down yesterday.

The number you rang is Woodford Lodge, where the Fisheries and
    Recreations Dept is based. I am surprised by your comments regarding the
    attitude of the person to whom you spoke, as our staff there are
    renowned for their polite helpfulness. I will, of course, pass your
    comments to the Fisheries and Recreations Manager.

As regards your original question: We do not allow canoeing or paddling
    on any Bristol Water lakes. This is for safety and security reasons;
    also, where we have sailing clubs operating, their leases stipulate
    exclusive use of the waters involved for sailing purposes.

regards"

Ah... the old safety & security trick , as Inspector Clouseau would say.

Hoodies on and paddles away (said in the tone of a WW2 RAF pilot ).
    Alec aka Wayne

Default A few thoughts.

I am lucky enough to know Chew well having spent a great deal of my youth Sailing and Fishing on the lake. Alas although I sympathise with the lack of access for canoes I suspect you will struggle against local politics and significant local clout. Even to sail as a junior member in the old days we had to pay a small fortune !

You might get some access if you offered a green alternative to the outboard powered safety boats at Sailing Events.

Or maybe organised a project with one of the local schools Chew, Wells Blue or St. Gregory's Bath, which maybe involved youngsters building canoes and then learning to use them on the lake in a responsible manner, local schools used to sail on a wednesday after noon in the Summer Term. Quite a lot is done for the Bristol Schools on the docks etc. but less is done for these more rural schools.

Hope this helps, will probably get lynched for this if I can ever afford to return home to the Chew Valley to live.

A Son of Somerset alas in Exile !

Default Allez Bath

Hi Sprout.

Great to see the Avatar, god i miss saturdays at the Rec.

A fan in exile in Aberdeenshire, coaching Rugby.

13. Default

You could always try taking a fishing rod along when you go paddling on the lakes! ehm... I mean, you could always take your canoe along when you go fishing on the lakes!

Soggy

My old boss is on the sailing committee - will see how the land lies..(he owes me a favour - I made him a wealthy man!)
    Yos

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hi Sprout.

Great to see the Avatar, god i miss saturdays at the Rec.

So do I..............

Ahh the glory days of Coochie, Simon Halliday, Dave Edgerton, Richard Spurrell, Barnsy, David Sole ........... I could go on

Not sure it's the same now it's all become professional

Yes, the lake is great..........running along the dam as part of the route on cross country races [re:Chew Valley School] brings back memories