Thread: Invitation: OCSG Meet at Barton Turf 29-31 July, 2011

Default Invitation: OCSG Meet at Barton Turf 29-31 July, 2011

This is an invitation to the Open Canoe Sailing Group meet at Barton Turf over the weekend of 29-31 July, 2011.

We'll be staying at the Barton Turf Adventure Centre: this is not a public campground (it's not licensed for that)... but the Open Canoe Sailing Group has a booking for the weekend.

My list of who's coming is growing steadily, and one early booking was from Wayne, who's planning to visit with the "Cream of Manchester": the finest custom-built sailing canoe I've ever seen (cedar strip deck, bermudan rig, pivoting centreplate, and incredibly seaworthy)...

Others will be present with everything from home built sailing canoes and to standard open canoes sporting expedition rigs / lugsails...

Dave Stubbs is making the journey down from Solway Dory and will doubtless be on hand to answer a million and one questions... as will Steve Robinson (formerly OCSG Training Officer: a very experienced coach on both the canoe and sailing fronts) and doubtless other veterans of the OCSG with their diverse backgrounds.

Of course, visitors would, as ever at OCSG meets, be most welcome: I already know of several paddlers who are coming to take a look!

More details can be found here: http://www.ocsg.org.uk/latest-news/b...olk-meet-info/

Default visiting canoes

Hi

Could you tell me if visitors are welcome with their canoe, of the non sailing type. I have 1964 classic Swedish 14' cold molded model, called Trout, and would like to bring it along. I would in the future like to do a self build, with which i would like to paddle, sail, and have fittings for an electric outboard. I am sure i would get many ideas from this rally, and have been to Barton turf before, and know it is an ideal spot. Could you let me know if we have to have a pass to enter the site. I know parking is limited outside the gates, i would make my own arrangments re lodgings, and would like to book two for lunch on the Saturday. Regards Tony

Quote Originally Posted by woodisgood View Post
    Could you tell me if visitors are welcome with their canoe, of the non sailing type. I have 1964 classic Swedish 14' cold molded model, called Trout, and would like to bring it along. I would in the future like to do a self build, with which i would like to paddle, sail, and have fittings for an electric outboard. I am sure i would get many ideas from this rally
    My understanding is that we've already got a few paddlers coming without an open canoe and no rig, but with a keen interest in finding out more: this is the first meet I've co-ordinated, but I'm told our insurance covers guests... and on that basis... please do join us!

My list will show you as a prospective OCSG member: that's a no-commitment status!!!

Dave and Jan are also coming from SD. Looking forward to it.

Are you camping Dave or in a B&B?

Quote Originally Posted by Steamerpoint View Post
    Are you camping Dave or in a B&B?
    Though anyone would be welcome to find a B&B, there's little call for B&B with Barton Turf: the camping field is great... but anyone wanting an easy life can call Simon and book one of his residences: you'd be under canvas... but with a wooden floor and proper beds... and we've all got access to the camp facilities.

This is for everyone: and Simon and Sheila are offering cooked breakfasts, soup/sandwich/fruit style lunches and evening meals...

... with a BBQ Saturday evening

The catering was all fantastic at the Home Built Boat Rally last year, and I'm sure it will be again.

Please note: BOOKING ESSENTIAL - we can't expect Simon and Sheila to cater for unknown numbers!

Booking form: http://www.btac-services.co.uk/rally...ing%20form.pdf

I'm booked in with our little caravan and a couple of meals are booked with Simon too, but he never mentioned anything about a BBQ. Do we need to bring anything for this Greg? Meat, other food types etc?

Do you think it would be OK to come see wthout booking if I am not part taking of victuals?
    I'm sure Simon and Sheila et al would not mind me turning up

I would be very interested in the various rigs that are possible.
    Bob

Of lofty towers we dream,
    And to their hieghts aspire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    Do you think it would be OK to come see wthout booking if I am not part taking of victuals?
    I'm sure Simon and Sheila et al would not mind me turning up
    You need book only if you are:

a) proposing to bring a caravan or trailer tent or campervan etc as we can't take more than 5 of those (and I think we've hit that limit)

b) you want us to feed you

Anyone in their own tent who is self-catering doesn't need to book but it might be nice if we knew you were coming.

You can download the booking form from http://www.btac-services.co.uk/activ...ndividuals.pdf

Cheers
    Simon

PS If the weather is nice we may well fire up the BBQ on Saturday night. Once we've cooked for the paying customers we might just leave it on for other people. Bring your own booze, we're not licensed.

Thanks Simon, you're a gent!
    Should I bring a BCS for the paths??? Sorry I missed the "Event" this year, change of valleys!

In that case I shall pop along for the day, Saturday or Sunday.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Steamerpoint View Post
    I'm booked in with our little caravan and a couple of meals are booked with Simon too, but he never mentioned anything about a BBQ.
    Those who have booked in for Saturday evening meal look like they're getting it cooked on a BBQ.

I see no real reason to turn it off once we've finished using it, so if self-caterers want to use it (once the paying customers have been satisfied ) then they can.

Simon

Default Barton Turf Meet

Hope to meet up with you on the Sunday. We are new to open canoe sailing so we are looking forward to see how it should be done.
    Mark and Cindy (Halesworth Suffolk)

The Broadly Norfolk meet is almost upon us

Cloud with sunny intervals has been forecast for today and tomorrow.. before summer returns with more conviction on Sunday: the wind is supposed to be swinging around from the north to the south and Sunday should be 4 degrees warmer!

Windspeeds: we're supposedly in for a 7-12 mph winds (force 3) for most of the weekend - ideal for a gentle sail!

The turnout looks set to be excellent: I've got 30+ on the list now... though not for the whole weekend. We've got a fair few paddlers coming to take a look, meet up and find out more... and should have a nice collection of craft out on the water.

Late arrivals welcome!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, I wish I could be there but unfortunately there's no way I could manage it.

Typical Friday....4.20 pm and I get an urgent call from a customer....now I'm working all day Sunday

Never mind, I get out for a local paddle tomorrow morning though.

Hope there's a good breeze for you all, over the weekend

Another time it will have to be

Have a good time all those who attend.

Davy.

Sorry to hear you can't make it Sunday: would have been great to see you again.

We're just about to settle to home-cooked fish, chips and peas... with 14 takers, up from a handful who had pre-booked

We're still anticipating a 30+ turnout... with most already here: should be a good weekend

Anyone wanting to call around over the weekend would be most welcome.

Hope you all have a great time. Looks like you might win the prize for best turnout for a local meet!
    Please say hello from Ann and myself - especially to all those we know.

Home, fed and watered, Thanks for a great day and making me feel very welcome.
    Some excellent rigs and boats, mouth watering

Thanks again.
    Bob

What a great weekend! My thanks go to Simon and Sheila for making it all possible, and for being such great hosts... and to the 30+ who turned out to enjoy what ended up being a hugely successful meet.

We had visitors from Suffolk Open Canoe Group, the Home Built Boat Rally and Song of the Paddle, and I believe 15 canoes sporting sailing rigs, a topper, a Goat Island Sklff, and four other open canoes were out at one time or another. The more intrepid adventurers explored the rivers north and south of the Broad, and wildlife sightings included a bittern, marsh harriers, a grass snake and an otter.

Full blog to follow...