Thread: Welsh Sustainability debate

Default Welsh Sustainability debate

This is one of the debates during the Welsh Sustainability Committees research into rivers access. Looks like Alun Davies MP pretty much had the Environment Agency stumped with his straight question about the nonsense of having so called legal frameworks in place while being completely impractical to enforce.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/...00/8267251.stm

They always get confused....But they are still in place with there confused stance stopping responsible access as only they can.

Ask them how much access they have gained in two years...... 0 is a interesting reply for them.....

Once again listening to that debate it seems like the word "access" means that different people are talking about different things, so the debate becomes muddied. Many of them seem to think it is about trampling over private land to get to the river.

Ask them how much access they have gained in two years...... 0 is a interesting reply for them.....
    Yes, that's a question I would love to ask. Along with all the myriad of other questions about access agreements that they seem totally unwilling to confront without blustering a load of hot air.

The go on about wanting to facilitate access but when we say go on then get us access to all rivers they just clam up. Even when asked what they have done in the past two years the just twiddle there thumbs...

We need more people to write to them pointing out there remit and what they keep promising but failing to deliver.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of the coventy council case as well later this month. Brought by the Welsh EA who also seem to have conflicting views on 'access'

Going on that video it certainly looks like Alun Davies would be a good ally. He states in no uncertain terms that he thinks what the EA said wasn't based in reality.

I've been watching the debates more. One particularly funny bit was when the main landowner from Sennibridge to Brecon commented that the Wye and Usk agreement was made behind his back without his agreement!

Overall though, given the evidence that was presented, I cannot believe that they came to the conclusions that they did. It has been debated quite a bit, but this is the first time I have watched the debates in full.

Made me wonder about the interest in the committee when I first watched them. Guess the fisherfolk on the committee......

Didn't the guy leading the committee (who seemed to actually have a good grasp of the situation) get kicked out a couple of weeks before the end due to some dodgy dealings in his personal life? Or am I mis-remembering things?

It was Mick Bates I was thinking of and this was what he got booted off the committee for before it finished. He was chair of the sustainability committee until that point and had given the EA and others very tough questions about the viability of access agreements.

I don't know who or what (a bot?) morrisonhershfieldone is, but there have been a couple of forums where exactly the same sort of useless statements have been made. One for the mods to investigate I think.