Thread: Doc saying Hello.

Default Doc saying Hello.

Hi all. I know many of you from Bushcraft UK, but this is my first post on SotP. My real name is Pete but I'm often called Doc off forum - I don't mind.

I work as a GP and with a wife (Janie) and three small sons I don't get as much time canoeing as I'd like. John and Sandbender got me hooked by taking me paddling on Loch Achray; I then went on a days skill session with Beyond Adventure on Loch Tay. After practising strokes on the river we then paddled 5 miles down the River Tay to Aberfeldy, including the 'easy grade 2' rapids at Chinese Bridge.

I currently have John's Coleman on loan and am looking to buy my own canoe. Not an easy decision. I had been thinking on the lines of the 16ft Mad River explorer TT Teton but at 36kg+ it is heavier than the Coleman and I struggle a bit getting that on and off the jeep unaided. So I may go for something shorter and/or made of Royalex.

Hi Pete

You will find that Royalex makes a big difference both to portage weight and handling.

See you on a river soon

'On' being the key concept there, Andrew. Did have the odd intrepid moment on Loch Lomond at the weekend when it got a bit windy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    'On' being the key concept there, Andrew. Did have the odd intrepid moment on Loch Lomond at the weekend when it got a bit windy.
    Would you believe some doubting Thomas did not think we could get off the beach. tsk tsk Anyway some excitement was had an everyone stayed dry so a good day was had by all.

After the day out I can imagine that the 14 foot Old Town Osprey must be aproaching the top of Doc's list.

Anyway, Welcome Doc. make yourself at home.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    and I struggle a bit getting that on and off the jeep unaided
    Yeah I've almost gone paragliding with my canoe too...

Hi Doc

You can't go wrong with the mad river IMO. Well made solid boats that "do what they say on the label".

George

Thanks guys.
    Must admit I thought we'd be driving or swimming home at one point. However John knows his Coleman and with a bit of vigorous paddling it got us of the shore ok.

The 14ft Osprey is indeed a very nice boat, and appeared very capable, looks rather good, has the 3 seat option, stable for fishing and good and light.

I'm increasingly resigned to paying a bit more for a lighter boat, and suspect it will be used far more solo or tandem rather than as a family 'people carrier'. So current front runners are the Osprey, the 15ft Royalex Mad River Explorer, and the Nova Craft Bob Special. The latter is perhaps a bit too heavily biased to solo use, but is a very light 23kg. A lot of informed opinion favours the Mad River, although it is the most expensive of the three.