Thread: River Dee Vandalism

Default River Dee Vandalism

Serpent slasher strikes again!!
    by marbles on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi all, sorry to report bad news but on tuesday 14th june myself and some friends went for our usual tuesday paddle on the dee from horseshoe falls down to town.
    On returning to collect the van from the top carpark by the toilets, we were greeted by the still violent hisssssssss 0f 3 slashed tyres deflating . One tyre being unfortunate, two tyres a bit of a coincidence, but three only installs a flavour of fowl play. Especialy due to the multiple stab wounds in each tyre wall.Rendering us well and truley in deep nappy pap. Upon a plenty of winjing and bitching at mile end I have now found out that this is by no means a random act, infact we are just a.n.other victim of the infamous SERPENT SLASHER. Whom is/are apparently known to have made many such strikes, Our sauces at the moment only cover the rain chasing community and we are unaware of any non aquabatic attacks but this line of enquiry is by no means ruled out. When reporting the innidin and informing them of the details and reports of other such attacks to the local headlice station, they were only to keen to give me a CRIME number and reassure they will look in to the matter.(the details from which have now been filed under piffle/popycock). I must urge other victims to contact the local heddlu as to make the problem known, and recive the proper anti venum. So just be careful where you leave your belongings when visiting the area, to avoid disappointment, dismay and unplanned expense.
    marbles
    Taken from UKRGB here

Some would have us believe that access is not an issue. Attacks like this occur when access is disputed and resentment is allowed to fester.

A clear right of navigation and good communication with other river users should eventually make these acts of intimidation a thing of the past. Not everyone will accept that they must share natural resources and will still behave irresponsibly.

If you experience any abuse or intimidation whilst paddling please contact the police and insist its logged as a crime and report it on here so we can build evidence that these sort of incidents are occurring.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    If you experience any abuse or intimidation whilst paddling please contact the police and insist its logged as a crime and report it on here so we can build evidence that these sort of incidents are occurring.
    And report it on the Access Map by selecting the river from the list (http://access.canoedaysout.com/list), clicking on the "Report an incident" link and completing an Incident Report.
    Keith

Such a shame when this happens....makes me sick!

Not sure it's just an access issue as this type of person / people will do mindless acts all over the place. It won't be their first time and it won't be their last. Any old excuse is probably good enough for them to do that vandalism...access issue is just a reason for them on that day - I dare say the following day they damaged a car in a shopping car park just because it was red!
    --
    Andy

I believe these attacks are deliberately aimed at paddlers vehicles.
    I've heard that some people remove roofracks and leave a copy of the Angling Times on the dashboard to camouflage the vehicle!
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

I had the wheel nuts loosened on my Landrover while parked by the Spey put-in at Aviemore. Just one wheel - front near-side. Loosened, not removed. The perp was presumably looking to cause a nasty accident. I wonder now whether this was also an anti-canoe act as well.

The police were also not exactly helpful, first insisting that the nuts had come loose by themselves, and then suggesting I should check them anyway before each journey. Needless to say the wheels don't fall off my cars by themselves on a regular basis. I think it is only a matter of time before actions of this kind cause a fatal accident.
    Last edited by Perthshire Wood Canvas; 1st-August-2011 at 03:20 PM.
    PWC

I reckon angling stickers for the car are a good idea. Im going to research them!
    PWC

Quote Originally Posted by Perthshire Wood Canvas View Post
    I reckon angling stickers for the car are a good idea. Im going to research them!
    A cheap 2nd hand fishing rod from ebay would be a lot more convincing on the back seat along with a selection of "fishy" type stickers on the back window such as "fisherman do it in wellies" etc if you think it is a real issue of parking (which it sounds as though it is).

Being a canoeist and fisherman I tend to have both canoe related stuff and fishing related stuff on view. The roof bars can often be a give away but put a rod on the back seat and the roof bars will be ignored.
    --
    Andy

How about a set of those sucker things for sticking rods on the bonnet of your car?
    PWC

How about a selection of the discarded floats etc that we regularly recover on our paddles.
    Keith

Has anybody confirmed that its nasty fishermen who are committing these acts of vandalism? Could it just not be a group of little or not so little aholes with nothing better to do than attack an easy target?

Just dont jump to conclusions.

Until someone gets the idiots caught on camera doing it or witnessing it we don't know but it seems unusal to have paddlers cars attacked and fishermens cars (with stickers and gear on them) left alone.

Maybe a discreet camera up a tree one day to see what is going on.

Considering the history of the access issues on this stretch of river, I think it would be naive to think it was not carried out by angling suporters. As Quicky says, you are likely to find it is only cars which are obviously paddlers' which are targeted.

Default Cars at Serpent's on the Dee

This has been going on over many years. As far as I am aware only to paddler's cars and it can be paintwork scored or tires punctured. For this reason I never leave my vehicle in that area. I park back towards Llangollen and paddle up on the canal.

And yes I am in no doubt that it is someone within the fishing community the question is whether it is something they boast to their mates about or keep it to themselves.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

Wow, this island is getting a bit small, eh?
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

I think the police should be badgered about this.
    If the access situation on the Dee and this sort of behaviour is having a detrimental effect on local businesses then CCTV to protect the area or even a target car fitted with cameras to try and catch the nincompoop/s would be worth considering.
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

Police have been contacted on many occasions. Unfortunately is it not high on the prioriyt list. Might be if someone was ever caught in the act and the media were involved...

The police have released a video of someone keying cars in Cumbria I think to see if anyone can recognise the idiot. Maybe a car cam is needed here.

A car camera is definitely needed. Though talk like this on forums may spook the culprit/s for a while. Needs a concerted effort to catch him in the act from local paddlers who can be there regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
    A car camera is definitely needed. Though talk like this on forums may spook the culprit/s for a while. Needs a concerted effort to catch him in the act from local paddlers who can be there regularly.
    Brave thing to do, put your car with or without a camera in possible / probable harms way....insurance may cover it but you have no claims issues to think about let alone the hassle of being there potentially with a car that you can't drive home.

It's the sort of thing the police ought to do...plant a camera'd up car there but then you have the issue of when and how likely is it to happen when the car is placed.
    --
    Andy

Just put a note on the car saying it is under covert 24hr video surveillance
    PWC

Could just get a cheap car from an auction. Though at the very least people need to get these incidents not just logged at the Plod, but also logged somewhere we can access (such as the rivers map!) If the Police still aren't interested then the local papers will be. Especially if there are a high number of logged incidents and it is clear that the Police aren't bothered to do anything about it. That would soon give them a kick up the arse.

Perhaps start a seperate sticky thread and ask around to get people who have actually suffered from vandalism there to post. Would it be legit to do a search both here and at UKRGB for threads where people have had issues and get them logged on the rivers map ourselves if others can't be bothered to do so?

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...dalism#p575372

by marbles

Hi all, sorry to report bad news but on tuesday 14th june myself and some friends went for our usual tuesday paddle on the dee from horseshoe falls down to town.
    On returning to collect the van from the top carpark by the toilets, we were greeted by the still violent hisssssssss 0f 3 slashed tyres deflating . One tyre being unfortunate, two tyres a bit of a coincidence, but three only installs a flavour of fowl play. Especialy due to the multiple stab wounds in each tyre wall.Rendering us well and truley in deep nappy pap. Upon a plenty of winjing and bitching at mile end I have now found out that this is by no means a random act, infact we are just a.n.other victim of the infamous SERPENT SLASHER. Whom is/are apparently known to have made many such strikes, Our sauces at the moment only cover the rain chasing community and we are unaware of any non aquabatic attacks but this line of enquiry is by no means ruled out. When reporting the innidin and informing them of the details and reports of other such attacks to the local headlice station, they were only to keen to give me a CRIME number and reassure they will look in to the matter.(the details from which have now been filed under piffle/popycock). I must urge other victims to contact the local heddlu as to make the problem known, and recive the proper anti venum. So just be careful where you leave your belongings when visiting the area, to avoid disappointment, dismay and unplanned expense.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...dalism#p544947

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/f...=tyres#p570878

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
    Would it be legit to do a search both here and at UKRGB for threads where people have had issues and get them logged on the rivers map ourselves if others can't be bothered to do so?
    It's obviously best to get reports direct from those that experience incidents of vandalism etc. But if there is a first hand report posted elsewhere I think it's very fair to post an incident report on the map linking to the first hand report.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicky
    Already on the map - http://access.canoedaysout.com/map/showonly/34 Click on the yellow pin for details.
    Keith