Thread: Fenland paddles

Default Fenland paddles

Hi,

i have recently got a tango 300 inflatable and been out 3 times on the glos canal.
    It came with 2x kayack ally/plastic paddles that can be split for canoe paddling. my wife (sits up front) prefers the kayak style while i like the single paddle. I have been splashing about trying a few stokes out (j stroke to avoide soaking my wife when changing sides).
    I found a site http://www.fenland-paddles.co.uk/home he makes wooden paddles to your own spec. i have ordered an ottertail in ceder at 45 & 5ish for p&p. (he does ash/oak/mahogany 35) i asked about walnut as i love the chocolate brown wood effect but that came in at 80. He mainly uses laminated construction but will make from one piece of wood. from looking on the net this seems amazingly cheep for a hand made paddle.(i looked at http://www.edenwoodpaddles.co.uk but they look too good and costly for a novice like me.) Has anyone had experience of these paddles as i have nothing to compare it too.(apart from said plastic jobby). At 45 i thought i would have a punt.
    any thoughts welcome.

Thumbs up Worth the punt.

I had been wondering about these for a while, my only paddles that I had had a go with were an Ainsworth 100C and a plank I picked up for 15 . Got on to Ebay and got:

Ottertail paddle made up from ash oak and mahogany.

Length Overall: 160cm
    Blade Length: 69cm
    Blade Width: 14cm
    Weight: 1.26kg

First thing that I noticed is that it is heavier than I expected. I'm not sure whether this weight is typical for this design - maybe others can comment. The next thing is that the blade on the paddle is completely flat with no profile to it at all - again, not sure, but shouldn't it have some curved profile in section?

However, it has a nice flex - quite soft, and on my first play with it I got on fine. Slices through the water nicely. I had a good time playing with Dr Joe's D stroke. When I put some real power on the stroke (or at least as much as my technique will allow) I didn't get any flutter at all on the stroke.

I knew when I was getting the paddle that it was finished with yacht varnish which made me wonder about the comments I have seen that varnished paddles give rise to blisters more quickly. Turns out the comments were right - I'll either have to toughen up or paddle with gloves.

It's not the work of art that some, such as the Edenwood paddles are, but since I got it for 36 including P&P I can enjoy it and not be too worried it either.

it looks like a descent blade to me , if the vaqrnish bothers you sanding is your friens (ask the builder what kind of glue he used. some can not stand water then you need to keep the varnish. if the paddle is thick enoug you can sand /shape some profile in there. it is a good pricen i guess

the weight seems to be a common feature to all the paddles they sell.

Default Fenland paddles Mike kempster ???

Quote Originally Posted by paddledaddy View Post
    Hi,

i have recently got a tango 300 inflatable and been out 3 times on the glos canal.
    It came with 2x kayack ally/plastic paddles that can be split for canoe paddling. my wife (sits up front) prefers the kayak style while i like the single paddle. I have been splashing about trying a few stokes out (j stroke to avoide soaking my wife when changing sides).
    I found a site http://www.fenland-paddles.co.uk/home he makes wooden paddles to your own spec. i have ordered an ottertail in ceder at 45 & 5ish for p&p. (he does ash/oak/mahogany 35) i asked about walnut as i love the chocolate brown wood effect but that came in at 80. He mainly uses laminated construction but will make from one piece of wood. from looking on the net this seems amazingly cheep for a hand made paddle.(i looked at http://www.edenwoodpaddles.co.uk but they look too good and costly for a novice like me.) Has anyone had experience of these paddles as i have nothing to compare it too.(apart from said plastic jobby). At 45 i thought i would have a punt.
    any thoughts welcome.
    Hi
    I am trying to track down Mike Kempster as I am interested in possibly buying his paddles to go with my wood strip canoes.The website link seems to direct you to a google website making page(dead end).I have seen info and pictures on wordsmith directing you to the website for paddle info but do not seem to be able to find an email address or phone number.
    Any idea how I can get in contact?Did you buy paddles from him?
    Many Thanks
    Alick Burt

Default looks like the maker ran out of time and didn't finish shaping it!

Quote Originally Posted by SandfordSailor View Post
    I had been wondering about these for a while, my only paddles that I had had a go with were an Ainsworth 100C and a plank I picked up for 15 . Got on to Ebay and got:

Ottertail paddle made up from ash oak and mahogany.

Length Overall: 160cm
    Blade Length: 69cm
    Blade Width: 14cm
    Weight: 1.26kg

First thing that I noticed is that it is heavier than I expected. I'm not sure whether this weight is typical for this design - maybe others can comment. The next thing is that the blade on the paddle is completely flat with no profile to it at all - again, not sure, but shouldn't it have some curved profile in section?

However, it has a nice flex - quite soft, and on my first play with it I got on fine. Slices through the water nicely. I had a good time playing with Dr Joe's D stroke. When I put some real power on the stroke (or at least as much as my technique will allow) I didn't get any flutter at all on the stroke.

I knew when I was getting the paddle that it was finished with yacht varnish which made me wonder about the comments I have seen that varnished paddles give rise to blisters more quickly. Turns out the comments were right - I'll either have to toughen up or paddle with gloves.

It's not the work of art that some, such as the Edenwood paddles are, but since I got it for 36 including P&P I can enjoy it and not be too worried it either.
    Yes, It looks like they just haven't quite finished shaving it down to thin out the blade edges and shape the spine but at that price its still a snip and you can always finish it yourself if it gets too heavy.I have a similar paddle that I have done this too and it is very light even after a long days paddling.
    Cheers Alick