Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kneeling Saddle Review

Chamelon,

I'd buy it for 40 if you could post it?

Adrian

You can just about see my kneeling saddle in use on the Spey in this photo - you can't tell that I cut quite a big chunk out of the back so it would slide partly under the seat, but it does, honest!

How hard can it be?

Just a quick update to my post on this thread,

I've had my Stingray Saddle for over a year now. (In fact I own two of them now.)

I have a habit of buying canoes, trying them out, and selling them on. I compare two similar makes and models, then keep the one I like best. As a result I can have as many as six canoes in my garage at one time. (currently only 4)
    However, using the same kneeling saddle and paddles gives me a constant in order to compare each boat.

So I'm well placed to comment on these saddles.

Firstly I will say that I dont like the kneeling mat when it is attached at right angles to the body. I use knee pads. I find that whilst the kneeling pad is an excellent grip on the inside of the canoe, this then stops me from being able to move the whole thing easily. You must take the weight off your knees to move it, thus needing your hands on the gunnels as you move it with your legs to adjust trim.

I keep the mat under the body, much like the position its in when it is delivered to you. Then I can put one knee over to one side, and then drag the whole thing over with the other. Or if I need to go forward or back, I raise my bum up off it, slide it to the new place and shuffle over to sit on it. Most of these manoeuvers can be done whilst still paddling, a real bonus in whitewater.

I have the saddle tied in with a short leash. Long enough so that I can chuck it forward out of the way to leave a nice large area to stand in when poling.

I really dont see me going back to kneeling thwarts now. I fact I'm even considering removing the seat from a couple of my solo single seat canoes as I don't see me ever using them.

As to why I own two of them?
    One came up for sale last year at a good price. I was going to France to paddle with MarL in his new canoes. So I bought it and had it shipped to France so I could use it over there. It will be there for when I go back.

That's how much I prefer using them.
    Big Al.

Only when the last tree has died
    and the last river been poisoned
    and the last fish been caught
    will we realise we cannot eat money.
    ~Cree Indian Proverb

Hopefully.............?????? If I can persuade someone to post it to me at my expense, I might have found a second hand one????????? We'll see....

Laurence. I have sent you the photos but gmail reports a problem with delivery. Seems you might not need them, but I don't want you to th9ink I have given up.

Impcanoe, that is indeed most kind, thank you: I'm just hoping I hear back re the above!!

Laurence. This may sound ridiculous but you might consider the great paddler network. I have received boats I've bought, carried at no expense to me to places convenient to me. I have collected other's boats and gear, and delivered to their new owners, and I have collected boats I don't own, from someone who doesn't own them and delivered them to someone who isn't going to own them. All at no expense to the potential new owner. Certainly worth a punt

Wow, that could be good...but I don't know how the vendor would go for it, he seems to be baulking at just phoning a courier.....Hermes is only about a fiver.

But lets not pre empt anything?

Update, Bren and Adrian thank you for your intersest Stingray now sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al. View Post
    Firstly I will say that I dont like the kneeling mat when it is attached at right angles to the body. I use knee pads. I find that whilst the kneeling pad is an excellent grip on the inside of the canoe, this then stops me from being able to move the whole thing easily. You must take the weight off your knees to move it, thus needing your hands on the gunnels as you move it with your legs to adjust trim.
    I have to admit I was wondering if that might be an issue - my saddle came from a boat with separate (fixed) knee cups, and my Apache has a layer of foam glued to the inside over the middle portion so I can kneel anywhere, the saddle is therefore not restrained by pads and I'm sure I do drag it slightly to my paddling side in use too.

How hard can it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    Update, Bren and Adrian thank you for your intersest Stingray now sold.
    Wish I had cottoned on!!

Impcanoe: think I may have got one 2nd hand...………….

Sorry Laurence. Had the email with photos rejected, and then, in retribution was hit by a serious cough flu cold thingy. First day out today. I assume it not a Palm you managed to get. so hope it comes through

Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12