Thread: British waterways charity

Default British waterways charity

The interim board for the new waterways charity has just been announced.
    http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/ne...isplay/id/3101

Unfortunately there is no one on it with small boat / paddling background but equally there is no one from a fishing background

Thanks for posting that. I think it will be very interesting to see where this charity goes and what noises it makes over the next few months
    --
    Andy

Looks like a good range of expertise for a charity.

Interesting to have a Rambler, Tom Franklin, on the board since the Ramblers are very keen on access rights.
    I note that it says he is also on the Independent Panel on the future direction of forestry and woodland policy in England. Another area that has had access issues recently.

Ramblers are very keen on access rights
    Keen on access rights but did not support the access campaign when asked to after CE supported there right to roam bids....

Default ramblers

Ramblers in wales have made it clear they are not willing to support the rivers access campaign.

Default Why no support?

Did they say why they wouldn't support access to water?

Do we know of their board asked the membership on this? If not, could someone who is a paddler and a member of the ramblers write a letter to their association magazine?

I have had quite a lot of contact with The Ramblers since our campaign here started. I have received nothing but encouragement and support from them. They have offered helpful advice on some of the initiatives we have started here.

They have their own agenda,of course, but we can learn a lot from them. They are and will be a valuable ally, but we need to do this ourselves. It is amazing how helpful people can be if you approach them directly. It would be counter productive to rake over issues from the past. This will cause unnecessary conflict and turn off access to them.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father