Thread: maintaining Cedar strip

Default maintaining Cedar strip

Just thought i'd ask the question what are the down falls of a cedar canvas canoe if any, just thought i may own one in the future do they need alot of maintaining?
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Journal Entries

If you store them inside, and oil or varnish everything when required, they should last a lifetime. They are a bit more fragile than modern plastic canoes but will still take a beating and are easier to repair and work on. They do soak up water over a season and tend to gain some weight too.

I wouldn't buy one for white water but they are tougher than you might think.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 8th-February-2007 at 12:54 AM.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

[quote=WhyAyeMan;29908]The do soak up water over a season and tend to gain some weight too.

I Know that feeling!!
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Depends what kind of shape you get it in too...if it's second hand, check for signs of rotting, broken planks, cracks in the paint on the canvas. many of these canoes, if left alone outside will often start to rot from the stems and deck inward.

If it's new and you store it inside, treat it well, maintenance will be minimal...as mentioned previously, oil or varnish when needed.

Thanks people about what i expected not to much trouble then.

Well - they are the best thing to paddle no doubt - they also have a sort of 'naturalness' to them - harmony with your surrounding... I digress...

You must store them so they can breath and dry out - I'm now into the throws of recanvassing due to water hld under the gunnels rotting the canvas...

Scrapes can be filled and painted - even a cracked rib repaired - I have a royalex canoe with a hole in the bottom now - that no doubt could be patched but it would never be as good as new whereas with patience and care a cedar canvas could be. I don't know where you are located - if you are in North America you can get a boat for about the price you would pay for a plastic one in the UK.