Thread: The big adventure

Default The big adventure

So there was an expanse of water, waves toppong white, no outriggers. Boat bucking, leaning of the gunwales. Near to capsize, I managed to circumnavigate Pugney's Water Park, by the skin of my teeth I didn't capsize. Lots of dinghys did (although the sailors were about 12!)

So I had an adventure.....what are peoples big adventures? What do people look at and think "wow that would be exciting"? I have spent many years climbing and would look at a mountain, route etc and the thought would get my palms sweating.

Good to hear that you survived your first Adventure in challenging conditions. Pugneys is a good safe place to go out and try your rig in such conditions and hopefully the rescue boat would be on hand if you got it wrong.
    Have you practiced self rescue yet. Paddlers often put this off thinking that capsize is unlikely or that they only paddle near to the shore and can swim to the edge. With a sailing rig you are more likely to be in the middle of the lake, where the wind is stronger and the waves larger, and that is the place where you are most likely to go in.

Don't let those 12 year olds intimidate you! If you're as old as some of us it's easy to be put off showing your real skills in front of them....boy can they laugh when you make a fool of yourself

Pleased to see your sailing efforts were successful. I'm about to purchase a Solway Dory Expedition Rig and have a go myself.

As far as self rescue goes I must confess I haven't done it yet - keep meaning to but will wait for slightly warmer weather but I also think it is a must with a sailing rig....it'll also answer the questions people have about buoyancy aids and float blocks or air bags.

If you have any pics of the sailing attempt I'd be interested in seeing them.

As far as an adventure goes I intend (may never happen unless I find a canoe buddy with a week or 2 to spare to come along) to sail / canoe, and use a trolling motor, across the Wash (sticking to the very edge!) then all the way down the ouse to Bedford / kempston or further wild camping all the way....or alternatively up the witham, fossdyke, trent then down the grand union to MK and by the time I get around to it they may have joined the MK canal to Bedford (its underway). That type of adventure using all means possible in a canoe and taking as long as it takes would be my idea of a big adventure....I basically drive down to the bedford area often so often think about doing it by canoe to see if its possible and how long it would take.
    --
    Andy

My big adventure target at the moment is to do the Loch Shiel circuit. I've read so many accounts of the trip and it always looks a little bit special. The exposed sea section round to Glenuig with no escape routes adds to the spice. Hopefully I'll do it some time this year.

Loch Shiel Circuit brill, I paddled Loch shiel last year next time sail.....those SD exped rigs have a lot to answer for at least thats what my wife says...Wash! sounds like an adventure.

I'm turning my 17 Penobscott into an adventure vessel when I get a picture I'll post it but for now imagine....

home made green outrigger supported by 2 lenghts of 3 meter bamboo lashed on. Home made front and end boyancy incorporating storage. Home made lee board and rudder. 2 sails ( get my next one soon)

All I need to do now is to learn to sail and I'm sure I can get myself into real trouble!

Dave, Self rescue....tried this in Coiston in March....no wetsuit or drysuit...not a good idea. learnt a lot though. I have practiced this previously in a normal canoe.

I have since bought a second hand dry suit....50 for a 11mm diving suit! this is ace but who would design a suit that is impossible to get in alone and impossible to relieve oneself.

Quote Originally Posted by skeathy View Post
    who would design a suit that is impossible to get in alone and impossible to relieve oneself.
    Try getting a length of cord or webbing (about a metre long), put a loop in each end, attach a cheapo carabiner to each loop. When you want to get in/out your suit clip one carabiner to the loop on your dryzip, the other end to a tree, your roofbars or something similar and you should be able to zip yourself in and out fine . Carry the strap thing with you and you're sorted (that's what I do anyway). Lubing the dryzip with bees wax or silicon zip lube (available from most chandlers and some camping shops) helps the zip run easily and makes things more simple too.

Jurassic, that is fantastic advice thanks, now I can give up on the idea of a shewee and length of home brew plastic pipe!

Quote Originally Posted by skeathy View Post
    now I can give up on the idea of a shewee and length of home brew plastic pipe!