Thread: On-Line ePetition to 10 Downing Street ... just an idea

Default On-Line ePetition to 10 Downing Street ... just an idea

Hi

I can't write to my MP as I live out of the country but was thinking about possible other courses of action to force some further debate at least in the UK/Wales powers that be. To that end, I have a suggestion :- how about organising and submitting an online petition highlighting the research, issues and diferences between DEFRA and other departments via the following mechanism -

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk

The petition stays open for one year I we wish it to and I was particularly interested in the following statement :-

"In line with the commitments in the Programme for Government published in May 2010, e-petitions that receive 100,000 signatures or more will be eligible for debate in Parliament".

Surely there are 100K paddlers out there somewhere ?

Anyway, it is just an idea but hopefully a positve one.

PS Who wants to volunteer to try and word it ? NOT ME

Keep the faith

This is a really good idea Mark.

I think we need to clarify what we mean by access.
    Do we mean the right to paddle along a river, which seems quite reasonable to me? Do these people think they own the water that flows through their land?
    Or do we mean the right to access the river from private land? This seems somewhat more contentious and much more difficult to achieve.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Hi

I can't write to my MP as I live out of the country but was thinking about possible other courses of action to force some further debate at least in the UK/Wales powers that be. To that end, I have a suggestion :- how about organising and submitting an online petition highlighting the research, issues and diferences between DEFRA and other departments via the following mechanism -

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk

The petition stays open for one year I we wish it to and I was particularly interested in the following statement :-

"In line with the commitments in the Programme for Government published in May 2010, e-petitions that receive 100,000 signatures or more will be eligible for debate in Parliament".

Surely there are 100K paddlers out there somewhere ?

Anyway, it is just an idea but hopefully a positve one.

PS Who wants to volunteer to try and word it ? NOT ME

Keep the faith
    Such a good idea that I've forwarded it to the rivers access campaign at the BCU. Hope you don't mind
    Sam

Default For what its worth

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Burton View Post
    This is a really good idea Mark.

I think we need to clarify what we mean by access.
    Do we mean the right to paddle along a river, which seems quite reasonable to me? Do these people think they own the water that flows through their land?
    Or do we mean the right to access the river from private land? This seems somewhat more contentious and much more difficult to achieve.
    Tony

My view would be ... The right to paddle along rivers where land access is gained from public land or "private land by agreement".

Sam - No worries :- just please someone else likes the idea.

What do you mean you can't write to your MP?

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from writing to any MP in this country or for that matter any other representative of a government!!!
    http://www.davidwperry.blogspot.co.uk/

Sorry to say that this was tried back in 2007 (when Facebook was a "trendy student thing"). The BCU got all excited when they reached 1950 votes, but ultimately the number of signatories was a tiny proportion of the number of paddlers in the UK, and the e-petition got the usual brush off from No.10 (see here).

Whilst protest has evolved from mass marches to mass on-line comment, the only thing that has ever made a difference is resistance, so just get out and paddle it (or do like MarkL and move overseas; remind me why I came back ).

It is a good idea, but I think I have put my name on at least 3 on these over the last 5 or so years, and they didn't get a huge response. Some were even linked to Early Day Motions (EDM) been raised in the House of Commons about the issue.

It would need to be VERY well organised, and VERY well publicised to get anything like the amount of signatures for it to be taken notice of. The last one (2 years ago?) was well publicised in the paddling press and on various websites (here, UKRGB etc) but didn't actually get that many signatures. I seem to be remember that some compeltely random (to me anyway) cause at the time got a lot more.

Saying that, this Government seems to talk the talk when it does to listening to 'communities', so maybe it is worth a go again. I'd definitely sign one if there was one.

It was tried before and we had information straight from the horses (mp's) mouth that they are ignored. (they are just something to allow the 'public' to feel like they have a voice according to the said MP who was very close to the top back then).

It's a great tool if, like others have said, the numbers of supporters sign the petition. However at present e-petitions are offline whilst the service is transferred to the direct.gov.uk site. I looked at this last week with the intention of wording and beginning a petition, and trying to advertise it as best I could. Until the e-petition service is back online it isn't an option unfortunately

Given the commitment of all interested parties, particularly water users and landowners, this managed and targeted approach should, over time, result in a significant increase in the amount of inland water accessible to all water users.
    40 years long enough?

Lets not be negatory Big Ben!!! Try and try again. It is up to us to make it work. Get all our friends to sign it. I signed one for the forests amongst others and it seems to have worked then.
    Bob

We have had petitions in the past that have failed to get any significant numbers of signatures. Rather than reinvent the wheel why not concentrate on what we already have - the 38 degrees campaign. And while you are at it a letter to your MP wont do any harm.

38 degrees were a key part of the government change of heart regarding the forests. At the moment they are preoccupied with the Save the NHS campaign but as that progresses they will be looking for their next campaign. If we concentrate on lobbying support for the 38 degrees proposal (which is wide enough to gather support from swimmers, ramblers etc, we can build on good work already done rather than start again from scratch.

Don't forget you have up to three votes for each proposal on 38 degrees so make sure that you lobby for the use of all 3 votes for Access Rights in England.
    Keith