Thread: Howard Rice's Sylph sailing canoe

Default Howard Rice's Sylph sailing canoe

Thought you guys might enjoy perusing some photos of Howard Rice's sailing canoe. If I remember correctly the hull is a Bell Starfire, with a custom cedar deck.

Last edited by Chainsaw; 12th-May-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Most impressive. One has to wonder though; when is a canoe is no longer a canoe but a yacht.

What a stunning sailing canoe: I would LOVE to sail that boat!!!

Paul Meyer of Colden Canoe now makes the Starfire, and the Colden Canoe Facebook page hosts this photo of a vacuum infused (dry-bagged rather than wet-bagged) Colden Starfire that has recently been produced to be the basis of a new sailing canoe for the boat's designer, the legendary David Yost:

I believe that's the great man himself in the background... and would love to know how he plans to develop his sailing canoe!

ps. That hull design is the hottest ticket in town for tandem freestyle...

For comparison: Silke and Andreas are paddling a Bell Starfire in this shot...

...and here:

...and those who have a copy of Freestyle Canoeing: Contempary Paddling Technique may recognise this pairing putting the hull to equally good use....

The Starfire isn't a yacht: it's one of the greatest tandem-canoe designs of all time!

I'm not sure of the precise relationship... but I believe the Starfire is the composite equivalent of a more classically constructed Loonworks Duet. This is Bob and Elaine Mravetz showing how yacht-like the design is:

....and if that isn't convincing enough, here's Roy and Peg Ivy in a Loonworks Duet:

To my mind, adding a sail doesn't detract from what is quite clearly a stunning canoe design!

Thanks for posting this, keyhavenpotterer. I believe Sylph is related in some way to Hugh Horton's Bufflehead, is she not?
    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/...head/index.htm
    And thanks for the extra pictures, Greg.

A beautiful boat. The wood is lovely, but must add a fair bit to the weight. (But perhaps canoe sailors never need to portage their boats except on smooth roads.) I keep thinking I would like to obtain the advantage of a deck on my Apache without the weight penalty by making a canvas deck like my Klepper. It would have the further advantage that one could remove the deck when one wasn't sailing. Of course it would never compete with that wooden deck for beauty.

Lovely pictures. Thanks.
    Ian

Fabric decks have a fine pedigree. See discussion here. From that discussion, some contrasting photos....

Assirted SoTP discussions can be accessed viahere.

Ouch. These canoes are so beautiful I'm thinking mine is an ugly duckling now. But I'll never let her hear me say that!

I better start saving my pennies because I already want one of these lovely slick boats.

Here's a link to the West System web page which shows how the decks made.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/modern-...ailing-canoes/

The two Gougeon brothers, who produce West Epoxy, , Hugh Horton and Howard Rice have been developing 50/50 sailing canoes in the US. They were all based on hulls they bought which were the best available on the market. Bufflehead is Hugh's design which he commissioned as a pure sailing canoe design.

Axel in Switzerland has built a beautiful Bufflehead and is about to sail round Elba in his.

http://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/bufflehead_en.htm

and here is Hugh in his Bufflehead.

So the two great developers of modern sailing canoes are the US team and our own Solway Dory, who have been developing sailing canoe hull design for many years now and who's current designs are superb sailing canoes. I have owned their 14' open Curlew which I loved and now their decked Shearwater which is just a fantastic boat.

My apologies to Howard for spelling Sylph wrong in the header - I cannot change it now - or can I?

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 12th-May-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    My apologies to Howard for spelling Sylph wrong in the header - I cannot change it now - or can I?

Brian
    No but I can
    Cheers,

Alan

I like the look of that like a mini yacht, but I bet he can't do a bow jam in it

Given that he sailed and paddled a sailing canoe solo around Cape Horn (an expedition which gets mentioned here, there and everywhere: google it)... Howard Rice should perhaps need no introduction on this forum.

Anyone wanting a short introduction could look up his Wikipedia entry.

Sylph is getting rather more appreciation on the thread KeyhavenPotterer created on Wooden Boat forum.. and Howard Rice has been answering questions and providing all sorts of additional information (and more photographs): makes interesting reading!

One bit really caught my attention:

Quote Originally Posted by Howad Rice
    Sylph has two identical hand built carbon fiber 3 pc ovoid shaped unstayed masts with internal halyards and integral luff groove. Sylph can be rigged in several different configurations from cat rig to yawl. The 3 mast step locations are at the bow, at the forward end of the cockpit and just aft of the cockpit. Here booms are light wall aluminum with carbon over. I sail with a vang and traveler set up.

The all up weight with sliding decks, sail rig but no buoyancy bags, paddle, safety gear or anchor is about 70 pounds.
    Encouragingly, Sylph is currently (we're told) being shipped to the US for some sailing... after which the plan is apparently to ship her "to GB and from there sail on to visit Europe". No mention of giving talks to the Open Canoe Sailing Group or being the keynote speaker and star attraction at a Canoe Symposium... but perhaps the time has come for an invitation or two

Thanks for putting that link to the Wooden Boat forum on, Greg. It is really great to see someone pushing the limits of what can be done in a sailing canoe. It would be nice to see if we could meet up with Howard Rice when he makes it over to the UK

Howard's provisionally looking at 2012 for a trip to the UK.

I have suggested he just has to join the OCSG on their Scottish summer cruise.

Perhaps some lectures on building Sylph, sailing her and his Cape Horn trip?

Brian

Most interesting thread,Brian.Thanks for the pics and links you and Greg have posted.

Default Sylph traveling to England and then across to the Continent

Hello
    I am looking into shipping a sailing canoe to Great Britain in less than a year. I have longed to do some sailing in the British Isles and then crossing to Europe for many years and had for some time focused on purchasing a used dinghy such as a Heron, Mirror or Gull and sailing it in the isles and then on to Europe and selling it after a few adventures.

As it turns out the adventure seeking side of my life has taken a slight turn and a good one and my sailing canoe is currently on board a ship somewhere in the middle of the Pacific headed to the US after several years exploring the ocean and islands of Micronesia where I live. Sylph was almost shipped to Germany five years ago in a container with a Yapese sailing canoe that was going on an exhibition tour. I decided against sending Slyph along at the time because I had so little time aside from work.

I have a new canoe I am working on in the US and Sylph is set and ready for her next chapter after a brief stop and cruise stateside. I may ship her as early as next November-January if I can figure out a way to have her received and stored inside until I make the journey over in the spring.

I am willing to compensate someone (perhaps a kindred canoe sailor) to receive Sylph and make sure she gets into a safe rented storage spot. She will be on her own cradle and securely packaged. This model has worked out a few times most recently in an attempt I made to sail the Tibetan lake NamTso (the highest lake in the world with a surface area of more than 500 km2. I went for this in a Klepper Aerius 1. Kindred spirits seem to be everywhere and some even eat yak meat.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on where a person might rent a space to leave a sailing canoe on its own cradle and/or wheels. Perhaps at a small boat club or canoe club. I travel by yacht (pocket yacht) in a slightly different manner than most world cruising sailors. I ship my canoe and then fly in and out of an area a few times over a period of a year or so and each trip is a go at some sort of exploration sailing. Far less costly than owning and maintaining an ocean crossing capable cruising yacht. I don't have the time these days for weeks at sea.

Thanks for considering this rather strange request. I have just recently learned about this web site. It is quite interesting. I know I have not been specific as to where I would like to sail. This is because I am very open to many different areas and would of course decide before I ship.

Respectfully from a new member,
    howard

Hi Howard,
    We have a workshop and barn in the English Lake District where we make sailing canoes and would happily store your canoe in our barn for you free of charge. We would love to go out for a sail with you when you are over here and it would be great to meet another kindred spirit from over the pond. We usually go on an expedition up the west coast of Scotland each year and would love you to come along and join us if the timing works out.
    We have a website - http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/ where you can check us out.
    Regards
    Dave

Hello Dave
    Greetings from the far Pacific.
    I appreciate your response and am planning to contact you through the Solway Dory web site.
    Thank you for the thoughtful offer of assistance. I look forward to talking soon.
    Best,
    howard

Default An Update: Sylph traveling to England and then across to the Continent

Hello All
    My sailing canoe Sylph has finally made it to the US mainland after three months aboard ship crossing the Pacific. She was then impounded in Los Angeles by US customs/homeland security for a random inspection. She made it through the inspection. However I received an email from the shipping agent that said "Your canoe has been damaged"......gulp. I made a few long distance calls and received photos of what sounded more and more like a very bad situation. Alas she made it to the Great Lakes where she was received by a friend. No damage except for her cradle and packaging being torn open and not closed again. Thank you US customs. I was also charged for the inspection!

My summer state side looks like it is not going to happen due to work here in the islands of Micronesia so I am already thinking of shipping her on sooner than I thought to GB for some 2012 sailing and cruising. Hoping to connect up and meet some kindred canoe sailing spirits.

Thank you to the Solway Dory Dave's for their most kind offer to receive and watch over Sylph. I hope to be able to begin planning for sailing in GB and environs soon. As a man of equal Scotch and Welsh descent I have always looked forward to the opportunity to sail in the islands of my ancestors and in some small way harken back to the days in the late 1800's where canoe sailors from both the US and GB would cross the pond to sail together. I look forward to making plans and meeting new friends.

I looked over the discussion about folks crossing the Channel. I plan to work this into the travels I will plan and after reading so many accounts of small boats making the trip I believe it is possible to do so with forethought and planning thereby eliminating trouble on arrival. I look forward to the cruise.

In closing I will have a few weeks in September to begin the decking of my Bufflehead hull (she is one of the four original hulls we built and has been awaiting decking and rigging). My new canoe will be an evolutionary step sideways not necessarily up from Sylph, which for me is a very good canoe. She will like Sylph be purpose built for a certain type of sailing and open water cruising use. I am very happy with Sylph but after years of generally high wind open ocean sailing and a few relatively long exposed crossings here in the Pacific I have learned a great deal and what I have learned will go into the new canoe. The sleep aboard system, rig, deck type, buoyancy and other factors I am designing are for me an evolutionary step forward. There are many very subtle changes I will make that should produce a canoe I hope to consider my best attempt at creating a craft that is light, tough, safe, very fast and simple enough to make sailing a true pleasure.
    Best,
    howard

I look forward to hearing how you get on fitting out your new canoe. It is always interesting to see how other people balance all the compromises that go into making a great sailing canoe.

Hello dave
    I will gladly update folks here on how I am putting my new canoe together. You are right all boats are a bundle of compromises and my new canoe will be no different. This said after the miles I have put under Sylph's hull I have narrowed the compromises down to a very acceptable set that looks more like benefits or features as opposed to compromise.

FYI: big sigh of relief I just got off the phone with my friend who received Sylph and she is actually undamaged!! Big relief as I had all sorts of thoughts dancing around in my head after the shippers short message about damage. I will get back to her in september and plan to carefully look at how I will package her for shipping on to your part of the world. I am quite excited about the opportunity to meet British canoe sailors and do some sailing with you folks.
    Best,
    howard

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    ... The sleep aboard system, rig, deck type, buoyancy and other factors I am designing are for me an evolutionary step forward. There are many very subtle changes I will make that should produce a canoe I hope to consider my best attempt at creating a craft that is light, tough, safe, very fast and simple enough to make sailing a true pleasure. ...
    Dear Howard,

I for one would be very interested in the changes/add-ons you are designing for Bufflehead. Plans for Bufflehead are coming my way at some moment and I would love seeing/hearing/reading what you're going to change and/or add to them.

(in another thread on this forum we've just started playing around with the thought of a 4th Dutch SotP meeting at the end of April or early May 2012, so when that would fit into your plans, you'ld be quite welcome )

Regards,

Jaap

Jaap, if you are going to build a Bufflehead you may like to see these two web sites. One a Bufflehead build blog, and the other Axel, who is based in Switzerland and has pages on Bufflehead and building her.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.103059249728742.6900.100000740013771&l=fd3b c9143e

http://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/buff_technik_en.htm

Howard.
    I'm very interested in the Jib set up on the Sylph, some of the pictures suggest a rolling furling set up, is that home made? and I'd be interested to see detail on how the jib sheets are routed and made fast.

Regards
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by keyhavenpotterer View Post
    Jaap, if you are going to build a Bufflehead you may like to see these two web sites. One a Bufflehead build blog, and the other Axel, who is based in Switzerland and has pages on Bufflehead and building her. [snap]
    Thx for the links! Hugh had already emailed me the link to Axel's site, but I hadn't stumble across Stacy's blog. He has more interesting things going on besides the Bufflehead as well. Well worth keeping a eye on. Thx again.

Jaap

I've been firmly glued to Stacys progress on his Bufflehead for a while, really interesting detail, on what I gather is not a build for the novice. As everyone else I would also be interested in what innovations, changes you would make to your Bufflehead Howard, from reading various forum posts, Hugh enjoys sitting in his canoe, while you from the photos I've seen are the opposite, I seem to remember a comment about the Buffleheads rigging as well. Looking forward to your next post.

Stephen

Default My canoe Sylph, my new canoe and proposed travels to Great Britain

Hello All
    I have been out in the remote southern Caroline islands, Sapwafik, Nukuora and Kapingamarangi by inter island cargo ship, hence no email. I will catch up on answers hopefully this weekend. On another note I photographed sailing canoes on each island and plan to post a compilation here if anyone is interested. The Nukuoran sailing canoes are beautiful as in no other design I have seen to date, amazing.
    Thanks for waiting for my reply.
    Best to all,
    howard
    ps. I am making plans now for shipping Sylph to GB for a trip next spring. She made it safely back to the mainland US in spite of fear she had been damaged in transit. I look forward to the opportunity ala the heyday of the (late 1800's) great canoe sailing era gone by of crossing the pond and sailing with fellow canoe sailors in your part of the world and then setting off to Europe if all lines up well.

Hello together
    let me introduce myself:
    I built a Bufflehead sailing canoe on the shore of the Lake of Constance, Switzerland, in the last year. This year I sailed & rowed around Elba with that canoe. I am not allowed to post links, so, it's the page /elba.htm on my hompage.
    It's a german page, but maybe Google translator might give you an idea about the trip.

Some decades ago, I started dinghy sailing... commercially available boats. In my area, winds are infrequent and I decided some years later that I need a boat which sails and also rows well. Built a B&B Spindrift 11 N nesting dinghy to cover this need.
    The open boat was comfortable, but after a few years I wanted to explore the coast. A decked boat would be the answer, and a very light, very simple sailing rig to minimize hassle. Bufflehead has met all my expectations - yet.

The Bufflehead is a close relative to Sylph. My strategy is to leave out everything which is superflous and to keep the essential, to build easy but as light as possible. So, no foot steering for me and no tent, because Bufflehead is beached, carried over the shoulder and installed under a tarp quite easily. Spray boards proved to be very helpful. Up to 2.5 Bft. I think we all lounge in our very comfortable cockpit seat, but then, climb on the gunwhale or reef - it is your choice.

At the moment, I cannot think about any features I would need... i.e. to make cruising so comfortable or fast that I would build and install them despite their weight. Howard, you are sailing canoes much longer than I and you have already made much longer voyages. If you have some ideas, it would be fascinating if you write about that. I would listen to them very carefully and I might try them out.

Yours, Axel

Hi Axel,
    Nice to find you on here. I occasionally read your pages on the Bufflehead canoe over the last year or so, and now I have enjoyed reading about your Elba trip. Thanks for posting. I look forward to reading more about your sailing adventures.
    All the best,
    Ian

Default Hello Axel

Hello Axel
    My current canoe was one of the development prototypes leading to the Bufflehead design. I am quite familiar with you and your Bufflehead as Hugh and I are best friends and canoe sailing collaborators going far back in years. As one of the input people on the Bufflehead design and owner of one of the first four prototypes I do have an insight into the design. The new canoe I have alluded to on this forum is my Bufflehead hull, which I will be decking and rigging soon.

The hull was built several years ago and then I stored it until I could find time to complete it. Here is what I can say in regards to your question and your particular sailing canoe use vs mine. I cannot suggest anything to add to your canoe based on what I prefer, as my particular use is perhaps a bit on the unique or even strange side for the general canoe sailing community. I do allot of open ocean or blue water sailing and this use in my mind calls for very particular yet simple systems that are based on safety first, instant rig striking capability, reliable underway reefing, self rescue capability, sleep aboard ability, etc. It seems you and I share a base philosophy of keeping a canoe simple, itís just that our definitions of simplicity are perhaps different.

I have followed the progress you have made with your canoe (she is a beauty) and it seems you are comfortable with what you have created, which seems well matched to your use to date. Great job!

Axel I would be happy to explain my current and next canoe systems to you but I wonder if this is the place to do so as we should likely go back and forth in discussion, I would not want to put anyone off here by going deep into the rationale or philosophy behind what I design and use and how I build the components and systems. Let me know your thoughts.

In addition there will be an in depth article in the magazine Small Craft Advisor coming out soon about Sylph and the rationale behind her design and systems. I know as soon as I say "systems" one must think complicated. I on the other hand believe in multiple use systems that are the essence of simplicity, which leads to safety, comfort and one great fast ride.

I hope we can sail together next year when I come across the pond with my sailing canoe.
    Very Best to You Axel,
    howard

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    Axel I would be happy to explain my current and next canoe systems to you but I wonder if this is the place to do so as we should likely go back and forth in discussion, I would not want to put anyone off here by going deep into the rationale or philosophy behind what I design and use and how I build the components and systems. Let me know your thoughts.

In addition there will be an in depth article in the magazine Small Craft Advisor coming out soon about Sylph and the rationale behind her design and systems. I know as soon as I say "systems" one must think complicated. I on the other hand believe in multiple use systems that are the essence of simplicity, which leads to safety, comfort and one great fast ride.
    Howard and Axel, I know that many of us here would be extremely interested to hear a back and forth discussion of the rationale(s) and philosophy(/ies) behind your designs and use. A new thread could be begun, entitled just that--or you could continue here.

Thanks.
    Ian

Default Hello Axel

Hi AxelHere is my email address if you are more comfortable exchanging information using email....prof_rice@yahoo.comI spoke with Hugh Horton this morning from half a world away (he in the US and me here in Micronesia). As you may know Hugh was a big part of my canoe Sylph and the person who spearheaded the Bufflehead design. He and I talked about you and your canoe.Hope to hear from you here or by email. HAppy to exchange ideas.Best,howard
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Hello togetherlet me introduce myself:I built a Bufflehead sailing canoe on the shore of the Lake of Constance, Switzerland, in the last year. This year I sailed & rowed around Elba with that canoe. I am not allowed to post links, so, it's the page /elba.htm on my hompage.It's a german page, but maybe Google translator might give you an idea about the trip.Some decades ago, I started dinghy sailing... commercially available boats. In my area, winds are infrequent and I decided some years later that I need a boat which sails and also rows well. Built a B&B Spindrift 11 N nesting dinghy to cover this need.The open boat was comfortable, but after a few years I wanted to explore the coast. A decked boat would be the answer, and a very light, very simple sailing rig to minimize hassle. Bufflehead has met all my expectations - yet.The Bufflehead is a close relative to Sylph. My strategy is to leave out everything which is superflous and to keep the essential, to build easy but as light as possible. So, no foot steering for me and no tent, because Bufflehead is beached, carried over the shoulder and installed under a tarp quite easily. Spray boards proved to be very helpful. Up to 2.5 Bft. I think we all lounge in our very comfortable cockpit seat, but then, climb on the gunwhale or reef - it is your choice.At the moment, I cannot think about any features I would need... i.e. to make cruising so comfortable or fast that I would build and install them despite their weight. Howard, you are sailing canoes much longer than I and you have already made much longer voyages. If you have some ideas, it would be fascinating if you write about that. I would listen to them very carefully and I might try them out.Yours, Axel

Default From Serendipity to Bufflehead

Hi all,

Having hinted Hugh Horton to this discussion, he replied "... Perhaps the attached PDF would be useful to explain the relationship of the Serendipity sisters, of which Sylph is one, to Bufflehead. Could you post it on the site? Or if that's inappropriate, perhaps offer my e' address for those with more questions. I'd be happy to reply to individuals."

So here is the same file he mailed, on the site of Epoxyworks: http://www.epoxyworks.com/30/pdf/Fro...Bufflehead.pdf
    For contacting Hugh one shouldn't use the mail address in the article, but
    huhorton at gmail dot com instead.

Regards,

Jaap
    Last edited by JotM; 1st-August-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo removed

Default From Serendipity to Bufflehead-Woodenboat Forum Discussion

Hello All
    If anyone is interested there is a thread started by Brian Pearson going on the "Woodenboat Forum" which can be accessed by going to http://forum.woodenboat.com/

The thread pertains to my sailing canoe Sylph and has much Bufflehead content within it. There is also a 50/50 canoe thread going on the forum. Both of these threads have much information listed.

Hope these links help folks interested in these two boats. Glad to answer any questions.
    Best,
    howard
    ps. Still planning to ship my canoe to England in early 2012

Thanks Jaap and Howard for posting those links, there's some very interesting reading there for a canoe sailing newby such as myself (especially nice when things are so quiet on here).

Hello Fellow Canoe Sailors.
    It has been awhile since I have posted here. Life has gotten in the way. My canoe Sylph is now in the United States even though I am still in between Japan and Micronesia working like a mad man. The project I am spearheading has hit a milestone (wait and see stage) and it looks like I may have a few windows of opportunity soon for some sail canoe exploring/adventuring. I am still planning to ship her across the pond and this looks like it may be the year to do it. I am giving Sylph a bit of lipstick and rouge after her six years sailing the islands of Micronesia and a few open ocean crossings in the tropical sun so she will be ready to go. I was offered a hand in receiving Sylph two years ago by the Solway Dory gents but feel a bit sheepish to ask again since delays have left my plans on the back burner.

I plan to have her looking new by mid summer and then its pack her up and ship. Here is my dilemma. I hope to get her to Great Britain but cannot come to receive her right away, I plan for a fall cruise if all goes well. So I am hoping some fellow canoe sailor out there might be willing to lend a hand in at least receiving her. I will of course cover any expenses. My plan is to leave her in GB for at least a year of sailing (I am trying to manage two trips during that time) before heading off to Europe with her.

If it is too problematic to ship her then thats life. I did manage to ship her to and from Micronesia without incident and so I have this notion I can do it again. I am by no means a man of means so I look for a hand in the receiving aspect. Sylph will come with her own form fitting cover and a tarp for over the top of that so she could be stored out of doors. If this doesn't work out then it looks like she will stay in the US for awhile or I may change tacks completely and ship her off to Japan.
    Very Best To All,
    howard

The offer still stands so no need to be sheepish, although i am not sure of your logistics of how and where it would arrive. We have a secure barn with canoe racks inside so storage is not a problem.We are in the North West of England in the Lake District.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    The offer still stands so no need to be sheepish, although i am not sure of your logistics of how and where it would arrive. We have a secure barn with canoe racks inside so storage is not a problem.We are in the North West of England in the Lake District.
    Hi Dave
    Great to hear from you. OK that solves the overdue planning issue and my feeling a bit sheepish about accepting your fine hospitality offer of a year ago. I am in the planning stage for the canoe move over the next couple of months and will keep you in the loop. I am excited to do some sailing with you folks and trying out some of your canoes. I hope I can work out my plan this round. My work in Micronesia keeps getting in the way but that said it is important work so canoe sailing has to take the back burner. I suppose I should have been born wealthy or married for money, naw what fun would that have been!

Last month I sailed an Aquamuse here in Japan with the Aquamuse company rep. A blustery cold winter day. A great ride. I will post photos and if anyone is interested a review here.

Thank you again Dave.
    Best,
    howard

Quote Originally Posted by CanoeSylph View Post

Last month I sailed an Aquamuse here in Japan with the Aquamuse company rep. A blustery cold winter day. A great ride. I will post photos and if anyone is interested a review here.
    Would love to see a review of the Aquamuse, please.

Yes , please do. We have never seen one in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    Yes , please do. We have never seen one in the UK.
    Hello Dave and Unk
    I will pen a quick review with photos. In fact I attempted several times to post photos of the assessment sail I did with the Aquamuse rep here in Japan last week and none of the photos would post. I will give it a go again.

It was a cold day of high wind sailing in what I consider to be quite an interesting canoe. I am meeting the Aquamuse company president and another rep on the 26th here in Tokyo as they want to talk about expanding sales out of Japan. I may end up in some role as an advisor, international rep, etc, we"ll see. The Aquamuse is currently available in Germany but not much has happened with distribution there.

There are a number of Aquamuse videos on line and they have a facebook page.

I will get something together and post it here.

howard
    Last edited by CanoeSylph; 23rd-February-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: missed word

Hi Howard.
    I think you must have more then two posts under your belt before you can post pictures ( an anti spam measure) when you do come to post pictures this web site will not allow you to upload pictures directly onto the server due to capacity issues but what I do is upload pics onto my photobucket page and then simply copy and paste the img code like so:

I am interested in you view of the Aquamuse as it looks similar to my Solway Dory Curlew in many respects, we have had some correspondence with Aquamuse on the Open Canoe Sailing Group facebook page but, as Dave says , have never seen a canoe in the flesh in the UK ,although an attempt was made to cross the English Channel in one last year I think(by the owner of the company?) I don't think it was successful.