Thread: Kiss Goodbye to Access?

Default Kiss Goodbye to Access?

One of the ConDemn's latest ruses is Operation Red Tape through which they intend to sweep away all the environmental legislation won since the thousands of deaths caused by air pollution during the great smogs of the 1950s.

Here's a warning from George Monbiot:

"But this is just the beginning of the coalition’s assault on the environment. The government’s Red Tape Challenge presents – on paper at least – the widest-ranging threat to environmental protection since the Enclosure Acts. Suddenly it is asking whether environmental legislation – yes, all of it – should be “scrapped altogether”. Listed as negotiable are the entire Climate Change Act, the clean air acts, the rules governing ozone-depleting chemicals, the Town and Country Planning Act, the Countryside and Rights of Way Act, the acts establishing national parks (and therefore the parks themselves), the rules enforcing energy efficiency, governing hazardous waste, preventing litter and dog-fouling: all the regulations, grand and petty, that protect us from other people’s greed and selfishness."

Full article here:
    http://www.monbiot.com/2011/05/09/shaking-the-tree/

If CROW and the national parks go then we can kiss goodbye to access to rivers, at least in England.

Wildswimmer Pete

It comes as little supprise to me that this in the future may be fact.

If you go to the Red Tape Challenge site http://www.redtapechallenge.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/about/ and actually read what it's all about I think you might have a different view regarding George Monbiot's words. I think there's a bit of exaggeration going on. It is not saying that legislation should be scrapped as he suggests.
    The presence of a particular regulation or law on this website should not be read as implying any intention on the part of the Government to remove that regulation or law from the statute book. The purpose of this exercise is to open government up to the public.
    Perhaps I am being a bit naive but when I read it it's not all about scrapping the legislation but just tidying up what's there so it benefits everyone.
    This website is for you to tell us which regulations are working and which are not; what should be scrapped, what should be saved and what should be simplified.
    The red tape I think refers to unecessary regulation and not the legislation put in place to protect everyone. Does this make sense to anyone else or am I missing something obvious?
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    If you go to the Red Tape Challenge site http://www.redtapechallenge.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/about/ and actually read what it's all about I think you might have a different view regarding George Monbiot's words. I think there's a bit of exaggeration going on. It is not saying that legislation should be scrapped as he suggests.
    Perhaps I am being a bit naive but when I read it it's not all about scrapping the legislation but just tidying up what's there so it benefits everyone.
    The red tape I think refers to unecessary regulation and not the legislation put in place to protect everyone. Does this make sense to anyone else or am I missing something obvious?
    BB That's my interpretation too. Whilst it's easy to leap to defend all legislation to relating to the environment some is not working and some is simply out dated and needs repeal.

We still need to be vigilant that access rights are not eroded as a result of this consultation.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    If you go to the Red Tape Challenge site http://www.redtapechallenge.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/about/ and actually read what it's all about I think you might have a different view regarding George Monbiot's words.
    I wouldn't believe anything published on a government website. After 61 years and experience of many governments of either hue I long ago learned to disbelieve official handouts (or to give them their correct description: propaganda.)

We are living in a corporatocracy and sweeping away regulation is the goal of big business. This includes the water barons who would love to be free of all those tiresome rules that make them spend so much of their potential profits on cleaning up sewage rather than just dumping it raw or minimally treated in the seas and rivers like they used to. As for CROW and the National Parks, having these abolished must be the wet dream of wealthy landowners.

Unfortunately this subject is bound to be politically contentious.

Wildswimmer Pete

Pete

I can understand your concerns and in some respects agree but I'm not going to give up just yet, I'm quite an optimistic chap. You may or may not feel it will make any difference but why not have a look at this page and add your suggestions.
    http://www.redtapechallenge.cabineto...#comment-16403

I haven't seen a single comment on there asking for the abolition of the legislation in fact quite the opposite. I have just added my own comment asking for the right to navigation of inland waterways to be reinstated to the CROW. (Response awaiting moderation).
    Remember the site is not just asking if you agree with scrapping some legislation it is also asking for suggestions on how the government may make them better.
    Bootstrap

They are asking for your views here. So why not tell them that CROW should be amended to include access to inland water as originally proposed.

Sorry it's something else to sign up to but they have asked for your views so you need to tell them!!
    Keith

It should be remembered that the laws and statutes are largely written by civil servants within the guidance of the policy of the government. The policy implimentation strategy of the government is based on advice received from civil servants and any other authorities they wish to consult.

What ends up in the legislation - the fine detail- is often written by those (civil servants) without any experience of how what they write works in the real world. Consequently the laws often have quite a lot badly thought out clauses which are difficult to work with in any real meaningful way. Some clauses get interfered with by the various commitees that legislation passes through on its way to becoming law. This is another opportunity for poor drafting to creep in due to some political motivation on the part of MPs.

Tidying up this sort of thing can be achieved without altering the general thrust of the legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithD View Post
    They are asking for your views here. So why not tell them that CROW should be amended to include access to inland water as originally proposed.
    Done
    Bootstrap