Moderator:Admins

V. small canoe?

V. small canoe?

Feb 04, 2007#1

Right,

I'm not sure why I'm talking myself into this as I can't even saw a straight line:rolleyes:

But....

I'm considering options for building a small childs solo canoe. Probably looking at 9' or less, Idealy I'd like it to have some rocker but at that length not much.

The child in question (would be wanting to help, Bill Mason made his first at age 9), is about 120cm and weighs around 27kg.

Can anyone suggest suitable dimensions, where to get plans etc.
    Like no.1 birdmans idea of screw and glue as it looks easier and quicker, which may be priorities just now.

Or should I give up before I startSMdchicken .
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

small canoe

Feb 04, 2007#2

Hi, make a wee lassie, go to simplicity boats they have plans and building on there. i built a 8 ft one withabout 12in sides 18 in bottom 24in top and put a tombstone on the back. The trouble is bending 1 sheet of ply with the chines on, you could bend round the frame and then put the chines on it might be easier. You could cut the sides join each end with plastic tie ons, sit child in and push out sides till fit and then fit top and bottem spreaders, you could then epoxy and tape or use a bead of poly glue and then press tape over that, leave overnight fit chines glue bottom on, hope this helps. SMopencanoe

Feb 04, 2007#3

Feb 05, 2007#4

Remember to remove child before applying epoxy or you'll get into all sorts of messSMnana

sorry!

I used to think i was in love and then i bought a Supernova :D

Contributing Member

Feb 05, 2007#5

Silvergirl wrote:Right,

I'm not sure why I'm talking myself into this as I can't even saw a straight line:rolleyes:

Given that the only straight lines in a canoe are the two handles (and then some are not!) you should be at a distict advantage.:)
            If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers.SMopencanoeSMopencanoeSMopencanoeSMopencanoeSMopencanoeSMopencanoe X 2:D

Feb 05, 2007#6

Two books below might be of use...Featherweight Boatbuilding takes you through the construction of a cedar strip Wee Lassie

Building the six hour canoe shows you a cheap and dirty way to build a servicable canoe type thing out of plywood.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Six-Hour ... 0961039671

http://www.amazon.com/Featherweight-Boa ... 0937822396

Feb 05, 2007#7

Hi,

The six-hour canoe is supposed to be six hours work. Don't forget there are several days of waiting for glues to dry!

Probably a nice little project for a young paddler to float in but don't forget that both epoxies and polyeurathane glues are not nice chemicals ,which limits the amount of work they can actually do while helping. My son (6) does like to help as much as he can though. He's done some sawing and plently of help lifting and holding wood.

Someone on another board pointed out thet "You're not building boats with kids, you're building kids with boats"!
                Cheers,
                Steve

20K2,260
                Administrator
                20K2,260

Feb 05, 2007#8

I've ordered a copy of the 6 hour canoe. It will be interesting to see if the girls want to help.
                  John

Every time a canoe trip is not blogged on SotP, God makes a new kayaker.  SMopencanoe

Feb 06, 2007#9

Mk have you completed the construction of that paddle yet?SMwhistle

Feb 06, 2007#10

Silvergirl wrote: I'm considering options for building a small childs solo canoe. Probably looking at 9' or less, Idealy I'd like it to have some rocker but at that length not much.

Hmmm, your question reminded me of this website. OK, it's a stripper, but the idea of making a scaled-down adult canoe for a child might have potential.

I'm sure the experts can advise whether scaling down in all dimensions is a good or bad idea, but it would certainly be possible. All you'd need is some standard canoe plans, a calculator and some tipp-ex! :D

Cheers,

Blutack.

P.S. What an idea for a baby - a stitch and glue "Prospector Cot"! (perhaps a more modern version of the Moses basket eh? ;) )
                      The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Feb 06, 2007#11

All you'd need is some standard canoe plans, a calculator and some tipp-ex! :D

Lots of tipex in my case.

can't add up, can't saw, haven't the foggiest about glues and clamps or frames:rolleyes: . Looks like it will be funSMbigthumb .

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I guess I'll do some reading, try to clear some space in the shed and go flirt with the guy at the timber yard to see what wood they have lying around;) .

I'll let you know how I get on, when I decide what I'm doing.

20K2,260
                        Administrator
                        20K2,260

Feb 06, 2007#12

Steve P wrote:Mk have you completed the construction of that paddle yet?SMwhistle

No but that is because I have never managed to get a piece of timber yetSMnana . All the places I can get to do not have the sort of wood you would use for a paddle. They do have marine ply though ;)
                          John

Every time a canoe trip is not blogged on SotP, God makes a new kayaker.  SMopencanoe

Feb 08, 2007#13

Hi
                            Have alook at the selway fisher website, he has quite alot of different designs on there, if you don't see what you like, give Paul Fisher a bell, he is a really nice guy and will do his best to help you out
                            James

canoe

Feb 23, 2007#14

Hi, try a oss plans are free ,it is a 1 sheet skiff dead easy to build, can be rowed, sailed, paddled or trolled. I have just built one in 4 hrs. not painted yet. Plans on simplicity boats.SMpirate

Feb 23, 2007#15

Find an old cheap kayak like an old town loon and jigsaw most of the top off it. Add wooden gunwales, a couple of thwarts and a seat. Then you have the 60 minute canoe.

It won't handle much water but it seems the appropriate thing to modify as many kayaks as possible this way.:rolleyes:
                                Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

Feb 23, 2007#16

WhyAyeMan wrote:Find an old cheap kayak like an old town loon and jigsaw most of the top off it. Add wooden gunwales, a couple of thwarts and a seat. Then you have the 60 minute canoe.

It won't handle much water but it seems the appropriate thing to modify as many kayaks as possible this way.:rolleyes:

You know Lloyd? That was my original plan;) . I've been keeping my eye out for one cheap enough.SMbigthumb

Feb 23, 2007#17

I want to build an OC1 from plywood and epoxy but can't seem to find any plans for this sort of boat (all the plans I have seen are for fairly basic canoes -in the short lengths) so have come up with the following idea.

Find a suitable boat and then produce templates by laying strips (ie planks) of card on the boat, trimming them so that they butt up to each other. Transfer these templates to plywood and cut out, then stitch and tape them together etc.

If anyone does know of plans to build an OC1 type canoe I would be very interested.

The Viking

Feb 24, 2007#18

Feb 24, 2007#19

There's also item 230095850401, the biggest of the three red canoes in the picture. Currently at £51.

They are a bit, er - red? In a dusky herringbone-patterned sort of a way.

Ian
                                        That shall float upon the river,
                                        Like a yellow leaf in Autumn