Thread: Canoe England Rivers Access Campaign Response?

Default Canoe England Rivers Access Campaign Response?

There have been a number of people on UKRGB, Facebook and here asking Canoe England to explain there activities since the inception of the River Access Campaign.

I have not yet seen any response to the questions posted.

If I am in error and there has been a response from Tasmin on how we are to judge the success of the campaign to date and if the River Access campaign represents the interests of the greater paddling community then could someone post a link.

I dont spend as much time on the net as I used to so may have missed it.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Default amazing job!

I think the quality of the campaign / team running the campaign, can be seen in the amazing amount of coverage that was obtained this week.

Rivers made the BBC news due to 110m of new money being released to improve the waterways.

There were items showing locals accessing rivers so as to improve rivers as part of the big society. But nothing appeared from the rivers access campaign on the hypocracy of this.

Default Rivers Access - Canoe england

In the latest Canoe Focus (p.47) it says

"The Rivers Access Campaign policy is to continue:

• To investigate the existence of, and seek restoration of, historic rights of navigation where they exist.
    • The campaign for a statutory right of access to inland waters in England, if required."

As I remember, the RA campaign was all about negotiating VAA's! So is this a "continuation" or a new policy on the basis of Caffyn's research? And anyway if they really want to make headway why don't they just bring it court?
    Amanda
    Chocolate Fish Merino
    Mae'r defaid wedi bwyta fy brechdanau!

I was hoping someone might be able to point me to some exciting new developments with the Canoe Access team leading a comprehensive strategy to increase our right to paddle in land water.

Oh well never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    I was hoping someone might be able to point me to some exciting new developments with the Canoe Access team leading a comprehensive strategy to increase our right to paddle in land water.

Oh well never mind.
    Good grief - that would imply that the Canoe Access bods actually had genuine commitment and a real plan - heaven forfend!
    Amanda
    Chocolate Fish Merino
    Mae'r defaid wedi bwyta fy brechdanau!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    In the latest Canoe Focus (p.47) it says

"The Rivers Access Campaign policy is to continue:

• To investigate the existence of, and seek restoration of, historic rights of navigation where they exist.
    • The campaign for a statutory right of access to inland waters in England, if required."

As I remember, the RA campaign was all about negotiating VAA's! So is this a "continuation" or a new policy on the basis of Caffyn's research? And anyway if they really want to make headway why don't they just bring it court?
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    I was hoping someone might be able to point me to some exciting new developments with the Canoe Access team leading a comprehensive strategy to increase our right to paddle in land water...
    I think it's more a case of, "Let's change the wording and nobody will notice."

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

When considering what CE does and does not do, you have to remember what it is does.
    1) Support for competitive sport
    2) Management of coaching and qualifications
    3) Recreational conoeing

You only have to look at how much emphasis the BCU gives to each to see where their priorities lie. There are many more recreational paddlers than coaches or competitive paddlers, yet looking at the Long Term Paddler Development and other BCU strategies you will see they focus almost exclusively on first two.

What proportion of solely recreational paddlers are BCU members?, and if it wasn't the best way of getting the inland waterways licence, how many fewer would there be?

Waiting for CE to take a lead on securing recognition (or clarity) on rights navigation on more of Britan's inland waters is not sensible, they do not represent either the numbers or interests of most of the paddlers who are affected by lack of such recognition.

Instead paddler's should be getting together to take the lead on this issue and to give CE / BCU something they can support when they beleive they can.

Brevan
    Brevan,
    The truth (about Rights of Navigation) is out there
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

If English paddlers aren't happy with Canoe England's efforts they should leave and join WCA or SCA. Same money and an extra magazine!

I know they have some kind of an agreement that English addresses join CE, Welsh addresses join WCA etc but can they legally enforce this?

I managed to slip under the radar and i'm a WCA member living in England.

Maybe it would wake them up if members upped sticks and left en masse?
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

Quote Originally Posted by pieface View Post
    If English paddlers aren't happy with Canoe England's efforts they should leave and join WCA or SCA. Same money and an extra magazine!
    SCA membership costs less than Canoe England because you don't get the EA/BW licence and can't get it except by joining Canoe England.
    So you will have to pay separately to go on the Thames, canals etc.

Thanks Quercus . WCA it is then!

I've never really got my head round having to pay to paddle on the Thames. Do people actually pay or just ignore it?
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

What is the licence fee to paddle waterways managed by BW & EA? And how does one go about obtaining seperate from a CE membership?

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

British Waterways licence fees unpowered craft at bottom of list.

Environment Agency details - licences cover regional or single rivers and can be short term visitors or annual all very expensive unless you confine your paddling to one area only.

The additional amount that Canoe England members pay for all the rivers and canals over the amount that I pay SCA would only get me about a week or so on the Thames.

(The reciprocal rights that membership of your local bit of BCU gives you in other regions seems to only apply to competitions. Not a lot of good for recreational members)

On river I have been asked to show my BCU membership on is the Thames.

So unless you plan to paddle the Thames frequently it might pay just to wait to be asked and pay a day ticket.

Contentious issue I know, but I have decided that for the time being I won't be joining BCU. As others have stated they seem to be doing little to campaign for access rights and much more regarding competitive sport. If I get collared by the EA whilst out on my canoe I'll take it on the chin and cough up, but until then I really would rather not pay for an improved kayaking scene and a glossy magazine once a month.