Thread: Tory MPS are frightened of 38 degrees

Default Tory MPS are frightened of 38 degrees

see here
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Quite astounding given the 38 Degrees team backgrounds that they haven't taken more notice of the rivers campaign. Mind you, when nobody can be bothered to vote on their Facebook page now that they have included in their shortlist of what they might tackle next it isn't surprising.

Well it may be that I'm not the only one who resents being told (by 38 degrees) I have to be part of an intrusive, privacy-slurping, US advertising agency (aka Facebook) to vote.

(I should add that I approve of all your efforts to raise this issue and push it along. I just object to Facebook.)

All the best,
    Ian
    Last edited by idc; 7th-April-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: clarification

Ian

I have complete respect for your position.

This what 38 Degrees and FaceBook means to me.

The use of the internet's power in the democratic process is something new. Its power has been revealed in election campaigns in the US and was instrumental in mobilizing grass roots support of Obama. He got elected with less of the usual pandering to rich and powerful interests that typified previous Presidential elections.

We are also arrayed against rich and powerful interests in the form of land owners.

It may be that the 38 Degrees approach will form an effective platform for us. We have a very positive story to tell which has many benefits for young people and families; the opening up of a wonderful natural resource for recreation and sport after centuries of restriction. 38 Degrees has very effective tools and expertise for communicating this message.
    Last edited by dougdew99; 7th-April-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    Doug Dew

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post

It may be that the 38 Degrees approach will form an effective platform for us. We have a very positive story to tell which has many benefits for young people and families; the opening up of a wonderful natural resource for recreation and sport after centuries of restriction. 38 Degrees has very effective tools and expertise for communicating this message.
    I very much hope you are right, Doug. My comment wasn't meant to reflect on you or the campaign you are very effectively mobilising--and which I thoroughly support. I simply have trouble understanding why it is becoming so common for businesses and organisations to require membership of Facebook. There are many more inclusive ways of organising votes and polls or providing information. The facebook route seems lazy and likely to marginalise a quite wide subset of thinking people who want nothing to do with facebook and its ilk.

Ah well, rant over. As I say, I do hope that 38 degrees (which I am now a member of--though I deplore their facebook poll) takes up the access/navigation issue.

Keep up the good work!
    Ian

Journal Entries

intrusive, privacy-slurping, US advertising agency
    If you use Google or Yahoo etc then facebook are the least of your concerns.... allegedly....
    Cheers,

Alan

Ian
    Thank you for your kind words...
    Doug Dew

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    I simply have trouble understanding why it is becoming so common for businesses and organisations to require membership of Facebook. There are many more inclusive ways of organising votes and polls or providing information. The facebook route seems lazy and likely to marginalise a quite wide subset of thinking people who want nothing to do with facebook and its ilk.
    Keep up the good work!
    Ian
    I'm with Ian on this!
    ....... but I have asked people who do have facebook thingies to take an interest.
    Sam

Default The Facebook Stats for the UK

Doug Dew

Quote Originally Posted by idc View Post
    Well it may be that I'm not the only one who resents being told (by 38 degrees) I have to be part of an intrusive, privacy-slurping, US advertising agency (aka Facebook) to vote.

(I should add that I approve of all your efforts to raise this issue and push it along. I just object to Facebook.)

All the best,
    Ian
    I have never been on Facebook and realy don't want to.
    Can't say as it would rule my life unlike some people that I know.
    They just live for it. The art of letter writing and speaking seems to be going.

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

38 degrees - YES
    Facebook - NO (and I don't care how many youngsters are on there!)

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

Never been on FB, seen to many people in the office let it rule there lives, I mean who wants to know your in the supermarket buying broccoli lol. Glad I am not the only one who has no interest in it, same with Twitter!

Hmm, it does seem that a lot of people are confusing how some people use Facebook compared how Facebook can and is being used as a serious tool. Same with Twitter. Both are absolutely incredible for getting the word about for different causes. Obama raised most of his Presidency campaign funds through Facebook.

To ignore them and write them off as some silly little distraction not worthy of any attention is the same as cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO. Like it or not, it is the way millions of people are communicating these days. If canoeists don't want to use them to spread the access word, don't be surprised if the campaign falls flat on its face. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMW View Post
    Hmm, it does seem that a lot of people are confusing how some people use Facebook compared how Facebook can and is being used as a serious tool. Same with Twitter. Both are absolutely incredible for getting the word about for different causes. Obama raised most of his Presidency campaign funds through Facebook.

To ignore them and write them off as some silly little distraction not worthy of any attention is the same as cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO. Like it or not, it is the way millions of people are communicating these days. If canoeists don't want to use them to spread the access word, don't be surprised if the campaign falls flat on its face. Again.

I agree.

Facebook may be used by millions as some cheap way of entertaining each other... BUT it can be used as a serious networking and communication tool in the current climate of IT dependent planet. Ignore it at our peril, maybe! Same with Twitter, try using it as a serious tool and you'll find a great many interesting people and places as well as comment... Same again with LinkedIn etc. etc.

People will use forums like SOTP etc - there is plenty of rubbish on here too and people will use the forum in many different ways...

Hi Simon,
    I'm not suggesting Facebook and its millions of users should be ignored. I'm arguing that it is foolish (of 38 degrees) to ignore the millions of us who don't want to use Facebook by putting polls up that can only be accessed by Facebook members. Looking at Doug's graph, it appears that more than half the UK population are not yet on Facebook so why put up a poll that ignores such a large portion of the population? (Especially when you claim to be an organisation hoping to mobilise people on behalf of a cause.) There are many reasons for not wanting to use Facebook, not all of them good, but nor are they all bad ones.

Some of my best friends use Facebook. But if they want me to see their communications they can learn to (also) use email or the phone (I also accept snail mail). If they can't be bothered they obviously aren't terribly good friends. And I tend to feel the same way about campaigns and companies who can't be bothered to adapt themselves to more old-fashioned, but also more mainstream, methods of communication.

Anyway, please don't feel that I am getting at you. My comment was aimed at 38 degrees, and as you can see from above posts I'm not the only weirdo who dislikes facebook.

All the best,
    Ian

PS I do recognise that means of communication are changing. For example, I accept that if I want to contact younger people I now *have* to be prepared to call a mobile, as many do not have landlines. But I still think that it is foolish to limit oneself to Facebook *alone* as a means of communication *if one wants to be taken seriously by the very large numbers of people who do not have Facebook*. I may be wrong, but I'll bet Barack Obama used email and the web as well as Facebook.
    Last edited by idc; 11th-April-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: PS & other corrections

One other thing that I'll add. If people really wanted a change to the current situation they would move planets to get it. If the campaign fails simply because some people can't even be bothered to join a social networking tool to cast a vote then I'm afraid the whole thing is dead in the water.

The words "can't be bothered" won't lead to change of any kind.

'm arguing that it is foolish (of 38 degrees) to ignore the millions of us who don't want to use Facebook by putting polls up that can only be accessed by Facebook members.
    It's because Facebook is already accessible to millions of people. To achieve the same with a separate website requires a huge amount of resources in order to get the word out, while with Facebook word of mouth is far more straightforward. That's why so many businesses now use Facebook as their main form of communication. They can't ignore other methods, true. But Facebook allows instant two way communication with huge numbers of people in a way that no other method can match.

Add to that the sheer number of people who get involved with 38 Degrees campaigns, and all that web bandwidth has to be paid for by someone. Facebook allows the bandwidth use for free.

Hmm, it is the same as cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO. .
    Looks like I am cutting off my nose to spite my Facebook, still not interested though.

I'm fine with that, Retro. All I'm saying is that apathy and heel digging in that way won't get the issue anywhere. Once again, as always, when push comes to shove, the paddlers don't bother to take action. I'm trying to map out rivers on Google Earth, and would like to make a decent video about the issue to help push it. But when I see that other people can't even be bothered to tap a few keys on their computer keyboard over a couple of minutes it makes me wonder why I should even bother.

Simon

You bother because you care... don't be disheartened... all change comes from the committed... hopefully we are seeing more and more people becoming committed to this cause and getting behind it... we need you...

I totally respect those who don't want to use FaceBook, despite being addicted myself... it enables me to keep up with friends and family around the world. The main problem is when I go back to Australia I can't tell stories of my trips here because they have already seen the pictures on FaceBook!
    Last edited by dougdew99; 14th-April-2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Doug Dew

I'm fine with that, Retro. All I'm saying is that apathy and heel digging in that way won't get the issue anywhere. Once again, as always, when push comes to shove, the paddlers don't bother to take action. I'm trying to map out rivers on Google Earth, and would like to make a decent video about the issue to help push it. But when I see that other people can't even be bothered to tap a few keys on their computer keyboard over a couple of minutes it makes me wonder why I should even bother.
    It's not the campaign it's the medium, as for not being bothered I signed up to 38 degrees and made positive comments and voted to get the issue pushed forward. But yes I will still continue to dig my heels in over FB and continue to paddle the rivers with or without access.

I hate facebook
    Its like an Internet plague (my view)
    I will not put my name on that site, no how, no way. ever.
    I think its a shame 38 degree has decided to use that site.
    As it would be great if 38 degrees would help with this campaign.
    But in saying that they are not the be all and end all.
    Yes they are committed to take on causes.
    So are most canoeists, swimmers ect.
    What might just be pushing a few buttons to one person might be dist-tasteful to another.
    Try not to be so judgmental there are many other ways that people help.

I took My daughter and her boyfriend canoing for the first time on Saturday and they loved it. She is on facebook and she is now looking into signing for 38 Degrees via there.
    Well she is now a part time canoeist so the right is hers
    There is more ways than one to skin a cat.
    Ratty (Russ)

I know only that what is moral is you feel good after. What is immoral is what you feel bad after.
    Ernest Hemingway

Well I've just created a new email address so I can join Facebook, just to place my vote. I've no intention of using again. can't see the problem
    Paul

The campaign is about access, 38 Degrees would be a useful ally and facebook is merely one communications medium they they use. Discussions about facebook are two steps away from the thing that unites us and as such is something we can agree to differ on - and move on.

Lets concentrate on what unites us and get on, each doing our own bit in our own way.
    Keith