Thread: Photos

Default Photos

Ok please dont laugh, I am a complete computer ignoramous, but can someone help me with how to include photos on a message? i have tried the insert image button but have no idea of what the URL is or how to find it.

cheers

steve

Steve,

There is a tutorial here http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...s-on-the-Forum.

Tryo
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Think of the URL as an 'address' that something lives at on the internet, be something a picture, a video, a webpage, a music file, whatever.

It stands for Universal Resource Location - basically it's what makes the web work the way it does, by having stuff at a known, absolute location that can be got to from somewhere else.1

Stuff on your own computer isn't [normally] available to the internet1, which is why you need to put a copy of your picture somewhere that is available to the rest of the internet.

A very quick summary is:

1) Host your pictures somewhere online like, say, Flickr or Photobucket.
    2) Make sure you don't mark them private.
    3) When you have you pictures posted somewhere, you need to find the URL of the picture.
    4) If you right-click your mouse when you have the cursor on the picture, you might find you get an option to 'view picture'. If so, click it. That will display the picture without any supporting webpage stuff - the URL in your address bar is the pictures URL, which can then be cut and pasted into the add image button:

5) Some photo-hosting sites make it easy for you (photobucket certainly), by giving you the URL of the picture, so if 4) isn't the case for you, all is not lost.
    6) The URL for a picture should end in either ".jpg" or ".png" (without any quotes).1

Give it a go, once you have stuff hosted somewhere it's often pretty quick and easy to sort out.
    Maybe use this thread to try it out?

As a working example, the picture used for the 'add picture' icon has a URL of it's own of course, and it's URL is:
    "http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/images/editor/insertimage.png"
    (again without the quotes), so if you wanted to add that picture (like I've done here), just copy and paste that URL into the 'add picture' pop-up window.

Any good ?

1. Whilst all of these statements are quite true, it's also fair to say that there is, in every case, much more to it than that ... but for the purposes of getting your pictures online, this is as complex as it needs to be, anything else might end up as a distraction.
    Last edited by monkey_pork; 3rd-April-2011 at 05:40 PM.

Default photos

Thanks folks. I have tried to post some photos on the blogg so hopefully they have worked. If they have I have loads more so over time you may regret helping me out as I bore you to death with endless slide shows

Thanks again

Steve

Devon ..just up from the bottom and right a bit.

Default I've been trying too!

Thanks for the help guys. I'm not far off getting it right..so I can use my old Flickr account then..just signed up to Photobucket! Happy paddlin'

Default HA HA I think Ive Posted a Pic!!!!

AIRBAGS!

Or, torpedo tubes.

EEk.. I didnt think anyone would see my airbag pic ..it was just an attempt to post a pic.. and what a stupid one it was! Just for laughs..I should of stuck it on that airbag thread couple of weeks ago!

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Teign Beaver View Post
    EEk.. I didnt think anyone would see my airbag pic ..it was just an attempt to post a pic.. and what a stupid one it was! Just for laughs..I should of stuck it on that airbag thread couple of weeks ago!
    Airbags are fine, I use them myself, but you've crossed a line here by posting a picture of ... sponsons on a canoe, and that's a far more serious matter.

Default Is that a better pic?

Taken early one morning off Babbacombe Bay.
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 29th-April-2011 at 09:50 AM.

another test after 'rtfm'

And then to edit (again the other post...)

Grtz Johan
    Dutch Unlimited, the mobile educator
    www.dutchunlimited.com
    www.jjbushcraft.nl

Default Try from Flickr!

[IMG]
    Stop for a brew by Teign Beaver, on Flickr[/IMG]

Default Anyone having trouble loading from Flickr...

On flickr the [IMG] code you have to cut and paste is called the BB Code.. DOH. . See the mini menu above your pic on flickr titled 'Actions' click the second 'down arrow' (positioned after the facebook twitter icons) and highlight the BB code... cut and paste it to your post...
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 8th-May-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Test pic

15. Default

Just testing I can post from Flickr:

Kettle boiling by G4ISJ, on Flickr

Eckington by G4ISJ, on Flickr
    Last edited by Paradox Pete; 3rd-October-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox Pete View Post
    Just testing I can post from Flickr
    Getting the bb code paradox? Also in the bad old days you used to have to have 10 posts under your belt

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teign Beaver View Post
    Getting the bb code paradox? Also in the bad old days you used to have to have 10 posts under your belt
    I think it was and is 3 posts
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    I think it was and is 3 posts
    I stand corrected...I'm sure it was 10??

Flickr seems to have permanently junked the BB code option, leaving those of us who depend on BB code at least temporarily dead in the water.

The advantage of BB code is that I can prepare an entire blog in advance, in wordpad or notepad, alternating text and BB code for individual images.

I guess I can try to learn to use Flickr's new code with the "insert image" button, but that doesn't work very well for lots of pictures. I don't like keeping a new blog "open" on SOTP while I compose text and pictures.

Flickr users be warned. The changes occurring now are making many Flickr users very angry.

Journal Entries

ez, yep it is a PITA! They have introduced new rules which could be the death of them depending on what the majority of people use the site for;

Where is the HTML code and photo file link?

The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in the Share menu on the photo, to the left of the More menu. We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)
    There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.
    The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.

You can still do it from the 'sizes' page and right clicking on the image (they can't turn that off) but it's way more hassle than it's worth. Needless to say, I've moved to photobucket...

Cheers,

Alan

Mine is there! Check next post....
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 1st-April-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Live just had a look..this is my bb code just cut and pasted! Ive still got it!

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/ezwater/13527892435/player/" width="800" height="450" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

So, what is the above code? I copied and pasted what came up when I selected the "embed" option on the new Flickr.

TB, if you know where on Flickr they are still offering BB coding, can you point the way?

Hi Ez. I go to the picture I require on my photo stream .. On the bottom righthand corner is a star / comment and share icon. I just hit the share icon.. And there is 'share via/ grab the link and grab the HTML / BB code options. Hit the BB button and up pops the BB code...cut and paste to SotP .. I trim it down so just the
    [img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/1234/12345678 etc. jpg[img]. Line is pasted.. So to unlink the picture.

This is one of your fungi Ez..

Thanks very much. Some Flickr administrator said to click the share button, and then to click the pushpin button, and then the BB code would be accessible.

They might have given instructions like that in the first place, but they are so busy with people who hate the new buttons, controls, and white on black text, that it seems not to have occurred to them that the most basic functions (uploading, and then linking to photos on other websites) are the most important.

No problem Ez..

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    ez, yep it is a PITA! They have introduced new rules which could be the death of them depending on what the majority of people use the site for;

Where is the HTML code and photo file link?

The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in the Share menu on the photo, to the left of the More menu. We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)
    There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.
    The direct link to a photo file is no longer shown on the page. Per the Flickr Community Guidelines "pages on other websites that display content hosted on flickr.com must provide a link from each photo or video back to its page on Flickr." Linking directly to the photo file doesn't do this.

You can still do it from the 'sizes' page and right clicking on the image (they can't turn that off) but it's way more hassle than it's worth. Needless to say, I've moved to photobucket...

Yep I'm not to happy about this as I actually pay for space on Flickr.... I can only link to pics on here for blogs via BB code by making my photos 'public'. I suppose posting on a forum is a public act but I like to keep my general family stuff private and maybe only select a few pics from a set to blog. Not the end of the world but certainly more than a bit annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Davy 90 View Post
    Yep I'm not to happy about this as I actually pay for space on Flickr.... I can only link to pics on here for blogs via BB code by making my photos 'public'. I suppose posting on a forum is a public act but I like to keep my general family stuff private and maybe only select a few pics from a set to blog. Not the end of the world but certainly more than a bit annoying.
    Hi Davy ..I don't pay for space so my flickr account maybe different ?? .. By "public" do you mean when you post a pic on SotP and Joe Public clicks on your photo he gets to you flickr pages? If the is the case trim of the surplus web info links on the BB code. Just paste the image bit. See my post #24 . All the pics I've posted on here are BB codes, trimmed down, cut and pasted not embedded.

Ah I re read your post I think all your pics are private at all times? Using embedded HTML keeps it that way? Forgive me if am wrong.

Hi TB

I normally have my pics private and use the BB code and the 'insert image' link on here. When people click on the 'private' images posted on here, they can't access the photos on flickr.

Now flickr won't give me access to the BB code unless I set my pics to public which means that everyone can see my photosets.

They do give a HTML link to the 'private' pics which doesn't seem to integrate with this site.

Its not a huge deal but I'd prefer the control over what is public and what is for 'friends and family' only, which I seem to lose if I want to link to blogs. The simple work around solution is to make sets of blog only pics separately from the rest of the pics.

I see.. My photos bar a few are all set to public. But by unlinking restricts access via SotP ,but as you say the world and his dog can see my stuff if they search through flickr or google images say for "Teign canoeing ".. Why not open a photo bucket account just for bloggage in public or visa versa . Right am off for a paddle now! Bye for now..

Ah ...I see I suggested something the same as you said regards separate blog sets.. That's the way forward ..I cant be bothered with creating sets..Am a lazy flickr ..
    Last edited by Teign Beaver; 2nd-April-2014 at 11:02 AM.

My bloody flickr BB code is SNAFU now ...

I have been using Flickr to post pictures. Copy the BB code into the url box provided by the green button.
    This gets the picture into the post but it is surrounded by IMG tags. If I tried to remove these the picture disappeared!
    I have now discovered that if you click on the photo you can move it into a different place in the text and the IMG tags are left behind in the original position and can be deleted without removing the photo.
    A quirk but a quirk that works!