Thread: Advice please

Default Advice please

Hi all
    Due to injuring my back, last year I am looking for advice on a new sleeping mat. I have got an inflatable mattress and pump, but find this to heavy to lug about. I would like to hear some advice from the hammock fraternity, as I know there is a lot of you out there, and I have never even thought of hammock's before , I have allways been a mat man.
    Many thanks Harry
    Guy Fawkes
    The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions

Default Tried a Therma-Rest?

I have had Therma-Rests since the 1970s, and often feel more comfortable on one than many a hotel mattress. They are self-inflating air-foam pads.
    So no need for you to carry on with your pumping, as Therma-Rests fill by opening the nozzle when you pitch your tent and lay things out inside. They are easily adjustable with extra breaths or by letting air out. I know roughly how I like mine, but my spouse always has hers much more inflated.
    I have only had to mend one puncture, when one of our children at a young age jumped up and down on mine while camped on rocky terrain in Norfolk. It snowed that night, and the slow puncture meant a chilly night in contact with the ground! The rest of the family slept soundly. But the patch system worked very effectively, and I still use this Therma-Rest constantly. Like a dint on a canoe the patch is always a reminder of happy times.
    There are now many different sizes and weights of Therma-Rest.
    I would thoroughly recommend them.
    And I note that many 'hammockeers' tuck a Therma-Rest into their systems....

Hammocks: a search over in the Bushcraft site

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?

will find you what you need to know. I converyed to a hammock for summer / decent weather use a couple of yeras back and although there is a learning curve, or rather a slinging curve a couple of nights in a hammock will probably convince you. I've read testimonials from folk with back injuries who now sleep in a hammock full time. If like me you are a 'mover' whilst sleeping you will find that you are less likely to be once you settle in and the slight caternary curve just stretches your back out.

getting the right hammock is important. One of SotP's very own MagiKelly hammocks will do very nicely with a tarp over it... or you could invest in the somewhat more expensive Hennesey range, which is a complete system. DD hammocks also have their adherents. One thing that is vital though, in order to get a decent sleep, is a way of insulating your back. a pad will do this, as will an underblanket.

Once you've taken to the trees, odds are you'll not come down unless there is a very good reason!
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Hi Harry,

The 'Base Camp' thermarests are the ones to go for if you want comfort although they make thinner and lighter models as well.

As regards hammocks they can be extremely comfortable, the important thing being to get a wide hammock you cam sleep in diagonally and move around rather than the traditional uncomfortable sailors style hammock which just forces you into an uncomfortable curve.

The grtreat comfort benefit of hammocks is, for me, that they remove all pressure points from bony hips etc. Whether they are actually good for an injured back or not would be very individual and depend on the nature of the injury, not something we can really predict for you - you'll just have to try it out and see

MK runs a group buy on hammocks from time to time and these are excellent.

Rob.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

Alpkit.com do cheaper (less than half the price) thermarest style mats. I have one and it looks excellent quality although I am still to use it in action as it were!

Matt

Default mats

Just posted this on the sleeping bag thread:

As for thicker mats - a few years ago when we were in Holland we bought extra thick 'Therma-rest' from DeWard (a tent firm). Although they are much heavier they are just like having a matress. They compress and roll up 'small', just like real Therma-rests.

Harry just let me know when you want to try out a hammock. You can come down and I can run your through a few set ups then lend you one to try and see if you get on with it.

We could even go for a paddle
    John

Like the hammock, once you use a Therma-rest or the likes, you'll wonder why you did not get one earlier. I use two, the Ultralite when weight and size is paramount (the full lenght one rolls to a fraction of the size of a carry mat) and the Deluxe / Base Camp one otherwise. As with most things you get what you pay for though I'd be interested to seet the Alpkit ones.
    Chris

Default Suggestion

MK - should this thread be moved to the gear forum for future reference on the advise for mats?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    MK - should this thread be moved to the gear forum for future reference on the advise for mats?
    Camping and Outdoor living seems more relevant
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    Harry just let me know when you want to try out a hammock. You can come down and I can run your through a few set ups then lend you one to try and see if you get on with it.

We could even go for a paddle
    Thanks everyone for the advice , and MK thank you very much for the offer . I might be at Lochwinnoch for a paddle on friday if the Doc gives me the all clear. If you are free we could meet up on the water
    Harry
    Guy Fawkes
    The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions

Gander Mountain also makes a very good (dare I say better) mat along the Thermarest line - for half the price.

I'm not sure of the state of their mail order business at the moment. They used to have a catalog available through their website.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Throwing another into the pile for consideration - I've been impressed by my, albeit slightly weird, Artiach Skin Mat.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I might be at Lochwinnoch for a paddle on friday if the Doc gives me the all clear. If you are free we could meet up on the water
    Friday I will be working. Saturday or Sunday I might be available.
    John

Another choice you may like to consider is the Exped downmat. This is a different mat to others, the mat itself contains goosedown, you feel warmth through the mat.
    The mat is inflated using it's own stuffsack, takes a couple of minutes, about twelve lots of letting air into the sack and rolling the sack to push the air into the mat. The mat can be made more or less firm by placing more or less air in.
    Plenty of info on the web about them. I bought a 9dlx, the largest in the range, it's 9cm deep and is a large mat in length and width, total weight 1.4kg inc the stuffsack. They are relatively expensive, I recently paid, for a 9 dlx, 112 inc p&p from a supplier in UK. Mine will be put to the test at Easter, I think it's going to prove a worthwhile buy.

I know a couple of people who use the down mat, and they have big smiles when they use them, I believe the Swiss army did tests with these mats and finished with very good results; think its cos the down cannot be compressed like in a sleeping bag when you lie on it, so you can then carry a much lighter sleeping bag. So I'm told, as I'm still using a foam karrimat, but eyeing up thermarests this week!

I have looked at the down mats. I will have to invest in one next season. although with this winter in mind perhaps I should be looking at getting tropical gear instead.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Read this thread on the 30th, went into the Alpkit site and ordered the Fat Airic(wonder why ) it arrived yesterday and I slept on it last night, definately worth having, specially at the price

Man I love this site, but it can become expensive at times