Thread: red card red tape launched

Default red card red tape launched

http://www.sportandrecreation.org.uk...-tape-launched

Page 34 in the exec summary and 185 and 199 in the full summary

Seems they have been trying to highlight the cause for a while.
    http://www.sportandrecreation.org.uk...eport_2010.pdf

I understand that the BCU have been strongly representing our interests in this initiative...

"Recommendations:
    DEFRA should introduce a statutory
    right of access in England and
    Wales for unpowered craft to inland
    water for recreational purposes.
    This system of rights and
    responsibilities should be based on
    the Scottish Outdoor
    Access Code."

This is a significant step in the right direction. We need redouble our campaigning efforts to help take this forward... write to your MP, tell him you support the Sports and Recreation Alliance initiative... point him at the report. This is news we need to make sure our MPs know about.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

It would be interesting to ask Richard Benyon of DEFRA his thoughts on one of the other departments backing a campaign for better access that he and his department fight against.

Has anyone got any info on that canoe challenge cameron is backing?

According to one of the Canoe magazines, Benyon refused to give any reply or comment at all when asked about the access situation in December (ie he completely blanked them, not so much as a murmour).

Quote Originally Posted by Quicky View Post

Has anyone got any info on that canoe challenge cameron is backing?
    http://www.adventureplus.org.uk/w2w/news/cameron

Oft him anhaga are gebideš, metudes miltse, žeah že he modcearig geond lagulade longe sceolde hreran mid hondum hrimcealde sę

Will have to write to him,

'wouldn't it be lovely to be able to do that in other rivers in the country'...

The Windrush would presumably generally be considered a 'private' river in the context of the access debate.

Will the fishermen throw rocks at them and vandalise their shuttle cars?

Romsey, Paddle estuaries within an hour, also club member and coach, and scout canoeing helper

Looks like the whole route is on the Thames so no dispute over access for DC.
    But at least he's paddling.
    Brevan
    Brevan,
    The truth (about Rights of Navigation) is out there
    Romsey, Hampshire
    Twitter: BrevanM
    Follow my blog at http://riveraccessrights.blogspot.com/

Default Lobby MP

Here is an easy way to lobby your MP on the back of this report. Help keep the issue alive!
    http://www.sportandrecreation.org.uk...bbying-your-mp

Default Sport & Rec

Great to see Sport & Rec here... how did you find us?

How can we help you achieve this recommendation from your report?

"DEFRA should introduce a statutory
    right of access in England and
    Wales for unpowered craft to inland
    water for recreational purposes.
    This system of rights and
    responsibilities should be based on
    the Scottish Outdoor
    Access Code
    ."
    Last edited by dougdew99; 28th-March-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    Doug Dew

Come on sport and rec, how about publicly backing the access campaign and start to inquire from the inside why DEFRA seem to be more intent on getting paddling banned from rivers...

Default Lobby MP

The best thing to do is to raise the issue with your MP and the BCU. The Department for Culture, Media and Sport is reviewing it and will announce priorities in the summer, hopefully it will support this aim! We will seek longer-term political support for those issues which are not prioritised by the current government.

The best thing to do is to raise the issue with your MP and the BCU.
    I've been doing that for over 24 years now and people have been fighting for river access for much longer.

There is little point raising the issue with our local MP and the BCU. The BCU already campaign with www.riversaccess.org and our local MP's just contact DEFRA and get the standard photocopied letter from Banyons assistant with the same smudges in the same places... (ie. we get fobbed off as if we are stupid which we are not).

I hope you will look at the research papers but Caffyn on this Access part of the forum. The make interesting reading and will hopefully enlighten you.
    Last edited by Quicky; 28th-March-2011 at 12:24 PM.

my MP told me today by email that he ... well i'll just copy and paste what he said

Your questions on waterways are best answered by Ministers directly, as I do not have the answers. There are thousands of areas of policy, and I cannot pretend to be an expert in them all. I would like to see greater access to our waterways, but I would like to see arguments against before taking a view. There may well be good ecological reasons for limiting access in certain areas. If this is raised in Parliament, I will follow the debate, and will take an informed view.
    Wont tell me what his position is and seems unwilling to take one until he has researched it, which he is not going to do.

We are asking our MPs to pass on our views to the relevant people;

"Please advise me of your position on this issue and communicate my concerns to Richard Benyon, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Natural Environment and Fisheries), Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport and Hugh Robertson, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Sport and the Olympics) and Sir Peter Bottomley MP"

The least an MP can do is to acknowledge that he has done this. If he doesn't acknowledge this, then follow him up... these are the people who need to know that people are writing to their MPs about this... you have the right to expect your MP to do as you ask...
    Doug Dew

Default Lobby MP

Hi all,
    Thanks for your responses. When approaching an MP who has sympathy for your aims it is necessary to offer them something practical to do, something which they can make a difference. We have two suggestions:
    1) Our review is with DCMS who are considering which recommendations to prioritise - Ask your MP to write to the Minister for Sport, Hugh Robertson to highlight the access recommendation as important to their constituents.
    2) Caroline Spelman (DEFRA Secretary of State) shows little sympathy for access issues and will not meet with us to discuss them - Ask your MP to write to Caroline Spelman to ask her to meet with the Sport and Recreation Alliance to discuss issues on improving access to inland water as recommended in 'Red Card to Red Tape'.

Thanks for this... we will incorporate this into our letter writing campaign...
    Doug Dew