Thread: What Can I Do To Help? - Vote on 38 Degrees

Default What Can I Do To Help? - Vote on 38 Degrees

38 Degrees is a community based organisation which takes up causes suggested by its members and tries to bring about the changes its members want.

Its web site is here. It is worth taking some time to check it out and see if you are happy with the way it operates.

Recently it was instrumental in getting the Government to stop its plans to sell off the Forests, stopping the creation a mega-dairy factory farm in Lincolnshire and getting Donald Trump to cease trying to evict people who lived near his golf course.

A few weeks ago Richard Openshaw, (anyone know him?), suggested that 38 degrees take up a campaign to provide access in England similar to Scotland. This was spotted by some of our members (Bob? Keith?) about a week ago. Since then we have pushed it from being the 300th most favoured campaign idea to its current position, 19th!

We hope that if we keep pushing, 38 Degrees will take it up.

You can vote here

Voting is a little tricky... make sure you have voted, not just left a comment...

David, Chas and Andy have voted. Stuart and Wayne haven't.

Please vote....
    Last edited by dougdew99; 10th-March-2011 at 10:09 AM.
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

I've added my vote to 38 deg

good luck

Voted as well

Whilst I have voted... what would appear to be needed is vocal support beyond the mere vote: arguing for this campaign as a member of 38 Degrees through the blog, Facebook and so on.

This is what's written on the Campaign Suggestions Forum...

Please note, 38 Degrees campaigns are driven by what our members want to do. If a suggestion is popular here, 38 Degrees will consult members about the idea in other ways e.g. through discussions on our blog and Facebook group and through member surveys. It might feel tempting to try and boost the ranking of your favorite issue by encouraging loads of people not involved with 38 Degrees to come and vote for it. Please don't do this -- this is intended as a space for 38 Degrees members to discuss together what they want us to do.
    FWIW, the river access issue strikes me as a natural progression from the earlier 38 Degree campaign... and as one that deserves to get considered... but just crossing our fingers and hoping that weight of votes encourages other 38 Degrees members to do all the work needed to make this a flagship campaign is only a minor step up from just shaking our heads and giving up!

Everything has to start somewhere though: voting and crossing one's fingers beats doing nothing

Greg&Ginas
    Thanks for this very important point. Could you explain what actions you think we should take? Most of us are very new to 38 degrees ...
    Last edited by dougdew99; 8th-March-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Doug Dew

Three votes from me
    Made with Love for a Heartless world

Whilst reading the 38 degrees FAQ I came across this:

My MP has responded, would 38 Degrees like to have a copy of the letter?
    Yes please. Please forward your responses to mpreplies@38degrees.org.uk. If you are unable to scan in or photograph the letter, please send us an email including your MPís name and a very brief summary of his/her response.
    Perhaps sending the responses people have received from their MPs would show 38 Degrees that we are being proactive too?
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Default 38 Degrees

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...681#post322681

3 votes from me on this thread..

Owain.

I may be wrong but have we missed the boat on this one?

http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2011/03...how-it-worked/
    http://www.38degrees.org.uk/page/s/what-next#petition

It looks to me like 38degrees have already picked their short list of issues to follow.
    Bootstrap

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    Whilst reading the 38 degrees FAQ I came across this:

Perhaps sending the responses people have received from their MPs would show 38 Degrees that we are being proactive too?
    This is a great idea Bob... I'll send them my reply... and tell them what we are doing here... others could send their replies too
    Doug Dew

Default Influencing 38 Degrees

You can help influence 38 Degrees by posting a message in support of the campaign to their Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/peoplepowerchange

and by adding a new comment here

http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2011/02...next-together/
    Doug Dew

Default Still time to vote!

It's now ranked 15th, but there is limited time to vote!

There are a lot of people who have commented without voting, and it's not obvious how to vote, so if you have commented, check that you have also voted (you get a maximum of 3 votes).

http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forum...hts-in-england

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

Both of us voted, still 15th though, still not sure how this works

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

As pointed out some of us including myself thought we had voted but have only left a comment. I've re visited the site and can't see how to vote.
    Please help.
    Paul

Paul,
    top left hand corner where you put in your comment, there is a tiny clickable button saying "vote" and then the screen comes up with the choice of 1 ,2, or 3 votes, just click whatever and bob's your uncle#
    Hope this helps

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

Here is a picture showing the vote button
    Doug Dew

Thanks folks, found the vote button.
    Paul

This shows you where we are in the pecking order
    Doug Dew

Default Post on the 38 Degrees Facebook page

I posted... see below

This gives a chance to get our message in front of the wider 38 degrees community
    Doug Dew

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    I posted... see below

This gives a chance to get our message in front of the wider 38 degrees community
    I should have said... "Please post on the 38 Degrees Facebook page as above with your own message"
    Doug Dew

I think we need 185 more votes to get into top ten... thats about sixty more voters... spread the word and vote
    Doug Dew

I posted... see below

Doug, I went to the 38 degrees Face-ache page using the link but your post wasn't there.

Not sure what's going on, is it because I don't have an account on there?
    Bootstrap

Bob
    it is there... not sure why you can't see it... it is further down the list now... may be you have 'like' 38 Degrees on Facebook... could you see posts on there from anyone other than 38 degrees itself? Did you try to add something yourself?

It would help if we had a steady stream of posts to Facebook to keep our profile up there... you put it in the "write something" box
    Doug Dew

I didn't try posting because I don't have a Facebook account and understandably the write something option is not there.

I wonder whether when people post there is something to tick to allow anyone to view it?

At the momentHejnonny Mus is the last person to post talking about RamUSA
    Bootstrap

went here:-
    http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forum...hts-in-england
    commented and voted x3

Just noticed on the 38 degrees website Kayakjedi has posted 3x but not voted. If you are reading this Kayakjedi you need to click on the vote button as described by Doug in the first post.
    Bootstrap

Got my vote. now I have a canoe I need somewhere to paddle when I visit the mother-in-law in England

Your commenter is back Doug

Merfyn Cymro
    Hi Dugoutcanoe - you seem to miss the point I was making. Responsibilities go hand in hand with rights - something which some paddlers do not display. As for predator ? You are welcome to volunteer with me in dealing with invasive weeds (himalyan balsam,japanese knotweed,giant hogweed), bank erosion,otter and invertebrate surveying,removing obstructions to spawning fish, checking the quality of the gravel where fish spawn etc.Perhaps you need to be less judgemental and more thoughtful in your comments

882 votes and now ranked 14th. my votes in.

zoe

Quote Originally Posted by Quicky View Post
    Your commenter is back Doug

Merfyn Cymro
    Hi Dugoutcanoe - you seem to miss the point I was making. Responsibilities go hand in hand with rights - something which some paddlers do not display. As for predator ? You are welcome to volunteer with me in dealing with invasive weeds (himalyan balsam,japanese knotweed,giant hogweed), bank erosion,otter and invertebrate surveying,removing obstructions to spawning fish, checking the quality of the gravel where fish spawn etc.Perhaps you need to be less judgemental and more thoughtful in your comments
    Maybe as part of our campaign we can seek opportunities to volunteer as Merfyn suggests... I am sure many of us already do so... get our picture in local press with canoes, improving the river environment... maybe a National SOTP Clean Up day... even better a Canoe England National Clean Up day...
    Doug Dew

We ought to allow that opening up access to rivers could have a downside as well as an upside... and not just for anglers: has anyone any idea what key things would get presented to the commons select committee or whoever ended up investigating the possible impact and implications of this sort of step?

Presumably the experience in Scotland has sorted a lot of the issues out: is there any pressure for changing the new arrangements north of the border now that some time has allowed a look at the real world consequences / implications.

What special counter-arguments are likely to merit special consideration south of the border?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe123 View Post
    882 votes and now ranked 14th. my votes in.

zoe

Nah Zoe, we are 13th now
    Last edited by Sundowner; 10th-March-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Liked this reply to Merfyn

Merfyn,
    I am not only a canoeist, but also an angler of both, trout and salmon (latter when given the chance). Let me just tell you this, every body of water I have been on tells me that people are angling there which I am able to deduct by the yards of discarded fishing line, lures, maggot containers and any other with fishing associated paraphernalia. Now please don't get me wrong, but you surely have to see that somebody, quietly paddling (not with an outboard or similar engine) on any waterway does NOT disturb the natural balance of wildlife!!! One more question if I may, why does it work in Scotland and elsewhere? You surely are aware of the fact that the Tweed for example is one of the best salmon rivers in the world and canoeing is acceptable there! I am sure I don't have to tell you the cost for a day's fishing on the Tweed? Let's please use common sense?

Default 38 Degrees Vote

Done, well you can hope.

If you belong to a canoe club and have a membership sect please ask for the campaign to be passed round to all member if your allowed. The voters have slowed now and we need a real push to get the numbers up.

Here is a real lesson in the power of 38 degrees! We have spent a week or so raising 350 supporters (there are a few dissenters in there as well).

38 degrees launched their petition against NHS reform this morning. By mid morning they had nearly 10,000 signatures and a target for the day of 20,000. At lunchtime they had more than 20,000 supporters and the target had been raised to 30,000. I've just looked again at 2.30 p.m. and they have 35,991 supporters and the daily target has been raised to 50,000.

It feels as if 38 degrees have another successful campaign underwater and it's got nothing to do with river access.
    Keith

Default Voted

Three from me

Good luck all.

If you think someone is trolling, the best revenge is go out and get more genuine votes... and to continue to post thoughtful comments about all aspects of this campaign, while ignoring the troll....
    Doug Dew

Seconded, Don't feed the trolls......

DO NOT RESPOND TO FISHGAURD ON 38 DEGREE'S

he will go on and on and on and is well known to the community.

He has been banned from most forums for various reasons but is the epitome of an internet message board troll.

38 degree's is not the place to do battle with a troll and it discredits the campaign.

If you think someone is trolling, the best revenge is go out and get more genuine votes... and to continue to post thoughtful comments about all aspects of this campaign, while ignoring the troll....
    Absolutely, I've just looked at 38 degrees and if that carries on the cause will lose all credibility.
    Don't respond to trolls and they will eventually go away.

In the mean time send a message to your MP it's a piece of cake using the web link already posted and use some of the examples as a guide of what to say.
    Bootstrap

We need to get many more positive comments on 38 Degrees.... you can comment even if you have already posted. Right now it appears that 3 anglers have more interest in knocking this campaign than we have in promoting it...
    Doug Dew

Also don't forget that this forum is public and they are reading them, that's how they found out about in the first place