Thread: Sailing canoe cover and gear bag

Default Sailing canoe cover and gear bag

Having waited 7 years to get a dinghy space, I now use it for my sailing canoe. This means it needs a good quality cover.

I have learnt over the years a good cover means:

made from top quality acrylic breathable canvas
    no holes of any kind in the top, and no zips
    deep sides keep the sun from bleaching the GRP hull sides and keeps mown grass off

Good covers made by sailmakers are wonderful things, but expensive to buy, although the price is fully justified in terms of expensive material used and time taken. Something like 300+ would be a usual price.

However, sailing canoes are simple shapes, and uncomplicated. the cloth is 1.5m wide and nicely fits over my Shearwater reaching from half way down the hull side where the trolley top is, right over to the other side. 4 darts at the gunnels at each corner, sew the front closed and use velcro on the stern. A draw cord sewn in the edge of the cloth completes the cover.

It's far from professional in term of super neatness, but it is a superbly practical and effective cover at keeping out the elements.

the cover uses 5.25 metres of best quality material available from

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Acorncanvas...ialists?_rdc=1

the reason for the rather bright orange is that Rod was happy to supply at his end of roll price - not many boat owners use orange!

Webbing and buckles from point North came to 11.

Having managed to make the cover, I dug all my canoe bits from the garage and practically filled the cockpit with rudder, leeboard, outriggers etc. Realised now I have a waterproof cover, I need a waterproof gear bag for all these bits. So popped back and bought 1.5m of cloth. this nicely made a gear bag 50cm wide and 25cm high by 1.5m long. This fits the cockpit nicely and will hold all the bits.

I do have one problem though. How am I going to get it back off my two terriers!

Brian
    Last edited by keyhavenpotterer; 23rd-February-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Nicely done and in an odd way, I even like the colour.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Looks great. How much did the fabric cost in all?
    I imagine this would be the sort of fabric one could use to create a spray deck for sailing a canoe?
    Thanks for posting.
    Ian

The material is full price 15 / metre, but Rod did me a special deal for orange at just less than seconds price 11.95. So the huge gear bag was 18 and the cover 60 material. Rod also sells the V69 correct thread for this cloth.

Would be perfect for a canvas spray deck. It used for making spray hoods for yachts. At 1.5m wide you would not need much for a spraydeck. Lots of nicer colours!

Brilliant. I made a cover for mine in a similar way - except that it fits over the hull ( I store the canoe upside down on a trailer). Upside down means no seams (to leak) on the top.

Thanks ISABELLA. Because I just folded the 4 darts at the gunnels I did not cut the cloth at all anywhere on the cover except the sewn front and velcro'd stern.

here's the gear bag in the Shearwater cockpit - made to measure

All the bits to go in - the only downside of a sailing canoe with outriggers:

floats, outrigger, rudder, leeboard, leeboard bracket, two sliding seats, one cushion and split paddle

Now neatly stored in the bag - wonderful, order at last

Now with rig and boom ready for cover

You ARE organised. Lovely photos - thanks. Gives me an idea or two !