Thread: Youth Hostels

Default Youth Hostels

I am considering joining the YHA. Never having stayed at a hostel I am curious to know how it all works.

Do you get just a bed, do I need to take a sleeping bag,and how do you go about cooking meals.

Or am I geeting soft and should just "Carry on Camping"
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    I am considering joining the YHA. Never having stayed at a hostel I am curious to know how it all works.

Do you get just a bed, do I need to take a sleeping bag,and how do you go about cooking meals.

Or am I geeting soft and should just "Carry on Camping"
    You get bed, sheet inner bag and quilt these days A communal kitchen is always provided complete with equipment so all you need to bring is your own food - or be lazy and order a meal.

I still use youth hostels a fair bit and like them very much. They have changed though and become more hotel like - you can even get double rooms rather than the traditional bunk rooms, the problem is that there are not so many of them around and availability can be a problem with the whole hostel often being booked by school groups etc.

As an alternative there are commercial bunkrooms and hostels springing up, particularly in the main walking areas which offer a similar arrangement and are also worth considering.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.

You get a cramped busy kitchen, noise, banging doors, snoring and nutters wearing sandals.....carry on camping

Default Yha

www.yha.org.uk

we've started using them quite a bit for group events. having someone do the catering in the mornings helps us get on the water a bit more promptly.

The list of places to stay now includes a number of bunk houses and camping barns too. They also have a number of hostels that allow camping at half rate.

The OCA has group membership so if you are a member planning a group event you can book under the OCA name and all get members rates.

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

Check out the Scottish YHA membership it's nearly 8 quid cheaper and still accepted in England and Wales and you don't have to live in Scotland to join it. It'll serve the YHA right for closing down the less profitable hostels in places where people want to visit ,in favour of "city" hostels. Which to my way of thinking goes against the principles of the youth hostel movement ,ie. accessibility to the countryside. Rant over - I still use them

go with a friend book a small room use a hostel that does meals and book that as well.
    the food is usually ok and much cheaper than the pub
    nature is m X-box

Quote Originally Posted by PEDDLER View Post
    Check out the Scottish YHA membership it's nearly 8 quid cheaper and still accepted in England and Wales and you don't have to live in Scotland to join it. It'll serve the YHA right for closing down the less profitable hostels in places where people want to visit ,in favour of "city" hostels. Which to my way of thinking goes against the principles of the youth hostel movement ,ie. accessibility to the countryside. Rant over - I still use them
    I agree 100%!

I remember checking first experience of an English hostel in Essex about 15 years ago. The warden thought it was hillarious when I produced my own sleep sheet and asked if he wanted any chores doing. It gradually dawned on me that things might be a bit different South of the border (although unfortunately the SYHA are catching up fast ).

That said, I joined the SYHA as a life member - a snip at 80 (Compare that with 210 for the YHA!). Get it while you're young I say!

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Thought I should try one out for myself. So I have just booked into Derwentwater for the lakes meet.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

David you will either like them or you wont, , I have been using them since I was 15 and I have been to great one's and I have been to horrendous ones throughout Britain and Europe, I am now 48 and still use them
    Harry
    Guy Fawkes
    The only man to enter parliament with honest intentions

Default Welsh Bicknor YH

This is a lovely hostel on the banks of the River Wye, with gentle meanders on the river down to Symonds Yat. The campsite is quite sizeable. Loos and washrooms are good for campers, and you have use of a kitchen if it is absolutely pelting.
    Indoor accommodation fine for family and/or youth group use. It is an old vicarage, with the church on the front lawn by the river.
    Welsh Bicknor can also be reached by road with a canoe trailer, although the last bend on the hill above the youth hostel is a 'jckknife turn'.
    It used to be the YHA Canoeing Centre for many years, but that fell away, and you now need to take your own canoes in rather than considering hiring them.
    A very good campsite to aim for downstream, past Symond's Yat, is Biblins Forestry campsite, available only for youth groups. That has its own landing stage within easy reach of the Symond's Yat rapids, but you need to pick your time and date if you are not to be overwhelmed by kayakers.

Default My Favourite

Quote Originally Posted by Bembe View Post
    This is a lovely hostel on the banks of the River Wye, with gentle meanders on the river down to Symonds Yat. The campsite is quite sizeable. Loos and washrooms are good for campers, and you have use of a kitchen if it is absolutely pelting.
    Indoor accommodation fine for family and/or youth group use. It is an old vicarage, with the church on the front lawn by the river.
    Camped there loads of times, wonderful place

I had thought about organising a group paddle there, as you can book the campsite for groups. Mainly thinking of a families and adults who can tolorate "little darlings".
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 23rd-January-2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Fix quote tags
    Alec aka Wayne

Youth Hostels sure have changed from when you were obliged to turn up "under your own steam". They come in all shapes and sizes from the shepherds bothy that is Black Sail Hut in the Lake district to central London hostels. Even stopped in a lighthouse in Germany once.

Favourites [probably don't exist now]
    St. Briavalels Castle: A Haunted Norman Castle in the Wye valley which I stopped in one halloween
    Black Sail Hut in Ennerdale- oil lamps only in those days
    Port Eynon lifeboat station, Gower : I was at Uni. down the road in Swansea and just about lived here at weekends. Warden was a great guy who I first met when I was treking back across the dunes to the bus stop having found the hostel was closed- He had just got off the bus and confirmed that the hostel was closed but that it didn't really matter as he was having a party and I was welcome. Turned out that the hostel had official opening dates and at other times you just turned up if you were in the know.

But then I discovered camping and the rest is history as they say.
    Aslan

Personally it's either camping (pref. wild) or B&B. Nothing in between!

Lived in hostels when travelling for far too long and will never go back! Here's some smileys to illustrate my feelings towards hostels:

I used to travel a lot to train. Ninjutsu dojos are not normally located in camping friendly areas. So I was forced to sleep in some pretty grim locations. The worst being the deep end of a disused swimming pool in winter. The shallow end was full with Dutch people. it was indoors but still freezing.

I have stayed in Isaacs a lot in Dublin. It is a private hostel and great cheapish accommodation. However after training all day going back to a smelly dorm full of damp socks and drunken young blokes is not my idea of fun.

My favourite hostel is the in Aviemore. Clean and good kitchen. I owe a thank you to the hostel in Glen Nevis for sorting out my kit after I ended up in Belford hospital.

it is sad that many of the better YHs have closed to chase the almighty pound. I would still choose a tent first though.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    You get a cramped busy kitchen, noise, banging doors, snoring and nutters wearing sandals.....carry on camping
    That sounds about right.