Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ray Goodwins new canoeing book

It's happened on two occasions, once with me and once, several years later with some friends. We paddled the Ubaye Racecourse (Southern Alps), got off, climbed up to the cars and met pete Knowles selling his guidebook out of the boot of his car.

That's what you need to do Ray, pick a popular spot and flog them for readdies.

Default Book Review

Ray Goodwin
    Canoeing
    (Pesda Press, 2011)

This is one of those books which every canoeist simply must have. The colour photo sequences are stunning. Indeed, they are so dazzling, and worth pondering in detail, that you occasionally have to wrench yourself back to the text.

The newspaper adage that ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’ probably stems from the Russian writer Ivan Turgenev who in 1862 made the more literary statement that ‘A picture shows me at a glance what it takes dozens of pages of a book to expound’. At 227 pages this paperback is not a lightweight pocket primer, but a substantial instructional guide to canoeing, so the ‘expounding’ - in Ray Goodwin’s inimitable and genial style - is also there. But the visual images linger hauntingly.

For years now Ray Goodwin has been Britain’s ‘Mr Open Canoe’, with a reputation as an exceptionally insightful coach. This distillation of all his paddling wisdom has been a fair time in coming, but with the assistance of the superb production skills of Pesda Press this volume is most definitely a paddling classic.

From the outset, Ray Goodwin makes the affirmation used famously by Sir Isaac Newton that his attempts to ‘see a little further’ are ‘most definitely by standing on the shoulders of giants’. Homage is duly paid to the ‘incomparable Bill Mason’, Paul Mason and Mark Scriver, Gary and Joanie McGuffin, the ‘masterly Cliff Jacobson’, Harry Rock, Kent Ford, and a host of other coaches and writers perhaps rather better known to British paddlers.

This is an analysis, primarily, of canoeing techniques. An incisive opening chapter on the history of the ‘Traditional Canoe’ leads on rapidly to the practicalities and an early chapter on ‘Getting Started’, so this is going to be a very good present for encouraging any beginners of your acquaintance. The Goodwin emphasis there is on sheer fun and learning through games, which is typical of his teaching style: sharing paddles, confidence lean, gunwale bobbing, leap frog and what he terms ‘all aboard’ - although others might call it ‘all afloat’. Then on to ‘Flat Water and Lakes’, a central core chapter on ‘Strokes’, and getting more complicated with running ‘Rivers’.

Canoeists are an argumentative bunch, so I can imagine a few raised eyebrows at the early section on Outfitting, but as the author points out ‘maybe there is no need for extra buoyancy or outfitting’ on quietwater or easy grade rivers. This typifies the approach throughout, because the author makes it very clear that techniques and technologies move on, with a warning that ‘advice [is always] very time sensitive’.

Later chapters on ‘Lining, Tracking and Poling’ and ‘Swims and Rescues’ lead into ‘Canoe Country’ with a scrutiny of wilderness campcraft and journeying skills. Throughout there is a starring photographic role for Lina, Maya, a succession of friends, and for Ray’s dog Dillie. The capsize sequence images are terrific, and also demonstrate that Ray is not averse to taking a risk which might get him wet. Every now and then there is a yarn – for example, the crossing of the Irish Sea epic told in the usual laconic Goodwin style – but perhaps more memorable are the epigrammatic formulations – for example, “Do not make the mistake of thinking that the Indian stroke is just about beauty and silence: give it a go with some real ‘oomph’….”

What also comes through is the coaching genius and the humour. One of the few print errors I could find is a comma inserted between ‘Dave’ and ‘Luke’ in a classic tale of Dave Luke in the front of a tandem shouting repeatedly ‘which way?’ as they bear down ominously on a river bank, eventually crashing, and with Dave pitched headlong in front of the classmates, before being told by Ray Goodwin in the back: ‘You’re in the front: you decide’. A tyro whitewater paddler is told to ‘Forget the strokes. You are good enough, they will just happen’. The incisive Goodwin coaching method is legendary in British canoeing, so it is marvellous to have that captured here for an international audience.

Got my copy yesterday thanks Ray.

Have only scanned through it so far but it looks great, I'm sure this will be a good source of reference for years to come.
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Not quite sure, did you like it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bembe View Post
    Ray GoodwinCanoeing(Pesda Press, 2011)This is one of those books which every canoeist simply must have. The colour photo sequences are stunning. Indeed, they are so dazzling, and worth pondering in detail, that you occasionally have to wrench yourself back to the text.The newspaper adage that ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’ probably stems from the Russian writer Ivan Turgenev who in 1862 made the more literary statement that ‘A picture shows me at a glance what it takes dozens of pages of a book to expound’. At 227 pages this paperback is not a lightweight pocket primer, but a substantial instructional guide to canoeing, so the ‘expounding’ - in Ray Goodwin’s inimitable and genial style - is also there. But the visual images linger hauntingly.For years now Ray Goodwin has been Britain’s ‘Mr Open Canoe’, with a reputation as an exceptionally insightful coach. This distillation of all his paddling wisdom has been a fair time in coming, but with the assistance of the superb production skills of Pesda Press this volume is most definitely a paddling classic.From the outset, Ray Goodwin makes the affirmation used famously by Sir Isaac Newton that his attempts to ‘see a little further’ are ‘most definitely by standing on the shoulders of giants’. Homage is duly paid to the ‘incomparable Bill Mason’, Paul Mason and Mark Scriver, Gary and Joanie McGuffin, the ‘masterly Cliff Jacobson’, Harry Rock, Kent Ford, and a host of other coaches and writers perhaps rather better known to British paddlers.This is an analysis, primarily, of canoeing techniques. An incisive opening chapter on the history of the ‘Traditional Canoe’ leads on rapidly to the practicalities and an early chapter on ‘Getting Started’, so this is going to be a very good present for encouraging any beginners of your acquaintance. The Goodwin emphasis there is on sheer fun and learning through games, which is typical of his teaching style: sharing paddles, confidence lean, gunwale bobbing, leap frog and what he terms ‘all aboard’ - although others might call it ‘all afloat’. Then on to ‘Flat Water and Lakes’, a central core chapter on ‘Strokes’, and getting more complicated with running ‘Rivers’.Canoeists are an argumentative bunch, so I can imagine a few raised eyebrows at the early section on Outfitting, but as the author points out ‘maybe there is no need for extra buoyancy or outfitting’ on quietwater or easy grade rivers. This typifies the approach throughout, because the author makes it very clear that techniques and technologies move on, with a warning that ‘advice [is always] very time sensitive’.Later chapters on ‘Lining, Tracking and Poling’ and ‘Swims and Rescues’ lead into ‘Canoe Country’ with a scrutiny of wilderness campcraft and journeying skills. Throughout there is a starring photographic role for Lina, Maya, a succession of friends, and for Ray’s dog Dillie. The capsize sequence images are terrific, and also demonstrate that Ray is not averse to taking a risk which might get him wet. Every now and then there is a yarn – for example, the crossing of the Irish Sea epic told in the usual laconic Goodwin style – but perhaps more memorable are the epigrammatic formulations – for example, “Do not make the mistake of thinking that the Indian stroke is just about beauty and silence: give it a go with some real ‘oomph’….”What also comes through is the coaching genius and the humour. One of the few print errors I could find is a comma inserted between ‘Dave’ and ‘Luke’ in a classic tale of Dave Luke in the front of a tandem shouting repeatedly ‘which way?’ as they bear down ominously on a river bank, eventually crashing, and with Dave pitched headlong in front of the classmates, before being told by Ray Goodwin in the back: ‘You’re in the front: you decide’. A tyro whitewater paddler is told to ‘Forget the strokes. You are good enough, they will just happen’. The incisive Goodwin coaching method is legendary in British canoeing, so it is marvellous to have that captured here for an international audience.

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Not quite sure, did you like it?

That cracked me up! Nice one Wayne.

And many thanks Bembe.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

Can't wait for my copy to arrive... more hype than a Harry Potter release,

I will mug the postie if he doesn't bring it today because I leave for holiday this evening and it was to be my holiday read - hope I remembered to include my address with the cheque.

Default signed copies

I am guiding in Scotland for the next two weeks (Outer Hebrides in sea kayak and then the Great Glen in Canoe). Lina has signed copies here she can send out if details are sent with a cheque.

I do have a cheque from an Ann Miller but no address :-( Any ideas?

The book is also available through Song of the Paddle Amazon shop and for less than I am selling it!

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

Journal Entries

PM on the way

Ann's my other half was ordering it as a pressie

thanks Ray
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Mine arrived today from Amazon (sorry Ray). Excellent piccies - not had time to read the text yet
    Neil

Got mine yesterday and have skim read it!!
    Excellent book Ray, beautiful envy initiating pics.

Thanks a lot.
    Bob

Of lofty towers we dream,
    And to their hieghts aspire.

First impressions - the new canoeing bible. Looks excellent, & the sequences of photos for each manoeuvre/stroke etc actually look very easy to understand, unlike some other books where you have to try to wotk our what's happening. Trying to avoid spending the afternoon at work reading it...

...nice job Ray!

My copy arrived on Friday, direct from Pesda.

Have to say it is a pretty comprehensive book, well laid out and excellent photo guides. Slowly working my way through it.

Well done Ray.

Regards

Steve
    Had a great time at the Canoe Symposium 2011 - Harry Rock is now my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    First impressions - the new canoeing bible. Looks excellent, & the sequences of photos for each manoeuvre/stroke etc actually look very easy to understand, unlike some other books where you have to try to wotk our what's happening. Trying to avoid spending the afternoon at work reading it...

...nice job Ray!
    I haven't put it down since it arrived and I totally agree that this is the new canoeing bible. So much so that I am no longer going to persue a copy of Bill Mason's Path of the Paddle
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Default Arrived

Ray,

I picked it up from the Post Office depot this AM.

It looks great, the photo's are superb !

It's going to be a big distraction.

Thanks

Paul

Default Must resist - but not for long!

Argh! Must resist buying right now!

Really keen to get this book.

Luckily, for those near enough to Liverpool, Ray has apparently kindly agreed to give a talk at Liverpool Canoe Club's base at Liverpool Marina on 8th August at 8pm.
    I will deffinately be buying then!

Open to all, but you need to register attendance here http://www.liverpoolcanoeclub.co.uk/ (scroll down to find the Monday Night Talks and click on Ray Goodwin)

By the looks of it its filling up fast!

Default Link to Rays talk

Better link to register attendance

http://www.liverpoolcanoeclub.co.uk/ray/

Ray, Whilst I would love to have it hand delivered, I think I will plump for the less personal touch ( although a signed copy would be most appreciated).
    Whats the easiset way for me to buy one from you direct?

Love your work BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by RayGoodwin View Post
    So two prices:

£816.99 was the expensive way

Or Book £16.99 plus £10.92 postage so £27.91

Mind the expensive option would include hand delivery by me.

I have just checked on Amazon.co.uk and one of the sellers there is offering world wide delivery. It would be worth checking that out. While I was there I saw that they are selling the book cheaper than me. I love this world. Cannot complain as I have bought so many books from Amazon over the years.

Ray
    It is not for glory,nor riches,nor honours that we are fighting,but for freedom-for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

http://www.gcphotographic.com/
    http://gcphotographic.wordpress.com/

Journal Entries

The book is also available through Song of the Paddle Amazon shop and for less than I am selling it!
    And here is the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canoeing-Ra...1105920&sr=8-1

I have recieved a copy and will do a full review when I get a chance but if I were you I would just buy one now
    John

My copy arrived yesterday - first impression - great - now need time to read it properly.

For other European members I would suggest puchasing from Pesada Press. They delivered free to the Netherlands (and other European destinations).

Sorry Ray, but free postage is definitely a good deal.

Great to have a comprehensive book with all aspects of canoeing.

Thanks Ray.

Valerie

This thread has gone a bit quiet. Not as much internet forum loyalty fervour as I was expecting.

Is it because it's not very good?

This thread has gone a bit quiet. Not as much internet forum loyalty fervour as I was expecting.

I'd say the opposite - its an excellent book- but once you've said that what more is there to say
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Mr M View Post
    I'd say the opposite - its an excellent book
    Neil
    I'll happily second that. I would say it is a must-have for anyone interested in canoeing. It is well written, well produced, and well illustrated with an abundance of clear and informative colour photographs to complement the text. It is interesting, entertaining, and absolutely full of information and wisdom that comes from years of paddling and coaching experience. The book covers a wide range of canoeing skills and has enough breadth to cover all the important areas, but there is also the right amount of depth and detail and i would think it would be useful and educational for beginners and experienced paddlers alike. What i particularly like about the book is how Ray has managed to take such a broad subject, break it down clearly and concisely into useful chunks, troubleshoot the common pitfalls and mistakes, and then put it all back together again in a way that keeps all the separate elements connected and useful. It is clearly written by a man who understands the big picture, and who really understands how to share that knowledge with someone who doesn't (yet).

In the introduction, Ray Goodwin makes reference to, and acknowledges, the classic canoe books by authors such as Bill Mason, Cliff Jacobson, Gary and Joanie Mcguffin. Ray says that this book is his attempt "to see a little further" by "standing on the shoulders of giants". I would say he has more than achieved that. Most of the classic books about canoeing live next to my bed, and right now Ray's book is right at home sitting on top of the pile. I suspect it is destined to be a classic, written in an engaging and direct style, by an author with with an incredible level of experience, skill, knowledge and enthusiasm. This book is certainly helping me to "see a little further" and i am sure i will be coming back to it, again and again. My only criticism is there should be a waterproof edition so i can take it out with me in my canoe to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by happy camper View Post
    I'll happily second that. I would say it is a must-have for anyone interested in canoeing. It is well written, well produced, and well illustrated with an abundance of clear and informative colour photographs to complement the text. It is interesting, entertaining, and absolutely full of information and wisdom that comes from years of paddling and coaching experience. The book covers a wide range of canoeing skills and has enough breadth to cover all the important areas, but there is also the right amount of depth and detail and i would think it would be useful and educational for beginners and experienced paddlers alike. What i particularly like about the book is how Ray has managed to take such a broad subject, break it down clearly and concisely into useful chunks, troubleshoot the common pitfalls and mistakes, and then put it all back together again in a way that keeps all the separate elements connected and useful. It is clearly written by a man who understands the big picture, and who really understands how to share that knowledge with someone who doesn't (yet).

In the introduction, Ray Goodwin makes reference to, and acknowledges, the classic canoe books by authors such as Bill Mason, Cliff Jacobson, Gary and Joanie Mcguffin. Ray says that this book is his attempt "to see a little further" by "standing on the shoulders of giants". I would say he has more than achieved that. Most of the classic books about canoeing live next to my bed, and right now Ray's book is right at home sitting on top of the pile. I suspect it is destined to be a classic, written in an engaging and direct style, by an author with with an incredible level of experience, skill, knowledge and enthusiasm. This book is certainly helping me to "see a little further" and i am sure i will be coming back to it, again and again. My only criticism is there should be a waterproof edition so i can take it out with me in my canoe to practice.
    Yeah. That's the sort of thing.

Just ordered the book. Now I need a canoe. http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...om-sunny-Poole

Default Canoeing

I am guiding in Scotland for the next two weeks (Outer Hebrides in sea kayak and then the Great Glen in Canoe). Lina has signed copies here she can send out if details are sent with a cheque.

I do have a cheque from an Ann Miller but no address :-( Any ideas?

Ray
    A lovely, informative and easy-to-read book on canoeing and super photography. Never mind Amazon selling it cheaper, Ray; I had a photography book published about 5 years ago, and you know you've made the grade when you find your book piled high in remainder bookshops!!

'The only difference between me and a Madman is that I'm not mad' Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by AHPP View Post

Quote Originally Posted by AHPP View Post
    Yeah. That's the sort of thing.
    Hello AHPP,

i may well be misunderstanding your point, but it seems to me that you might be saying that my opinions have been influenced by some loyalty or perceived association with Ray Goodwin via this forum.

If that is the case, and for the avoidance of any doubt, i just wanted to say that the contents of my short review aren't anything to do with internet forum loyalty fervour. I have simply given my honest and unbiased opinion of the book, based on my own impressions, in the hope that it might be useful to anyone thinking of buying a copy.

The book arrived this morning.

It reads very well with lots of pictures. Great for a novice like me (novice canoeist not novice reader).

Thank you to the author and the recommendations from posters.

Just got back from Ray Goodwins presentation at Liverpool Canoe Club.
    " BRILLIANT" It was great listening to him talking about how it all started and his storeys on the book content.A good night had by all.
    Well done Ray.Thanks for the presentation.(I should of bought 2 books,one to read and one to keep as new)

Tony

I think this book will make a jolly good birthday present ... I will have to get one

Quote Originally Posted by paddler.nl View Post
    For other European members I would suggest puchasing from Pesada Press. They delivered free to the Netherlands (and other European destinations).
    Just ordered my copy from bookdepository.co.uk , they will ship it to anywhere in the world for €14.98 (incl P&P) (GBP 13.03)

Jaap

Hi Guys and Gals

I have recently emailed Ray a review of his book, and with Ray's permission thought I'd share it with you all.

As promised, here is my review of your book, which as you may recall, my daughter bought me for xmas.

As someone who has a love of photography, I welcome books which are filled with photos, and I pleased to say that your book fullfills this. The only slight mute point, was that on some of the sequence shots, I would have liked to have seen bigger photos, but I can appreciate that space is at a premium when designing pages. To be honest, thats probably more to do with my advancing years, and somewhat less sharp eysight !

However as a plus point regarding the photos, it has helped enormously, in visualizing the moves, and where previously I was going wrong - especially with the edging of the canoe.

I find the writing clear and easy to understand, and I just could not put it down, to me a sign of a very good book.

It has inspired me to my first trip onto grade 2+ water, with my canoe club. We recently had a trip on the severn from Newtown to Abermule, and inspired by what I had read and seen, had a good go at ferry crossing, breaking in and breaking out. This was my first solo trip onto good moving water in my own canoe, and although took some water on board at one particular 'rapid' managed to stay in the boat and dry !

I'm sure this book will also help me in two particular ways. It will help me in my coaching, being now able to describe more clearly some of the techniques that you have put into words. It will also help me, in getting a better basic grounding in my own ability, to achieve, firstly my 3 star canoe, and then onto 4 star canoe. I am more confident, that when I seek some coaching to achieve these goals (when funds allow), I will be in a better position to understand, and learn from the coach.

I have done a few overnight trips, (as you may recall from my charity blogs on SOTP), and following some of your recommendations fitted out my canoe, and kit with a few more bits and pieces. In fact I shall be doing another charity trip this year in aid of the RNLI, and hopefully another auction on SOTP.

In summary, I am very pleased with the book, and will be recommending it to my friends and fellow paddlers.

I await the DVD version......................

happy paddling

andy

I received a copy for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, fantastic book for a relative novice like me and my copy is becoming rather dog-eared already...

Sal
    There can be worse obsessions

Cool Christchurch to beat !

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    Gidday Ray,

Gonna attempt to be the furthest South owner of your new book.

Can you let me know the cost with Postage to Dunedin New Zealand, please.

Cheers
    Hope you are successful getting a copy, sitting here in Christchurch NZ reading my copy, great book.
    Always behave like a Duck - Keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath!

My book arived today , thanks Ray for signing it.

Looks fantastic for beginers like me through to your pros, well explained and lots of step by step pics, brilliant.

thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12