Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray Goodwins new canoeing book

Default Ray Goodwins new canoeing book

I know he wont blow his own trumpet, so I'll blow it for him.

http://news.pesdablog.com/2011/02/09...y-ray-goodwin/

Mike
    To every opinion there is always an equal and opposite opinion.
    (Newtons fourth law)

Looking forward to reading this,
    Neil

Default Thanks

Thanks Mike.

Yes finally it is done. It is with the typesetter at this moment and it exciting to see the pages appear. It the end of a long road (or river).

I am very pleased with what Pesda Press are doing with it and its out on June 1st.

Exciting times for me (and Maya has taken her first steps this last couple of days)

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

RAY,
    Will you be doing signed copies/advance orders,or will you be having any book signings anywhere.

Tony

SWMBO birthday present! (and I'll have time to read it before the day!)
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

Default Book

The offer: Book is out on June 1st. Cost 16.99. Buying it directly from me I will include post and packing. I will of course sign those. It is already up on Amazon for pre orders but I make more on direct sales. There is a big preview article in the next issue of the Canoe Wales mag for those who get that. Samples will be available on both my and the Pesda Press website in the next weeks.

This is the end of a very long process (started seven years ago). Pesda Press are doing a stunning job with the photos and design.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

pm sent

cheers

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

We have delayed launch until June 14th as I am working in France for a couple of weeks until then.

220 pages and over 800 photos. Lots of sequences.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Are you the same Ray that accompanied Ray Mears in Canada in one of his series' a few years back ? (You had a Mad River at the time)

If so, it sounds like it's a book I'll look out for, as you came across really well, and any advice I could garner from your written word would be valuable, I reckon.

He is that man. The one who carved the spatula.

That episode is one of the main reasons I'm here now, and why I've wanted my own canoe for so long ....

That and the one before it, where BBC2 still had the confidence to devote a whole hour to a programme on 2 men (one of whom was called Pinnock) making a birch bark canoe. Class.

Yep it was me. Been working on photos for the book from a short while after filming that programme.

Chuffed to bits with the work the editor and designer have done with the photos and layout. Lots of sequencing and photo montages to show moves and flow.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

The book has gone to the printer. On track for June 14th.
    www.RayGoodwin.com

I am looking forward to adding it my collection of canoe books.

Is this book aimed at the general public or did you write it for canoeists?

Bushcraft Survival and First Aid Training.

hi Wayne

My aim had always been to be pretty comprehensive. So at one level a beginner could pick it up and have some good stuff to advise and guide them. But it is intended that there is a lot that will be useful to folk doing advanced trips or coaches wanting a reference work. Open water, rivers, poling and tracking, sailing, rescues are all in. The final chapter gives ideas and pointers for organising trips in more remote areas so finding outfitters, use of location beacons and sat phones. There are quite of number of anecdotes and stories to help illustrate the chapters. I did not touch on OC1 other than to point out the diversity of canoeing. And before anyone asks bent shaft paddles and fast boat are in.

Pesda Press have been tremendous and have helped bounce ideas around and come up with a design that exceeds my expectations. So 220 pages, 830 pics and 44,000 words. The pictures are key to the book's success: in nearly every case we got the photos before I did the writing. Photos were taken in the Alps, Massif Central, Sweden and North America with a good sprinkling from Britain. The reality is that is is a distillation of my life and coaching in the outdoors so it is more than just a book to me.

Yesterday was strange because I signed off all the individual pages. It was my part in the books creation finished. After so many years it was a strangely flat feeling. I dare say seeing the reality will be very different.

I will with MK's permission put up an offer and link in due course. Publication date appears to be 14th June but we await final confirmation from the printer.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

looking forward to reading and learning Ray,signed sotp ones ?

(Couldn't find the "Rubbing-hands-with-gleeful-anticipation emoticon)

Very muck looking forward to this book, had thought, when I saw Mr Goodwins name attached, that it would be too advanced for someone as talentless as me , but it sounds right on the money!!!
    Bob

Of lofty towers we dream,
    And to their hieghts aspire.

Hi Bob

Your concerns would have been met by a suggested title. A group of my customers brainstormed ideas supposedly in a bid to assist; they came up with 'Canoeing: From Muppet to Maestro'. However appealing in the end we decided against that. We tried a lot of permutations but in the end stuck with 'Canoeing'.

NOT that I am calling anyone a muppet or even suggesting such a thing. I am far more polite to people just in case they might buy a copy.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Quote Originally Posted by RayGoodwin View Post
    Hi Bob

NOT that I am calling anyone a muppet or even suggesting such a thing.
    Ray
    But I bet you thought it at some points last Wednesday

Tyro.
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

just in case they might buy a copy.

Ray
    Or come back
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Or come back
    Well it obviously worked. Just need to practice a bit first and book those nice low river levels again.

Tyro
    "Oh, Eeyore, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.Eeyore shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.

Hurrah, can't wait to get hold of a copy, is there a DVD to follow?? Have seen the sea kayaking one and also have Justine's canoeing one.

Ray did a presentation, with assistance from daughter Maya, at the OCA Rally held over the May Day Bank Hol weekend and told the story behind the book and showed some slides with some snippets from the book and some pictures. Looks awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRich View Post
    Ray did a presentation, with assistance from daughter Maya
    Playing the cute card. It will never work with hard bitten canoeists.

tyro

Quote Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
    Playing the cute card. It will never work with hard bitten canoeists.

tyro
    But she is soooo cute.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Link emailed to my good half, I'm seeing a great Birthday present coming my way in June! Thanks Ray. Been wanting to learn about river running for some time but don't have the courage to just go for it.

Congrat's on the lil one, although now she's mobile you've had it!

"I'm only saying it coz it's the truth!"

looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of the book roll on june

I was lucky enough to spend a couple of days under Ray's expert teaching last year - the book sounds excellent and I suspect will become a 'must' for learning good technique.

It will be nice to have something from a home grown expert on the subject!
    There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

Default Release date

Hopefully the final date.

Pesda Press has had the printer's proofs and signed them off. Book will be printed by June 2nd in Hong Kong. It will then do a half world tour by boat to arrive here for release by July 6th. A well travelled book. I wonder if it will go via the Panama Canal or head west?

Hopefully they are going to airmail a couple of copies on June 2nd so I get a copy early.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Hi Bob

Your concerns would have been met by a suggested title. A group of my customers brainstormed ideas supposedly in a bid to assist; they came up with 'Canoeing: From Muppet to Maestro'. However appealing in the end we decided against that. We tried a lot of permutations but in the end stuck with 'Canoeing'.

NOT that I am calling anyone a muppet or even suggesting such a thing. I am far more polite to people just in case they might buy a copy.

Ray
    Sorry but my paddling partner is a muppet.........

Looking forward to the new book, gives SWMBO an easy birthday present for me

Happy paddling

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by no1 photographer View Post
    Sorry but my paddling partner is a muppet.........

Andy
    Love it.
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Default Ray, did you get a copy ?

What's the ETA ?

I was hoping to drop some Fathers Day hint .....

Paul

Default 6th July

Quote Originally Posted by bin_man View Post
    What's the ETA ?

I was hoping to drop some Fathers Day hint .....

Paul
    Books were finished last week in Hong Kong. My advanced copy was airmailed and was waiting here today when I got home from the Ardeche. It has lived up to my expectations and hopes. The bulk are being shipped now. Arrival here and in the warehouse for the 4th July. I am told I will have them to post on the 6th July. Fingers crossed.

There is a sample on Pesda Press website.

http://www.pesdapress.com/Water-Tech...duct_info.html

As I have said before I make more money (and will sign them) if they are ordered direct from me.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Books were finished last week in Hong Kong. My advanced copy was airmailed and was waiting here today when I got home from the Ardeche. It has lived up to my expectations and hopes. The bulk are being shipped now. Arrival here and in the warehouse for the 4th July. I am told I will have them to post on the 6th July. Fingers crossed.

As I have said before I make more money (and will sign them) if they are ordered direct from me.

Ray
    Please consider this when buying a copy! As a fellow author I know only too well that the author picks up the peanuts after everybody else in the supply chain has had the pickings. Who would you prefer has your money, the author or the bookshop?

Ray
    Ray,

Were you going to get your website changed to allow purchase from your website ?

Regards.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bin_man View Post
    Ray,

Were you going to get your website changed to allow purchase from your website ?

Regards.

Paul
    Been away in France so that stalled. Having problems because the site uses iweb. Getting some advice this week and hopefully get is sorted real quick. Meanwhile snailmail, a delivery address and a cheque will still work!

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Ray
    Sorry Ray, missed that bit, ordered mine from Pesda around two weeks ago. Looking forward to a good read.

Steve
    Had a great time at the Canoe Symposium 2011 - Harry Rock is now my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    Sorry Ray, missed that bit, ordered mine from Pesda around two weeks ago. Looking forward to a good read.

Steve
    Not a problem Steve. I hope you enjoy it and if you have it with you and you spot me then I will sign it (the smaller cheaper looking signature ;-) )

Kindest

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Journal Entries

Dammit, going on hols 3rd July, there goes my holiday reading!! Ah well get one when I get back, save one for me!! Good luck, hope it sells out in no time!
    Cheers,

Alan

Its been very sad and I have been watching the progress of the OOCL Rotterdam, carrying my book as a very minor proportion of its cargo, from Hong Kong. The ship has just exited the Suez Canal and is heading across the Mediterranean. Should dock in Southampton on the 3rd. I should get my hands on the books soon after. Not that I am excited.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Not sad at all! I do it with all our shipments. You'll probably find 1/2 of SOTP watching the ship now!At least it got past the pirates OK!

Ray
    Happy to do this if it helps.

I will with MK's permission put up an offer and link in due course.
    Ray
    Are you still planning to do this or should we just email you directly?
    Bootstrap
    There's no such thing as inclement weather - you're just incorrectly dressed

Hi Ray
    So how much of this book did Mr Mears write for you

Only joking, now he's taught you how to paddle ....................................

Pete
    PS
    If you have some spare time me and a couple of others would like to spend another couple of days with your expert help. That's if you can put up with us again.
    We no nah fink

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bob View Post
    Happy to do this if it helps.

Are you still planning to do this or should we just email you directly?
    message me and I will sort for you. You can either pay by cheque or bank transfer. 16.99 to inc post and packing.

And the books have passed Scilly this evening.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Quote Originally Posted by tisme View Post
    Hi Ray
    So how much of this book did Mr Mears write for you

In his dreams!

Only joking, now he's taught you how to paddle ....................................

Hmmmmmm

Pete
    PS
    If you have some spare time me and a couple of others would like to spend another couple of days with your expert help. That's if you can put up with us again.
    I would love (did I really write that?) to see you again. Maybe well ok. Please be gentle.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Default Show me the money...

Ray, you've exceeded your PM count and need to clear out your inbox . I was looking to know the final cost?

Quote Originally Posted by sodajoe View Post
    Ray, you've exceeded your PM count and need to clear out your inbox . I was looking to know the final cost?
    just had a long overdue and quick edit of inbox. I have cleared enough room for now.

Total cost 16.99 for the book (not the inbox clearance).

Having looked through the inbox I will do and even bigger edit tomorrow.

Thanks

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Default New Book

Ray - PM sent

Best regards
    Duncan

The book is in the UK. It arrived in Southampton on Sunday. We are now waiting for it to arrive at the distributors before my order is forwarded to me. Hopefully I can start sending out orders this week.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

I have already cleared and dusted a little space on my bookshelf for it in anticipation. I reckon you are going to be licking a lot stamps this week !

I "popped in" to see Ray and drop off my cheque for "the book".
    I was invited to have a flick through and here are my thoughts...

Prior to looking at the book I was in a way regretting "jumping onto the band wagon" as I already own quite a few canoeing books and thought it may well be a waste of 16.99. A book to gather dust.

However, they say a picture is worth a thousand words...and years of getting the right pictures has paid off because had all this info been in the written word it would make War and Peace look like a post it note.

To all that have ordered it you will be very happy with it, to all that hasn't....well you'd better start writing that cheque, you won't regret it.

I am a happy paddler knowing that book is on its way to me

Cheers
    Tim
    Cheers
    Tim

Paddles a Prospector

Default Book arrival

The book finally made it to the distributor, Cordee, this morning. That means my orders will be with me Monday or Tuesday. We have the packaging and addresses sorted so will sending them out quickly after that. The long long journey is almost over.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Ray,

When's the online payment button getting fixed ??

Paul

hi Paul

Not being a techno type myself I have asked two separate folk to sort it for me. Neither have come through. I will have an attempt myself on Monday. Trouble is I work off of iweb which is easy for me to use until.......... Paypal button!

Meanwhile folk are paying by cheque or bank transfer.

PesdaPress.com do have a button payment system if you prefer.

Sorry about that.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

What you need Ray is a place where loads of canoeist will be in early September to sell your book. Somewhere you could do a little chat/presentation about it in the evening.

If only there was a place..............

Pete
    We no nah fink

Default It's on the way

For those of you that have ordered books: some were posted out this afternoon. The rest of the orders were packaged this afternoon/evening and will go out first thing tomorrow (Wed) morning.

Enjoy (I hope)

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Default Canoeing Book...

Quote Originally Posted by tisme View Post
    What you need Ray is a place where loads of canoeist will be in early September to sell your book. Somewhere you could do a little chat/presentation about it in the evening.

If only there was a place..............

Pete
    Ray,

Myself and the missus attend the Caravan Show at the NEC each January, more for a weekend away minus kids than to purchase, but it is a pleasant day out amongst Caravans, Boats, and Canoes and er...K****s
    Last year we stopped and chatted to The Canoe Man, plus his wife and their dog.
    TheCanoeMan.com
    The Canoe was a thing of beauty - strip planks with copper ( ? ) nails all lovingly restored - and where did this lead you may ask?
    We have since purchased a canadian canoe - trip reports etc elsewhere on this forum, and a matching dog...somehow I didn't get a caravan???
    Why not consider pitching up at these shows - there is The Outdoors Show as well, I have no idea how much it would cost, or even if it would be worthwhile in terms of profit, which reminds me to get my book ordered!
    Thanks for taking the time to bring this book to fruition in order that others may enjoy what many of us already know!
    Owain and Family ( plus Dog )

Gidday Ray,

Gonna attempt to be the furthest South owner of your new book.

Can you let me know the cost with Postage to Dunedin New Zealand, please.

Cheers
    It is not for glory,nor riches,nor honours that we are fighting,but for freedom-for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

http://www.gcphotographic.com/
    http://gcphotographic.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Elrond View Post
    Gidday Ray,

Gonna attempt to be the furthest South owner of your new book.

Can you let me know the cost with Postage to Dunedin New Zealand, please.

Cheers
    So two prices:

816.99 was the expensive way

Or Book 16.99 plus 10.92 postage so 27.91

Mind the expensive option would include hand delivery by me.

I have just checked on Amazon.co.uk and one of the sellers there is offering world wide delivery. It would be worth checking that out. While I was there I saw that they are selling the book cheaper than me. I love this world. Cannot complain as I have bought so many books from Amazon over the years.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Quote Originally Posted by owain harris View Post
    Ray,

Last year we stopped and chatted to The Canoe Man, plus his wife and their dog.
    TheCanoeMan.com

Owain and Family ( plus Dog )
    Just so that others are clear I am not the Canoe Man: I am a canoe man. :-)

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast