Thread: sailing backwards?

Default sailing backwards?

When I bought my canoe I envisaged fitting a kneeling thwart however I've found I'm able to kneel perfectly well by perching my backside on the edge of the front seat and paddling the boat backwards (it's symmetrical).
    Hopefully I'll be getting a Solway Dory Expedition Rig shortly and I've been wondering where to put the sailing thwart. Conventional wisdom seems to be to place it somewhere behind the front seat (and fit a kneeling thwart in the rear of the boat for solo paddling). However given that I'm happy paddling the canoe backwards when solo (and given that I'll almost always be sailing solo) is there any reason why I can't replace the existing thwart (in the rear of the canoe) with the sailing thwart and sail backwards as well? It looks like it'd be well positioned (I haven't measured it yet). I'll ask SD their opinions as well before I start drilling and glueing but has anyone else done this or heard of it being done?
    Last edited by Jurassic; 9th-February-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Sailing backwards is certainly possible in a wayfarer sailing dinghy!

OMG - the laughs we've had.!

I'll leave Keith and others to advise... but you really should try and get sight of Todd Bradshaw's book: aside from being beautifully written and illustrated... it's hugely informative. On Page 81, Bradshaw shows three layouts for a tandem canoe: one involves sailing with the canoe reversed, and his only argument against that is to do with the aesthetics of where you end up putting rudder fittings!

For anyone planning to use a fixed leeboard, all of this planning gets a whole lot more complicated as you've got the positioning of the leeboard bracket to consider. Using a clip on leeboard and steering with a paddle / side-mounted rudder eliminates both of the above from consideration... so you've got room for manouvre

Thanks Greg, yeah I really should get Bradshaw's book (I've heard so much about it). I was thinking that with a clip on leeboard and temporary rudder/paddle I should have a degree of flexibility where the sailing thwart ends up. As I said, I haven't been out with the tape measure yet but to my eyes the position of the existing rear thwart looks close to where I'd expect to mount a sailing thwart relative to the end of the canoe (but obviously the stern would be the bow in this case )
    I can't anticipate any occasion that I'd want to sail the canoe tandem (never say never though) although it is a tandem boat.

The position of the mast thwart is often a compromise of convenience and this is ok as long as it doesn't make it bad to sail. The relative mounting of the mast to the leeboard is more important than to the end of the canoe itself. The sail's centre of effort needs to be vertically in line with the leeboard viewed from the side - give or take an inch or two in practice. But if the leeboard is mounted on the gunwhale, clip-on style and is very far from the centre of the canoe it will not be parallel to the keeline and so may be less than ideal from the steering point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by windorpaddle View Post
    <snip>The relative mounting of the mast to the leeboard is more important than to the end of the canoe itself. The sail's centre of effort needs to be vertically in line with the leeboard viewed from the side - give or take an inch or two in practice. But if the leeboard is mounted on the gunwhale, clip-on style and is very far from the centre of the canoe it will not be parallel to the keeline and so may be less than ideal from the steering point of view.
    Forgive me, I am probably being thick here and misunderstanding you, windorpaddle, but does what you say above mean that there is a difference in practical effect between a leeboard mounted on a thwart, and one clipped on a gunnel? I can't get my head around the physics of that (perhaps because its late and time to go home from work). Thank you for explaining, because like Jurassic I am currently thinking through how to set up an Expedition rig on my canoe.
    All the best,
    ian

Ian, I think what Keith is getting at is that if you mounted your mast (sailing thwart) near the front of the canoe and used a clip on leeboard, the leeboard would have to be nearer to the front of the boat too in order to be in the right place relative to the sail. One problem with this would be that the leeboard would then be at an angle to the keel of the canoe due to the curve of the gunwale. If the mast (and leeboard) were closer to the centre of the boat, the leeboard would be almost parallel to the keel and so would work better.

Thank you, Jurassic. That is clear and should probably have been obvious to me in the first place. It has been a long day, I think!
    Sorry, Keith.
    Ian

Happy to be of assistance.

I have not tried every permutation in setting up the expedition rig, but i think that sailing the canoe backwards will work Ok. If you replace the rear thwart ( I think that is what you mean) with the mast thwart, it would be in a similar position to putting it behind the front seat and sailing it forward. The leeboard will go about 2ft behind the mast thwart to get a suitable balance, and is easy to move it forward or back to adjust this. If the rear thwart is a bit too close to the centre and there is plenty of room in front of the back seat (when paddling 2 up) you may be able to gain a bit of extra room in the centre by moving the mast thwart as close to the back seat as possible without interfering with the back paddler. (This sounds very confusing as ther are lots of back, forwards, backwards etc )
    Ideally the leeboard would be just forwards of the centre of the canoe and the mast 24inch to 30inch in front of that. But that is ideal. Most people fit it around their existing seat positions and i think this is the overiding factor- you dont want to impinge on your paddling.

Ian, I think what Keith is getting at is that if you mounted your mast (sailing thwart) near the front of the canoe and used a clip on leeboard, the leeboard would have to be nearer to the front of the boat too in order to be in the right place relative to the sail. One problem with this would be that the leeboard would then be at an angle to the keel of the canoe due to the curve of the gunwale. If the mast (and leeboard) were closer to the centre of the boat, the leeboard would be almost parallel to the keel and so would work better.
    ^What he said!^

I knew when I wrote it that it might be unclear. I was at work and in a hurry...

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    I have not tried every permutation in setting up the expedition rig, but i think that sailing the canoe backwards will work Ok. If you replace the rear thwart ( I think that is what you mean) with the mast thwart, it would be in a similar position to putting it behind the front seat and sailing it forward. The leeboard will go about 2ft behind the mast thwart to get a suitable balance, and is easy to move it forward or back to adjust this. If the rear thwart is a bit too close to the centre and there is plenty of room in front of the back seat (when paddling 2 up) you may be able to gain a bit of extra room in the centre by moving the mast thwart as close to the back seat as possible without interfering with the back paddler. (This sounds very confusing as ther are lots of back, forwards, backwards etc )
    Ideally the leeboard would be just forwards of the centre of the canoe and the mast 24inch to 30inch in front of that. But that is ideal. Most people fit it around their existing seat positions and i think this is the overiding factor- you dont want to impinge on your paddling.
    Thanks Dave. I was out for a paddle in my canoe today and had a good look at the relative positioning of the rear thwart compared to where I estimate a mast thwart would be sited if it were placed conventionally at the front of the boat. It appears to be very similar in relation to the distance from the end of the canoe so I'm hopeful this will work out well for me. I also estimate that it will position the leeboard in roughly the right area working on the figures that you quote above. I'll have to get my tape measure out next time to confirm this.

Drop Stephen a PM Chris, he did a good job on his boat last year.

It certainly worked a treat on our trip to Loch Sheil last June
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Drop Stephen a PM Chris, he did a good job on his boat last year.

It certainly worked a treat on our trip to Loch Sheil last June
    Hi Rich, yeah cheers I will. I was secretly checking out his sailing rig when I met you guys the other week and since we got back I've reread your blog and watched your excellent videos again.
    I was over at your potential campsite today (it was beautiful out there) I hope you have a great trip and wish I could join you.

Nice piccy mate, hope it's like that tomorrow morning when I get there.

Looks like my stash of dry wood is a foot under water though
    Rich