Thread: Thames campsite that allows campfires / BBQs?

Default Thames campsite that allows campfires / BBQs?

Hi all,

Am planning a 2 day canoe trip on the Thames in April this year.

Would be great to hear any experiences on the best campsites on the upper Thames.

I'm hoping to find a quiet site on an island perhaps. Maybe one that allows campfires or BBQs?

I've heard/read that the lock sites are quite nice.

Any tips / thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Hi

Your best bet would be a firebox, then you should have no problem. This could be a bought purpose made one, or it could be a 3 bucket BBQ from Tescos!

Lock campsites are good, have used Pinkhill & Eynsham. The latter does allow fires in one big pit. Doubt you'd have any problem using a firebox/bbq at any of the others either, as long as it was raised off the grass & left no trace.

Have camped at Radcot (basic facilities in pub), Ferrymans at Bablock Hythe - no fires I would say (similar), Oxford Caravan Club site (good facilities but prices & noisy road/rail, used fireboxes no problem), Clifton Hampden (OK but pricey), Wallingford Bridge Villa (posh facilities, fine with fireboxes).

This thread has links to useful other websites http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...6-River-Thames

My recommendation would definitely be the upper reaches between Cricklade & Oxford. I reckon Rushey might be worth a go as the campsite, looked nice when we passed it, but small so ring ahead.

If you want to see pictures of the river, search the blogs section for "The Quest", a series of trips we're doing, working our way down the river from Cricklade one weekend at a time.

Enjoy!
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

I've stayed at Rushey and Pinkhill both very nice campsites. Rushey is a little cheaper as it only has a loo and wash basin, Pinkhill has a shower. Basic but adequate. There is upgrading of facilities going on at some locks which look very smart.

I went in April last year (avoiding Bank Holidays) from Lechlade to Oxford and I was the only one on the campsites. I didn't book ahead but got the impression the lockies would prefer it if you did, they were all very helpful.

Thanks guys - great info.
    The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

Have a look at my blog for Lechlade Oxford there's some info at the end which might be useful.

Also have a look at the Thames site if you haven't already found it.

Shifford Lock is an Edwardian idyll
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father