Thread: Hi From West Yorkshire

Default Hi From West Yorkshire

Hi all,
    Just invested in a mad river explorer 16 tt, I am new to canoing and any advice or tips are welcome , I come from a sailing background , but still feel a need to get to parts of rivers and areas a bigger boat can not get to. and try to satisfy the call of the paddle, Ive been monitoring this site for a couple of weeks now, and find it a friendly and knowledgeable site and looking forward to meeting a few of you, Peter.

Let me be the first to welcome you - as I was welcomed here just a short time ago. Hope you enjoy the site - and the new canoe. I have one and it has been a great river canoe and does well enough on lakes too.

I have some ancestors from Yorkshire. They lived in East Ardsley. Going to have to come see it someday though I hear it is a bit less pastoral than when they lived there.

PG

Welcome Pete

I am sure with a background on the water you will soon adapt to the canoe. We have a few members in the Yorkshire area now, I think. I could be wrong as I get easily confused with the areas in England. A confusion that is not helped when the middle bit of England keeps getting referred to as "The North"

Any questions or problems just ask.

PS Pierre I deleted the multiple posting. Probably caused by an INTERNET gremlin
    John

Smile Canoeing in Bedfordshire

Hi, I'm a member of Leighton Buzzard Canoe club. We generally take part in flat water marathon and sprint racing, but there are a number of Touring Canoes in use int he club.

We are keen to find different places for day trips in the Bedfordshire area, (at least within an hours drive of Leighton Buzzard). So if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Derrick

Default welcome to the fold

hi, pete k, i,m from castleford any where near you? i am still looking for an open canoe at the moment reading reveiws checking prices etc (tight git realy)have you been out on yours yet?hope you enjoy it. best wishes rob sample

Hi pete. Where abouts in west yorkshire are you?. Last week I paddled up the Calder and Hebble Navigation from The Navigation Inn Durker (just off the M1 J39) to Horbury bridge Portaged from the Canal to the River calder and returned down the River. about 4 miles in all. River is grade 1ish there is a grade 2 rapid just upstream of where I put back in.
    John as far as the Media is concerned anywhere North of Watford is the North and as for Scotland well they probably dont realise you'r part of the same land mass!

David B
    P.S. think its about time i had some wity saying or picture as a signature.
    Last edited by David B; 30th-January-2006 at 05:11 PM.

Hi David Thanks for your reply ,
    I live in village called Queensbury between Halifax and Bradford,not too far away from the area you are paddling, When i get to grips with the canoe, I would like to paddle the area, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by rob sample
    hi, pete k, i,m from castleford any where near you? i am still looking for an open canoe at the moment reading reveiws checking prices etc (tight git realy)have you been out on yours yet?hope you enjoy it. best wishes rob sample
    Hi Rob From Queensbury near Halifax, I know what you mean about looking, it took me a while to make a decision And longer to part with the cash, I get the canoe Sat 04/02 I hope its a nice weekend. The wife thinks i have gone mad. Peter

If you add yourselves to the GoogleMap you will all be able to tell where you are.

David B
    P.S. think its about time i had some wity saying or picture as a signature.
    How about the old Indian saying

"No Indian ever drowned on a portage"

Always been one of my favourites.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    If you add yourselves to the GoogleMap you will all be able to tell where you are.
    How is that done? I've gone to the map but am unable to "add" myself.

PG

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard
    How is that done? I've gone to the map but am unable to "add" myself.

PG
    Try this link and see if it helps

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...05&postcount=3
    John

Got it, with a little help from my son.

PG

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard
    Got it, with a little help from my son.

PG
    Looks like you are spoilt for choice for paddling near you
    John