Thread: The Thames Has Frozen!!

Default The Thames Has Frozen!!

Only happened once in my lifetime in Jan/Feb 1997....

To be honest, I wasn't expecting it.

I decided I was going for a Boxing Day Paddle, got my gear ready, flask, mince pies, drysuit, buoy aid, etc...

Drove to my usual put in, got the boat off the roof, got suited up, which is always a bit of hassle...(starting to think I should have got a front entry drysuit?) dragged the boat through the gate and over the old toll bridge, only to notice that the whole Thames is frozen solid! Only a couple of little bits of water remained!

Gutted but amazed at the same time...!

Hope things thaw quickly, as I have the week off and want to go for a paddle!
    Last edited by wavecloud; 26th-December-2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: To Add Pics.

:d:d:d:d

An event to remember and speak off in years to come. Especially hard on the local wildlife at this time.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Eton on the banks of the River Thames between Windsor and Slough

Wow! Our bit has ice at the edges and more in 'our' backwater, but nowhere near freezing right over! (except in the lock cuts just in front of the gates).
    Fran

Photobucket stole my sig

Default wow

That is amazing Dave...very beautiful photos though and others have said something to remember.......you need to head towards some saly estuaries...going to have a paddle on the Deben tommorrow (once the family have all gone)...stunning this evening....glassy still...just waiting for a boat to cut through the stillness!

Hope it thaws soon so you can paddle!

Default Thats realy cool !

Cor blimy, if its been this bad before January, its going to be sometime to wait for a paddle.

I had a shock too!

Set out today to paddle the Severn Estuary only to stop off at Newnham on Severn to see a mass of huge broken up chunks of ice coming down the river. Looked just like drifting pack ice.

With viz down to a max of 25 metres we thought better of it!

Steve

Thumbs down

Crikey, no fishing this holiday then.

Excellent shots. I'm curious as to why the Thames normally does NOT freeze. The only time we were in England was over Christmas, and it certainly was cold enough to freeze smaller bodies of water. I know that the Gulf Stream protects England, even though England is so far north.

The Charles in Boston is a much smaller volume river than the Thames, and the Charles River Basin freezes most winters. But Atlanta's Chattahoochee River really never freezes, nor do any rivers in Georgia.

Nice photo's Dave, really like this one...

Just got back from Ludlow were the river Teme is frozen solid too, apart from the weirs!!
    Was -15 c the past 2 nights and not much warmer during the day!
    -------------------------------------------

Feeding the addiction one paddle at a time.......

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post

Gutted but amazed at the same time...!

These guys look a bit amazed too!!!! So...it IS true that it´s cold there now????
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

yup its a bad winter, these pics below were taken on Christmas eve, on the edge of Morecambe Bay at the Greenoddd Estuary (saltwater), this is where the River Crake feed from Coniston, River leven feed from Windermere, and the Russland Pool feed from Esthwaite, converge. I was shocked to see icebergs or to give them there proper term "Growlers".

The only lakes that are not frozen in the district are Windermere and Ullswater, Coniston is half frozen the rest are solid.

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ezwater View Post
    Excellent shots. I'm curious as to why the Thames normally does NOT freeze. The only time we were in England was over Christmas, and it certainly was cold enough to freeze smaller bodies of water. I know that the Gulf Stream protects England, even though England is so far north.

The Charles in Boston is a much smaller volume river than the Thames, and the Charles River Basin freezes most winters. But Atlanta's Chattahoochee River really never freezes, nor do any rivers in Georgia.
    Well considering Georgia is on the same latitude as Algeria, Israel, Iraq and Iran, I'm not surprised it never freezes.

As for our cold winter here, I am convinced that the Gulf Stream has been turned off and:

a) the government is keeping it secret to avoid mass panic
    or
    b) the government was responsible for turning it off, to distract attention from economic woes, various cut backs and Vince Cable
    or
    c) insert conspiracy theory of choice...

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Journal Entries

Georgia..... not cold at all....
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Well considering Georgia is on the same latitude as Algeria, Israel, Iraq and Iran, I'm not surprised it never freezes.

As for our cold winter here, I am convinced that the Gulf Stream has been turned off and:

a) the government is keeping it secret to avoid mass panic
    or
    b) the government was responsible for turning it off, to distract attention from economic woes, various cut backs and Vince Cable
    or
    c) insert conspiracy theory of choice...
    North Atlantic Oscilation or La NAO it's like our version of El nino. I first read about this in a Surf mag in 1998. It definatly seems like we get less Atlantic Low pressure systems.

I think that LaNao is happening right now! Folk say that this goes against global warming, but it's global warming that is causing it. As the ice cap slowly melts it changes the salinity of the sea around the north Atlantic. It's the salinity that keeps the Gulf stream(North Atlantic Drift) moving.

I think that the Thames has frozen this year so early because it is SO low for this time of year, actually lower than it's been in the summer, which was a VERY dry one as well. So the Thames would normally be flowing rather fast in December.

It was VERY low in 1997 when it froze then.

Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    yup its a bad winter, these pics below were taken on Christmas eve, on the edge of Morecambe Bay at the Greenoddd Estuary (saltwater), this is where the River Crake feed from Coniston, River leven feed from Windermere, and the Russland Pool feed from Esthwaite, converge. I was shocked to see icebergs or to give them there proper term "Growlers".

The only lakes that are not frozen in the district are Windermere and Ullswater, Coniston is half frozen the rest are solid.

I love these pics - if the sea freezes proper, then, I'm thinking the Gulf Stream has STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBR View Post

Georgia..... not cold at all....

Like it Tony, like it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Wow! Our bit has ice at the edges and more in 'our' backwater, but nowhere near freezing right over! (except in the lock cuts just in front of the gates).

I did wonder if you would get on the water today on your stretch?

Did you get any pics Fran?

Madness. Madness i tell ya. Thames frozen? Its the end of everything....we're all doomed...

Get those runners fitted to those canoes for the nexr Quest in January folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Grey View Post
    Madness. Madness i tell ya. Thames frozen? Its the end of everything....we're all doomed...

Get those runners fitted to those canoes for the nexr Quest in January folks!
    What's it like down your way Mal?

Mal Grey said, "Madness. Madness i tell ya. Thames frozen? Its the end of everything....we're all doomed..."

Was this madness foretold in the Rogers & Hammerstein song, "Surrey With the Fringe on Top"?

Default pack ice in Pembrokeshire

Over the last week chunks of ice have appeared in the tidal and salty eastern cleddau and the incoming tide pushes this pack ice into the inlet at the bottom of our garden; when the tide goes out and the water level drops it is freezing and leaving an ice layer over the grass; also the mud saltings have been freezing solid; lowest temperature I have recorded here this winter is balmy compared to rest of UK at -11C.
    We are the same latitude as Montreal but our maritime climate usually protects us; if the Gulf Stream stops then canoeing is going to be a summer sport only.
    The main concern is wildlife particularly small birds.

Quote Originally Posted by wavecloud View Post
    What's it like down your way Mal?

Not sure! im at my folks! Trent is clear though!

Great photos Dave. Only a few edges of the Thames are frozen at Wallingford.

Went for a Boxing day walk rather than attempting canoeing and saw the suprised the ducks and swans here too. One cygnet saw so unerved at the slipperyness of the ice that it sat down and pulled itself back over the ice to the water - either that or it thought it was water and was trying to paddle. Might upload the video later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushkin View Post
    Great photos Dave. Only a few edges of the Thames are frozen at Wallingford.

Went for a Boxing day walk rather than attempting canoeing and saw the suprised the ducks and swans here too. One cygnet saw so unerved at the slipperyness of the ice that it sat down and pulled itself back over the ice to the water - either that or it thought it was water and was trying to paddle. Might upload the video later.
    Come on Hannah - let's see the cygnet clip

Any pics of the Cleddau TT? I'd like to see that

David

There you go Dave - cygnet on ice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botiAXnYFWA

Quote Originally Posted by Pushkin View Post
    There you go Dave - cygnet on ice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botiAXnYFWA
    Fantastic - silly bird

Thanks for posting!

We put in the Thames at Kelmscott on Boxing day.

We took a huge old fibreglass thing that I don't care for too much to use as an icebreaker, and a more comfy inflatable to follow in it's path. And for safety we had someone on the bank with a throw line (plus there was no way my Mum was going to paddle in a frozen river with us 'idiots')

It was frozen right across in places to the point where we couldn't get a paddle through and had to turn back at one particularly bad bit.

The bit we did manage was worth it though. Water on the fabric of the inflatable froze solid, as did any wet rope. And one of us had a drysuit on and couldn't resist a quick swim afterward (well - he is a 65 year old kid after all).

My Mum took some photos from the bank so I'll try to get some on here.

Great, sounds like good fun......bring on the pics