Thread: Kids, what do your kids wear?

Default Kids, what do your kids wear?

Hi folks,

We are getting a few family paddlers on here now and I was wondering what kit you dress the kids in? Different condition, grades, games, multi-day trips. My kids are 5 and 8. The oldest has one his first orienteering comp today so he is very pleased.

For flat water when it is pleasant, normal clothes, fleeces etc with waterproofs over the top with wellies.

On rivers, depending on season, summer as above and cooler conditions they put their steamer wetsuits on with wellies. I tend to fit them out with their cycle helmets, the polystyrene helps their heavy heads float.

I do not paddle more than grade 2 with the kids, they find that fun but coping with the swim would be difficult. The oldest is begining to paddle properly for very short periods, I hope to borrow a Duet for him to try solo paddling.

Big multi-day trips are to come later this year, but I don't expect a problem.

Games, I am not going to start here yet.

I look forward to your replies.

Paul Booker

Journal Entries

My two girls are 6 and 7 and for summer it is waterproofs and wellies unless it is a scorching day in which case it is "T" shirts shorts and sandals. In both situations a PFD obviously.

I only paddle flat water and I have to say my girls are not really keen on canoeing yet so have not taken them on any river trips. I plan to try and get them more interested this year but we will see.

Journal Entries

We have only done a few trips so far. Our son has just turned 7 and our daughter is 4, she would probably go river swimming now if we let her, sometimes I think she is totally fearless.

Generally the trips we've been on so far the kids have worn shortie wetsuits with normal clothing over them, summer long sleeved light tops and light weight walking trousers. Cooler weather they wear their fleeces and waterproof over the top. If they get too hot we pull in to the edge and let them go for a swim, or strip of a layer. we always take a couple of changes just in case. They love sailing and euan wants to have a shot at kayaking in the summer, he still struggles with a canoe paddle though. But so long as he enjoys.

we're not that experianced yet so haven't take them on any water that was flowing fast. The North Esk is right next to the house though so we have talked about trying it, though we need to practice without the kids to let us get more confident.
    We do however have problems with baby sitters. we're hoping to get more instruction on moving water this year but we may have to go individually unless I persuade my sister that she would like having my kids for a weekend.

conglatulations to your son on the orienteering front , i'll have to try that with the children some day Euan is happy to study maps for hours.

Anyways happy paddling any advice would be gratefully recived.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Journal Entries

forgot to say they either wear wet shoes or wellies depending where we are.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Journal Entries

My kids have never worn anything special. If they are canoeing on our lake or river - it is whatever thay have on. They often canoe in swim wear. On trips - it is usually just jeans and hooded sweatshirts - if it is cold, or shorts and t-shirts - if it is hot. For footwear they wear tennis shoes. If it rains they wear rain jacket and pants. The only special thing we all have is big handkerchiefs and brimmed hats for sun protection.

PG

Question child safety

Hi guys.

I'm hoping to go paddling with my 3 year old daughter in the Spring.

I've read in "Cradle to canoe" (link below), that kids should wear PFD's with a crotch fastening so you can yank them out of the water without the PFD riding up and pulling off them. Do any of you guys agree? If so - where can I get these types of PFD?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...958675-4083018

Also - how many adults per child would you recommend in a boat when paddling on flat water (canal or lake)?

I'm thinking I would be fine with just myself and my daughter. However, if I had a problem (can't think what) then my daughter would be on her own. I've got mates who could come along so thats not a problem. Just interested to hear other people's views on this.

I would certainly go for 2 adults per 1-2 kids on moving water.

I guess it all depends on the weather, the water conditions, the paddling experience, etc.

Cheers.

Journal Entries

Sounds like an interesting book. Just ordered it through www.abebooks.co.uk

I have two kids, a daughter aged 11 and a son aged 5. We've only taken them out paddling in the summer so far, and they wore wind/water proofs or light weight summer gear depending upon weather. Hat's are essential, for both sun and rain protection. Both have light weight wet shoes which seem to work fine.

On the PFD front, kids should definitely have leg straps on their PFDs. I thought they all came like that now! Both my kids PFDs have them. Because kids have so little body mass, it's difficult to get a PFD really tight on them, and there is a real risk of it riding up, not just when you haul them out, but when they're floating in the water.

Young kids should ideally have a float section behind their heads to ensure their head stays out of the water. Crewsaver ceretainly do PFDs that fit both these options. http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hill_billy
    Hi guys.

I'm hoping to go paddling with my 3 year old daughter in the Spring.

I've read in "Cradle to canoe" (link below), that kids should wear PFD's with a crotch fastening so you can yank them out of the water without the PFD riding up and pulling off them. Do any of you guys agree? If so - where can I get these types of PFD?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...958675-4083018

Also - how many adults per child would you recommend in a boat when paddling on flat water (canal or lake)?

I'm thinking I would be fine with just myself and my daughter. However, if I had a problem (can't think what) then my daughter would be on her own. I've got mates who could come along so thats not a problem. Just interested to hear other people's views on this.

I would certainly go for 2 adults per 1-2 kids on moving water.

I guess it all depends on the weather, the water conditions, the paddling experience, etc.

Cheers.
    I often paddled with just Sara and I starting when she was three year old. Her first memory is of the two of us canoeing. When we were on our lake - she wore no life jacket. She was an early swimmer. Once we were canoeing over to a neighbors across the lake. When we reached a dock on the other side of the lake, one of the neighbor's kids stepped on the gunwale while we were at dockside. My daughter got trapped under the canoe when it flipped. I dove and grabbed her, but she was calm as could be. She said, "I knew you'd get me." She's always been a cool cucumber. She was wearing a life jacket that time, but it made things worse - rather than better - forcing her up under the overturned canoe.

With our kids we bought life jackets, jacket type, that had a collar floatation piece with would keep their heads out of water. I was also going to mention the horse collar type 2 that was the newest thing when I was younger, but after reading a couple of websites - I find they are no longer too highly rated. I know it sure was a to paddle while wearing one.

http://www.boatingsafety.com/lifejack.htm

One of the guys I work with tore apart several life jackets and rigged an infant's car seat with floatation so they could bring their infant son on wilderness canoe trips. The son has now graduated to a life jacket and his baby sister is riding the floating car seat.

I had my grandson out for a turn around the lake this autumn - while Wing yelled endless instructions at me from shore. He was eight months at the time. I wasn't worried. Babys float well.

PG
    Last edited by pierre girard; 31st-January-2006 at 10:03 AM.

Default constant food

we have paddled all four of us in one boat (untill the sons outgrew us) warm clothes and plenty of food to keep their energy levels up and mood good. we have even fed our older son small chunks of chocolate to get him to make it home...while he kept on paddling (fledgling style). we were always wary of over-heatng and over-cooling but managed to put in some miles. have fun!

Thumbs up Great encouragement

Hi Y'all.

My little girl is 2, and we are gearing up to take her canoeing this spring and summer. We were thinking of waiting until she can properly swim, but "Cradle to Canoe" and Bill Mason - plus some serious consideration - have made us feel that was unecessarily paranoid.

We took her on a couple of 100 yard floats on the canal with no BA in the autumn, and she loved it, so it is definitely off to get her a life jacket from Brookbank in a couple of weeks - and I think a childs paddle too. She'll appreciate that, I suspect. And get in the way a lot .

We intend to paddle only flatwater with her this year, although I suppose we might try a grade 1 "float" - you know the kind of water I mean. We'll see.

She loves the water (always jumps in the pool on "1" of "1 - 2 - 3") so I just hope we can keep her out of it.

Has anyone ever had to "life save" a child any distance to shore? If so, any tips? Not that I expect this at all, but it pays to think things through in advance.

Anyway - very nice to hear that others are taking their young ones canoeing. Thanks for the encouragement!

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by happybunny
    Hi Y'all.

My little girl is 2, and we are gearing up to take her canoeing this spring and summer. We were thinking of waiting until she can properly swim, but "Cradle to Canoe" and Bill Mason - plus some serious consideration - have made us feel that was unecessarily paranoid.

We took her on a couple of 100 yard floats on the canal with no BA in the autumn, and she loved it, so it is definitely off to get her a life jacket from Brookbank in a couple of weeks - and I think a childs paddle too. She'll appreciate that, I suspect. And get in the way a lot .

We intend to paddle only flatwater with her this year, although I suppose we might try a grade 1 "float" - you know the kind of water I mean. We'll see.

She loves the water (always jumps in the pool on "1" of "1 - 2 - 3") so I just hope we can keep her out of it.

Has anyone ever had to "life save" a child any distance to shore? If so, any tips? Not that I expect this at all, but it pays to think things through in advance.

Anyway - very nice to hear that others are taking their young ones canoeing. Thanks for the encouragement!

Ben
    Hi Ben,

Sounds like you are in a similar position to me. My daughter is 2 but will turn 3 in March - about the time I buy my first boat. I'll try out some canals and calm rivers in and around Bristol / Bath when it gets warmer.

Let me know how you get on - since our kids seem a similar age.

Cheers.

Question

2 girls, one 14 and one of 12 going on 21 !!

The 12 year old is the paddler.

Paddled in France last year and on the Spey in Scotland with fleeces and full but lightweight waterproofs if raining or windy, with fleeces underneath.

Mate had two kids in his boat on grade 2+ (just, - technical, but no real volume to the water) Not a good idea to take 2 kids on any more than grade 2 surely. You can't 'save' both of them !

I have a problem - I want to take my 12 year old down water that is a good grade 3 when the water's up, but am worried about her swimming. Should it go pear-shaped, I need to know for certain that she would swim for the bank/eddy only when it is safe to do so, and not instinctively. This might entail being 'bounced about' a bit first. Bits of the Dart loop, Usk, Wye - most rivers actually - have lots of potential 'strainers' in higher water (i.e. when they're worth doing)

She keeps asking me to go - What's the answer ?

Default swimmers!

our sons both did the PRSI safety course on the tryweryn, bala north wales www.ukwhitewater.co.uk they got expereicne of throwing themselves in; how to swim for protection and to self-rescue; catching a throwline etc. excellant coach; kit hire. highly recommended for anyone wanting river expereince in safety before taking a swim unexpectedly.