Thread: Handmade Leather "Tinder Bags" - Dark Green

Talking Handmade Leather "Tinder Bags" - Dark Green

Well, last year I made some leather bags of a size that I use for tinder, but which are flexible enough for a variety of other uses. I enjoyed them, so made some to sell, and others seemed to enjoy them too (as you can see on last year's thread at http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...er-Tinder-Bags), so I thought I'd make some more. The new bags are basically the same as last year's batch, but this time they are in a dark green leather which is a little softer than the old red. They are also just a touch bigger, just because of the sizes of leather pieces that I had.

Fuller description:
    These are a simple “flat” design (two pieces of leather sewn at the edges), but with a flattened “D” shape bottom, so that it will stand up once stuff is inside it. The closure is using paracord and a spring toggle. But what am I writing about it for – you can see it in the pictures.

A basic "record shot" to give you the size:

(Note that a very wide tape measure was used - these bags are just over 7" across.)

A closer shot to give you more idea of the leather and the closure:

Another shot, just for fun:

A three-bag set:

I use mine to hold my birchbark etc., and it seems to me to be:
    • practical - big enough to hold a useful amount of tinder, and to be easy to get things in and out of, and with simple opening and closing, that seals well enough so I don't get bark-y bits inside my dry bags
    • tough – both the leather and the closure
    • attractive – there is just something nice about leather bags. They just feel “bushcrafty” and proper, somehow.

I've been really pleased with mine, and the people I've given them to as presents or sold them too seem to have been pleased as well. Even though I've not been able to do as much canoeing as I would have liked this year, I've still got the bug, and hope to do more next year, and so I thought I'd make up some more to sell, and hopefully enable me to get some bits of outdoor gear I'm currently in need of.

So: 6.50 each, delivered (in the UK), and I'll swallow the PayPal fees.

10% discount if you buy 3 or more, making a set of 3 17.55.

A few more notes for anyone interested:
    • The size (external dimensions of the flattened bag) are roughly 18 x 25 cm (7 x 10 in)
    • I went for the cord rather than leather thongs as I've found the latter either have to be inconveniently thick, or are a bit prone to snapping. I also quite like the harmony of old and new materials, using each where it is best :-) For the pedantic (and why not...) this is 3mm polypropylene cord, not true paracord.
    • I went for the toggle rather than a knot as it is simple and reliable, even when tired, or with wet or cold (or even gloved) hands. The toggles have stainless steel springs.
    • I went for the flat bag design as although it doesn't stand as stably as a design with a separate base, it is very easy to make, hence the low price, and if a tinder bag falls over, it isn't critically important. (I've made myself a few flat bottomed bags for cooking ingredients where a fall-over might lead to a serious spillage, but the sewing is trickier, and they will have to cost more. I'll try to make some up for sale in due course...)
    • I only have them made up in this green leather. I know this doesn't have the “romance” of being reindeer hide or anything like that, but it is good, green recycling, as this was from a leather sofa, and would otherwise have ended up in landfill, and I find that quite satisfying. I could make some more out of the remains of last year's red leather. If anyone is desperate for that, pm me.
    • Do I make things that are any good? I hope so – if you want some evidence, try http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...-sewing-frenzy. See also the comments on last year's bags at http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...er-Tinder-Bags.
    • If for some reason you want to see the full resolution versions of these pictures (8MP plus) then visit http://www.happyclayton.net/gallery/v/sotppics/ and you can click through to them.
    • I'm charging a little more than last year due to the time these take, in getting hold of the leather as well as making them. I hope no-one minds - believe me, I couldn't make a living out of them at this price. Just a hobby for some paddling money and the enjoyment of making them .

So, here's hoping some more people might consider these bags worth six-and-a-half quid, and find them as handy as I have. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Ben
    One year olds want four meals a day: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Paper...
    Two year olds want whatever is most dangerous to get to... (Then to throw it on the floor.)

Default Leather "Tinder Bags" Now 6

Hi All,

Hope you've had a good Christmas.

Since I'm not selling these (odd, as I couldn't make enough of them last year ) I'll have a post-Christmas sale, 6 each, and still 10% discount if you buy three or more . Delivery (in the UK) included.

I think these are a nice little bushcrafty item to pop in your dry bag using a bit of your Christmas money . Anyone want one?

Ben
    Two year olds want whatever is most dangerous to get to... (Then to throw it on the floor.)

Default These are great!

Leather bags like this are well worth including in your gear. You can use them for all sorts of items, not just "bushcrafty" kit.

good luck with this and very well done

atb

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Hi , I would like one tinder bag in green if you still have some . Tim

Default PM Sent

Quote Originally Posted by TECUMSEH View Post
    Hi , I would like one tinder bag in green if you still have some . Tim
    Hi Tim,

I do have some - I've sent you a PM so we can sort getting one to you.

All the best,
    Ben

Hi Ben , Thanks for the tinder bag that arrived swiftly . It is a good size , and tough . I certainly hope to be putting it to good use very soon ! Tim

Default Glad you like it.

Hi Tim,
    Glad it has arrived safely, and that you like it. Enjoy
    Ben

Hi Ben,

Do you still have any of these available?

Thanks

Default 3 Left

Hi mph,

Yes, I do - I have 3 left. I've been selling them on eBay for 7.49 each (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Handmade-Leath...ht_3768wt_1070), but if you want some, the SotP member price is still 6.50 each, or if you want all three 10% off, making 17.55.
    Paypal preferred (I'll swallow the fees) - pm me if you want one/some. They are good bags, imho.

Ben

pm sent

Bag arrived today - very quick!

Great quality and is much bigger than I expected - thanks very much Ben!

Now to find some kindling...

Default Glad you like it.

Enjoy...

Ben

Question

Hi happybunny,
    Just wondering if you have any of your leather bags left?
    Geoff

Default 1 (or 2) left

Hi,

I have 1 left.

Actually I have two left, but the second one has a tiny cut in the bottom a couple of mm long in a V shape - you would only notice if you examine the bag very closely. I made the bag before I noticed the flaw in the leather.

If you want the perfect one, 6.50. If you want them both, call it 11.

PM me if you want one or both, and I'll give you my email to PayPal to.

Thanks for your interest,
    Ben

Thumbs up Received two tinder bags

Just to say I received two tinder bags from Happybunny, and just have to say they are excellent. I will be using one for all my fire starting kit because there is loads of room in them unlike many found for sale in many other sites, and cheaper too:-)
    They were bought on Wednesday evening via paypal and landed on my doorstep on Saturday so excellent fast delivery.
    Many thanks
    Geoff

Default All gone.

Glad you like them. May they serve you well.

These are all gone for now. I'll try to make some more when I get time.

Ben

Default More Handmade Leather "Tinder Bags"

Hi All,

I've just made up another batch of 9 leather "tinder bags", just as described above.

I made up a batch of a similar size last year, and mostly sold them on eBay, but my main motivation is to add money to the "second canoe" fund, with the aim of some family canoe camping trips next year, so I thought I'd put them up here first.

They are again 6.50 each, or 10% off if you buy 3 or more. (That makes 17.55 for 3.) Normal post is included, and I'll swallow the paypal fees. I was selling them for 7.49 on eBay, too, and I'll list them at that again, so SotP gets the right price

Everyone that has had them seems pleased, so if anyone wants any, drop me a PM.

Ben

Looking good HB!

Have got some nice brown dyed through stuff similar to that so I might just have a go tomorrow. Leftovers from my apron.

Cheers for the inspiration,
    Graeme
    Chaste Snow-drop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
    And pensive monitor of fleeting years!

Default Helpful video

Hi Graeme,

You might find this video handy if you are thinking of giving this a go. http://youtu.be/G1e_FOsOAIs
    (Or it might be teaching granny to suck eggs.)

Ben

My Granny don't suck eggs - likes a nice Ruby though! (I'm always glad to learn).

Thanks for the video. Sean is a mate of mine on Facebook, never met him but part we're part of the same craft group, etc.

The plate to round of the edges was a great idea and the use of the leather sofa sample book is ingenious. Now if I 4 braid some jute twine and make an antler toggle, it could look quite good in the end. If, that is, my stitching is having a good day....

Cheers again,
    Graeme
    Chaste Snow-drop, venturous harbinger of Spring,
    And pensive monitor of fleeting years!

Default Way ahead of me

Sounds like you are way ahead of me! I'd like to try some proper leathercraft some time - wet forming and the like. Time, time... I'm having fun with these, though. I don't do it quite the Sean way, but that video was instrumental in getting me started.
    Ben

Ben,

Just seen this thread go live again (clearly not that alert recently).

If you still have 3 available I will take them.

Let me know (by PM) payment details and I will sned you my address

Thanks

Hugh

Edited as my first attempt said - just seen this threat go live again - and I doubt that these bags are that dangerous!!
    Last edited by hsevans; 6th-November-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Correct spelling

Hi Hugh,

I certainly have 3. Still 10% off the special SotP price, so 17.55.

I'll send you a PM with payment detail.

Thanks for the interest!

Ben

Ben,

Bags arrived today - outstanding workmanship. Many thanks.

The only problem now is deciding what to put in them - they seem too good for tinder and other odds and ends.

Thanks again

Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Really glad you are pleased.

I still have about half a dozen left if anyone else wants any. (Sorry about the shameless plug...)

Ben

These are now all gone - some via eBay, some via PMs on here.

I've got some freestanding "Flour Bags" (I call them that as they are sized to hold a normal supermarket bag of flour) part made - I'll start a thread listing them soon.

We are on a mission to get a second canoe for some family overnight trips this year, so thanks to all who have purchased. Much appreciated!

Ben